X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Timbo
    • Jan 2006

Bi-Amped "Phoenix" design

Hi, I absolutly do not know what I am doing, as you will see in my post. I think I would like to build a design using the Phoenix concepts...seperate di-pole woofers and a seperate di-pole main panel. I hope drive them with two seperate SS amps 350/channel on the woofers 200/channel on the main panels. I would probably try to control the distribution to the two amps using a external Berhinger or DBX drive rack type unit. I know all of the wonderful work that has been done to create active crossovers with this design, but I do not think that is in my skill set at this time. Can I / is it possible to create a passive di-pole main panel using off the shelf crossovers designed for a MTM system. i.e. can I get the "Odin" parts & crossovers from Madisound and use this for my di-pole panels....AND can I substitue the Seas W22 for the W18 and still use the same X-O ????

Like I said, I know nothing, just want to build on others work who know more than me......
  • joecarrow
    • Apr 2005

In short, "No."

-Crossovers (especially for an open baffle like Phoenix) have very specific functions
    -Different drivers almost always need changes to crossovers- especially passive crossovers
    -The drivers chosen by Linkwitz were very carefully considered, changes should be weighed just as carefully with a lot of knowledge

Some food for thought:

-200 watts is probably overkill for an open baffle dipole
    -For good results, consider building an established design, asking questions for any possible changes
    -For good learning, consider getting set up to do measurement (or at least simulation), and start with low-cost drivers in a two-way.
    -Joe Carrow

Comment

• Timbo
      • Jan 2006

OK, so how do I go about building a passive X-O for the Seas products on a di-pole panel ???

Comment

• Paul H
        • Feb 2004

Timbo,

Are you interested in speaker design? Or do you want to build a set of speakers using existing designs?

If you want to custom design some speakers, you'll first need to do some serious reading and studying. You will need measuring and test equipment, including software to model your speakers.

If you're looking for an existing design using an open baffle configuration check out the "Arvos" design here on this forum. I do not know of any publicly posted designs using Seas magnesium drivers besides Linkwitz's Orion design, which you're obviously aware of, from your reference to the Phoenix speaker.

I built a 4-way active using Seas W18 and Seas L26 as mid and woofers in this thread:
        Preliminary plans are in (my head) and I thought I'd share some thoughts and get some feedback before going too much farther. My general plan is to build a 3 way "full range" dipole (a sub will fill in the bottom octave or so), using quality but not ultra expensive parts. I'm not on a tight budget, but I don't need

I modeled a passive crossover for a three-way using 2 L26, a W18 and Scanspeak 9700 tweeters during this process, but never posted the crossover as I never built it (Yet).

Give us some more background info on your goals, including maybe budget, and someone here can certainly help.

Paul
        Last edited by theSven; 17 August 2023, 16:33 Thursday. Reason: Update htguide url

Comment

• Davey
          • Jan 2003

Timbo,

Have you read the info on the Linkwitz website, and especially this page?

Open baffle loudspeaker prototypes with passive equalization and passive crossovers

The "concept" you have in mind is not a bad one, but considering the plentifullness of inexpensive amplifier channels in todays market I don't think it makes much sense. You might as well do the whole thing "active."

I totally agree with the "food for thought" points in Joe's message. The amplifier ratings you mentioned would be complete and utter overkill for an effort like this.

The basic design of my el-cheapo dipole system (albeit with different drivers) is pretty much what you're after, but this is not a design appropriate for a first-time speaker builder.

Cheers,

Davey.
          Last edited by theSven; 17 August 2023, 16:40 Thursday. Reason: Update url

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"