X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J Walker
    • May 2006

New member with big questions

Guys:

I have been quietly reading on here for a few days. I must say I found it very informative.

I am interested in building a large set of floorstanding main speakers for my home. Below are the links to the speakers I allready have. (Origionally bought for a car audio project)(I have since grown up)

I do not "have" to use these speakers, but I hate to throw them all away.

The only real reference I have with "nice"(I use that term loosely, after being here a few days) speakers are a set of Hope AR's finest RF-82's. Which are the most expensive speakers I can find, in town. (Jackson MS)

I realize this is a very openended(sp) request. But any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jimmy Walker
    TCS Ware Inc.
    3599 Old Brandon Rd.
    Pearl, MS 39208
  • FlashJim
    • Apr 2006

Where did you demo them? Players or Hoopers?

There was a place up on County Line Rd. that had high end equipment. I can't remember the name. Not even sure it's still there.

(I have since grown up)
    LOL ... I'm working up a system for my truck at this very moment and I'm 40. I got my start in car audio at the old Wood's Stereo location on McDowell Rd. That was back in '84.
    Jim

Comment

• J Walker
      • May 2006

FlashJim:

Hoopers out here by the airport has a set.

County line Rd. Ahhhh, Players A/V, they moved to Lakeland drive. They are high end, but don't stock floor standers. They prefer to stock the inwall and book shelf speakers.

I remember Mama Woods too. She and her crew help me a lot "back in the day". ('86 (I'm 36 myself))
      Before they closed, I did the custom fab for them.

Jimmy Walker
      TCS Ware Inc.
      3599 Old Brandon Rd.
      Pearl, MS 39208

Comment

• FlashJim
        • Apr 2006

Small world, eh? Those were fun days in car audio.

I was thinking that was Players, but couldn't remember for sure.

Almost forgot ... I grew up in Pearl, class of '84.
        Jim

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

We have several projects that use the XT25.

The dome mid is a bit problematic. First it's not that good a unit. Second building a 3-way doubles the cost of the crossover over a 2-way, and offers no real performance advantage over a good 2-way.

Currently there are no designs on the forum using any dome midrange. In the future there will be some using the new Dayton RS metal dome mid, but yours can't be substituted for those....

The choice of which system to build depends on the budget and your performance wants/needs. There are older TM, MTM, MTMWW systems, all of which use the XT25. In addition you could substitute the XT25 in some of the newer designs with minor changes in the crossover.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• J Walker
            • May 2006

ThomasW:

Ok. I will sell, or file 13 the dome mids. No big "E".

Now with that out of the way. Could you suggest a 2 way project that would equal or better the performance of my only know reference (RF-82's from Arkansaw) I hate to ask you to compair, but my reference field is quite limited. I will try to give you a few guidelines. Keeping the XT25's

1. 100w - 150w power handeling.
            2. All types of music leaning heavly toward Classic Rock and Country. NO RAP!
            3. Need to stand alone. Sub may be second project. (depends on GF)
            4. Extended low freq. would be nice. Large cabnets are fine.
            5. Budjet $500 - $700 in materials for the pair (not counting enclosure)
            6. I know this will be my first project. But I don't mind complicated wood work. Especially if it helps!

Any help is greatly appreciated.
            Thanks.

Jimmy Walker
            TCS Ware Inc.
            3599 Old Brandon Rd.
            Pearl, MS 39208
            Last edited by J Walker; 11 May 2006, 17:06 Thursday. Reason: Additions

Comment

• FlashJim
              • Apr 2006

Have you considered the RS TMWW towers (19+ page thread)? I'm just about to the point of ordering parts for the mains and CC myself.

RS TMWW Thread
              Last edited by theSven; 02 September 2023, 22:21 Saturday. Reason: Update url
              Jim

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

I'm going to just throw some designs ideas at you...

This is a MTM we designed a while ago...

This is another person building the same MTM as above, except he built the cabinet ported instead of sealed to optimize the bass output

Well, this time my brother has asked about speakers. He's having a house built that will have a large family room and kitchen (19 x 50) open space. He's heard my LAs and wants decent speakers. He hasn't had a stereo setup in about ten years and is itching to get his jazz collection out of storage. Considering the size of the

Below is one of out most advanced designs a dipole (open back) 3-way...It's the same MTM as the designs above, but with dual 12" woofers.

We can retro fit any of the Dayton RS sticky designs for your XT25. The reality is that the tweeters used in those design are better than the XT25 and cheaper. So if you can find a buyer for them, life would be easier. The TMWW that Jim linked to is an excellent speaker for all kinds of music. It has high output potential and low distortion given the number of drivers.
                Last edited by theSven; 02 September 2023, 22:20 Saturday. Reason: Update urls

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• J Walker
                  • May 2006

ThomasW:

Thanks. I will put the XT25's back in the closet. (Maybe they will age or something..)

This is going to be fun..

Jimmy Walker
                  TCS Ware Inc.
                  3599 Old Brandon Rd.
                  Pearl, MS 39208

Comment

• Hdale85
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

What is the cost of the parts for the MTM's in the first post? Just curious as I've seen those a couple times and they look kind of interesting

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"