X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JustinSC
    • Jul 2005

Chicago/Northwest Suburbs Builder Help

Are there any members around this area that would be willing to help a fellow DIY build some speakers? I'm looking to build the Dayton MTM in a floorstanding version, the matching Center and perhaps the MT surrounds. I live in an apartment so woodworking is not possible where I am at...however I do have a couple of routers/circle jig. Anyone willing to help and have time on the occasional weekends?

Thanks
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

*wave*

Gurnee
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• JustinSC
      • Jul 2005

*wave*

Good to know there are some members around the chicago area. Hopefully I can find someone willing to help build some cabinets.

Comment

• cjd
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Dec 2004

Um...

Yes, that's why I popped in. Sorry that was not clear (I mean, my post was quite concise on the matter... er...)

I have a weekend workshop and have previously helped folks 'round here like Ryan C.

C

Comment

• ---k---
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Nov 2005

Yep, Chris is a good guy. If you guys get together, let me know and maybe I can swing by and supervise.
          - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
          CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
          CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• JustinSC
            • Jul 2005

wasn't quite sure if you were offering or not. How would we get started? Also do you want anything for your services/using your workshop?

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

Wish i lived in an area with some one like Chris I have some one to help me but neither of us have a wood shop so we much be useing a circular saw and saw board.

Comment

• cuda65
                • Feb 2005

Nice to see some other people from the area. I am in Morton Grove. Don't think I could help you much though.
                Doug

Comment

• cjd
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Dec 2004

Um, find a weekend when we're all free, figure out how mats are getting here, etc... I need to know exactly what's being built too

C

Comment

• ThomasW
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

I'll ship out some raw materials and drivers along with my order. You can drop off the finished products on your way to the Grand Canyon..... :B

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Hdale85
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

:rofl:, The grand canyon is'nt anything special though. But i do miss AZ Lived there for bout 7 years, Flagstaff and Phoenix

Comment

• Dennis H
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Aug 2002

The grand canyon is'nt anything special though.
                        Pretty special if you've ever hiked to the bottom. One of my fonder memories -- hitchhiking through AZ, got picked up by a geology class on a field trip, bigtime macho 3-day hike along with explanations about how all those rock layers represent millions of years. Snowing at the top of the canyon and summertime 5000 feet below at the river. Way cool!

Comment

• Hdale85
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2006

Yea i have always wanted to hike it. And why would a school full of kids pick you up for a field trip? or would this possibly be like college? Probably as i dont think younger kids would be hikeing the grand canyon.

Comment

• Dennis H
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Aug 2002

Yeah, college kids from Salt Lake driving their own cars. I wasn't much older and we made friends. Different world in the 70s.

Comment

• ThomasW
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

I like renting one of the large older log cabins on the North Rim. Then having dinner at sundown in the very good restaurant in the main lodge. There's a table where one can eat and look over the edge of the cliff. Makes for a pretty unique dining experience.... :T

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Hdale85
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jan 2006

Where do you live thomas?

Comment

• JustinSC
                                  • Jul 2005

Originally posted by cjd
                                  Um, find a weekend when we're all free, figure out how mats are getting here, etc... I need to know exactly what's being built too

C
                                  Sounds like a plan! What are mats? I'll start working on enclosure plans.

Thanks!

Comment

• cjd
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Dec 2004

oops... mats = materials.

or, those things you put at the door for people to wipe their feet on...

Enclosure plans is a great place to start!

C

Comment

• JustinSC
                                      • Jul 2005

So far here is the plan for HT setup:

2 x Modula MTM floorstanders @ optimal specs (50L @ 32Hz)
                                      1 x Modula Center
                                      2 x Modula MT

I have the electrical components for the Modula MTM and Modula Center, but not the Modula MT. I won't be using a sub but might add one in the future.

What's a good height for a floorstander? I've seen them range from 39" - 48".
                                      I really like the look of Jim H's Natalie P floorstanders.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2000

Where do you live thomas?
                                        5280', aka the mile high city, Denver, CO....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• cjd
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • Dec 2004

That's not a weekend project! Well, a really really long weekend, but I don't do those - too easy to make mistakes once the muscles get tired and stuff...

I neglected to ask - what're you thinking of doing the boxes out of? I try to stay away from any MDF at all if I can.

Actually, if you're looking to flush-trim (recommended) you should be able to get away with a sawboard and a circular saw, along with, of course, the router.

C

Comment

• JustinSC
                                            • Jul 2005

Definately not a 1 weekend project. I have always used MDF but since that doesn't work for you what are the other alternatives? I have not had too much luck with a sawboard and circular saw (everything different sizes, not square, etc.).

I know this is a lot to ask and I understand if this won't work for you.

Comment

• JustinSC
                                              • Jul 2005

Hmm maybe I'll just wait to start these projects. Thanks for the offer though!

Comment

• cjd
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • Dec 2004

I can do MDF, just prefer not to. I have some better equipment for getting it out of the air now but not a fine particle filter yet which is really the key.

The other option is 13 ply birch. If you don't insist on the perfectly void-free stuff, it can be had at only marginally higher prices than MDF - last I checked it was under $30 for a 4x8 sheet.

I'm pretty good with the sawboard - have to be , 'cause I don't have a cabinet saw and whatnot for doing full sheet cuts. I do usually do smaller work on the table. I only mentioned it because it *is* an option for you if you want to do this yourself.

At any rate, still happy to help out so just holler.

C

Comment

• ---k---
                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                  • Nov 2005

Start with just the center. See how you like DIY, and then go from there.
                                                  - Ryan

Comment

• cjd
                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                    • Dec 2004

See, I would start with the Modula MT's - the center uses a rather costly tweeter...

C

Comment

• JustinSC
                                                      • Jul 2005

I've done some DIY work but just moved here so no place to do my work anymore. I think I'll wait till I settle in a bit. Perhaps I'll buy PE cabinets for the surrounds and center and build the towers later. I just like the woodworking part as well as the electronics part.

I appreciate all the help!

Comment

• ---k---
                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by cjd
                                                        See, I would start with the Modula MT's - the center uses a rather costly tweeter...

C
                                                        Ahhh, see that is why you are an expert and I'm... well not even a novice.

I was assuming one would be easier/cheeper, and we all know what happens when one assumes.
                                                        - Ryan

Comment

Working...
                                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                        Search Result for "|||"