X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ba123
    • Mar 2006

any ideas for a DIY pillar 2-way?

Following in the amazement of finishing my Natalie P's a month or so ago, I want to try another project - although the placement of these in my office is harder.

I want to build a pair of Modula MT's - since I am so happy with the Nat's - but the size is too big in perimeter and the threads suggest not changing the box dimensions. So are there any designs for a similar speaker with dimensions more like the Totem Arro? I don't want an Arro clone - I don't like the Arro's sound but would like something similar in dimesions - 6"-8" LxW X 48" H.

Is there any way to put a dayton RS125s or RS150s and a dayton tweeter in a box with dimensions like above?

Also I am not opposed to trying a fullrange or simple line array or something either if that would suit the dimensions better.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
  • opt-e
    • Nov 2004

You could do a 7.5" wide baffle using the RS150's and RS28A or 27TDFC. I am interested in doing something similar, except standmount style--tall and slim. Take a look at the Rs150 MT thread.

Comment

• cjd
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Dec 2004

The TM crossover I threw out in that thread should work quite well IMHO. And I simply don't remember how well the other options will work, but I'm sure that there are multiple options.

C
      diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• opt-e
        • Nov 2004

Chris, do you have a RS28A version of your MT crossover? The other designs on there seem to be optimized for on-wall placement and I'm looking for something designed for standmounting, with the baffle about 2 feet from the wall.

Comment

• dawg1161
          • May 2006

i'm no expert but you could put a divider or what i have read called a throat in any size box. so and i don't know the demensions of the speaker you like say are 24" tall build the tower 48" tall or whatever size you decide on and simply put a divider at 24" in the tower the bottom half will be dead space or what ever you want to do with it...just a thought

Comment

• HeatMiser
            • Apr 2006

If you end up wanting to consider a full-range (and your intended placement isn't up against a wall) there's a very nice bipole box I've heard for a pair of CSS FR125s, or (cheaper but just as good) a FR in front and a WR in back. 6" baffle, about 9" deep. Look up planet10-hifi and click on "box plan library". The drivers are a bit more spendy than the Daytons, but you save on the crossover since there isn't one. And of course full-rangers have a different set of strengths than multiway speakers, but since you mentioned it as a possibility I thought I'd throw that one out there.
            Paul G

Comment

• Rene D
              • Mar 2006

You could always try something like these.

Comment

• ba123
                • Mar 2006

If I was to build a pair of RS150 MT's into a tower with a false bottom would the increased baffle height effect the sound, or would the same crossovers be OK?

Also, I am totally open to building a full range speaker as well, however I know very little about them. Is there an advantage between a full range design like mentioned above and say a 2-way MT besides cost?

Thanks again.

Comment

• dlneubec
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006

You might want to consider the "Microbe" or "Microbe SE". They are based on the RS125 and are about 6.5" wide by 8.5" deep. You could make them with stands or in a tower, if you could maintain the baffle width and internal volume.

I made some Microbe SE's for my surrounds and they voice very well with my RS180 MTM mains. I'm quite happy with their sound. I can highly recommend them.

Microbe

Microbe SE
                  Dan N.

Comment

• cjd
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Dec 2004

ba, as long as your baffle isn't much different than spec you'll be fine.

FWIW, my ported MTM is only 13.5" deep, 7.5" wide, so 7x7 for a TM will get you similar response on the bass end (but severely power limited). You could get away with doing a sealed MTM in your box dimentions and find a spot for a sub...

C
                    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"