X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dawg1161
    • May 2006

maybe a good garage sale ???

hello to all again. this weekend i went garage saling with the wife (i know)
    at one our manny stope i came across the following items : dayton dc 160 s-8(4) and dayton dc28f-8 (2). the only program that i own is bass box pro 6.0. i did a model for that woofer. do ineed aprogram that includes the tweeter?
    i am wanting to build them as a 2way but in a tall tower 43" with a throat so i have the proper cft3 sealed for me crossed at 2500hz...does this sound like it will work or did i waste my 40$ where i could have gotten something else?
    my mind keepe telling me to build a narrow tall tower as i have plenty of subs crossed at anywhere from 100hz to 150hz and my carver sub is adjustable.
    any ideas for a tower (43') thats 4 inches wide ?. well i have taken up enough of your time . thank you awaiting your replys.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Here ya go...

I build them ported since the midwoofers only have 3.15mm of Xmax

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• dawg1161
      • May 2006

Thank You, i have just finished printing that link out. i will have to order 2 mork woofers as well as some other parts. One final question for you, i don't like speaker stands can i build them as a tower and put a throat in them?

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

One final question for you, i don't like speaker stands can i build them as a toer and put a throat in them?
        Sorry but I don't know what a 'toer' or a 'throat' are..

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Dennis H
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Aug 2002

I assume that means tower and yes you can do that. Build the tower tall enough so the tweeter is at ear level. Keep the same front baffle width so the crossover will work properly and keep the same net interior volume as the plans. You can block off the bottom part of the tower (is that what you meant by throat?) to get the volume right. If you put an access panel on the back of the bottom part, that's a handy place to mount the crossovers.

Comment

• dyazdani
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Oct 2005

Dennis describes exactly what I took "toer" and "throat" to mean...
            Danish

Comment

• dawg1161
              • May 2006

Thank you, i should have checked my post before replying...you are correct in what i am saying. great idea for the crossover. thank you all i have just finished ordering the remaining parts from p.e. thank you for helping me out, i will reply if i have more questions.

Comment

• dawg1161
                • May 2006

i edited my post, sorry for the confusion....all the terms i know are from what i have read or heard. i am sorry for the wrong vocabulary

Comment

• dawg1161
                  • May 2006

hello to all again, i am building the dayton III in the p.e. link above. my question is concerning the size of the port? i went to purchase some of the 3" white pvc and it just looked huge? any thoughts on this? if correct would i be better off just buying a 3" flared port from p.e.?....i final question has anyone owned or know someone who has the dayton 15" titantic powered subwoofer kit from p.e.... would this be par for the cost they have free shipping on this sub for now. again thank you for all replies.

Comment

• Outfitter
                    • Apr 2006

This should be helpful. http://www.speakerbuilder.net/web_fi...D3W/index.html

Comment

• ThomasW
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

The woofers being used are have a very modest Xmax, so you don't really need the benefit of the more expensive flared ports. Do use the 3" PVC.

The sub kit is okay a bit pricey.

For about the same money you can get higher output using the SoundSplinter RL-p15 with a Behringer EP1500 amp and still use the same premade PE 3cu ft sub box. But since you're making boxes for the main speakers, you could save even more by making your own box for the sub. Shipping those premade MDF sub boxes is a bit $pendy given their weight.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• dawg1161
                        • May 2006

Thank You for the replies, i am at ease now.....i will continue to build....i sure love the write up that p.e. does on the 15" titantic sub kit....i will research the soundsplinter rl-p15's in this forum. thanks again.

Comment

• Hdale85
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2006

The RL-P15 seems to be everyones favorite

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"