X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • plincoln
    • May 2006

Long Time lurker...first post...Dayton RS WMTW and Mains Question

Hey guys, been reading the forum for some time now, and I'm toying with the idea of building the Dayton RS WMTW Center along with a new set of LR's.

I've read through the Dayton RS WMTW thread and tried to absorb as much as possible, but I have a couple questions...

1. Of course its a matter of preference, but those that have built the center, did you do Dennis' or Curt's XO?

2. The Dayton RS WMTW thread discusses some LR towers, but there seem to be a few different variatins floating around. I also see the Natilie P uses the same driver. I would like the Mains and center to match as close as possible. This will be primarily HT and I have an IB sub if that will affect the LR decision. Based on that, what would you guys recommend for the mains, and is there a shopping list available for those.

Thanks for being patient....

patrick
    Stuff for Sale/Trade
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

The mains in that thread are made to match that center. You would use denis's crossover for both. The mains there are TMWW's, They were designed to go together though.

Comment

• plincoln
      • May 2006

Just to be clear about it...

That's the dennis tower design I should be using?
      Last edited by theSven; 11 July 2023, 21:55 Tuesday. Reason: Update htguide url
      Stuff for Sale/Trade

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Yep if you like i have a zip with all the info on it that i can send you if you pm me your email address. BOM Cut list and everything in it.

Comment

• ssabripo
          • Dec 2005

Kgveteran and I both used Curt C's XO design.....don't know anyone who has done Dennis' XO on the center.

the mains are design to match it, and are TMWWs, so whichever XO you go with, you would use the same for the mains and center.
          My simple HT setup
          4π using LMS, anyone?

Comment

• plincoln
            • May 2006

Maybe I'm looking at this wrong, but the center uses the dayton tweeter and the tower uses the Seas?
            Stuff for Sale/Trade

Comment

• plincoln
              • May 2006

Originally posted by ssabripo
              Kgveteran and I both used Curt C's XO design.....don't know anyone who has done Dennis' XO on the center.

the mains are design to match it, and are TMWWs, so whichever XO you go with, you would use the same for the mains and center.
              is there a design for Curts towers? My apologies if it seems that I need to be spoonfed, but i want to make sure that I have all my ducks in a row before I pull the trigger.
              Stuff for Sale/Trade

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

There is an RS28A version of the towers in the zip that im talking about.

Curts towers are the MTMWW's i beleive they are also dayton 3ways but they are very big. 50" tall 14" wide and like 18" deep i believe. I was thinking about building those but I think they are just a tad to big for my room.

Comment

• plincoln
                  • May 2006

Originally posted by Dougie085

Curts towers are the MTMWW's i beleive they are also dayton 3ways but they are very big. 50" tall 14" wide and like 18" deep i believe. I was thinking about building those but I think they are just a tad to big for my room.
                  great, thanks for the response. I really have no need for such large mains either . So I think I will go with Dennis' design.
                  Stuff for Sale/Trade

Comment

• Hdale85
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

plincoln you've got mail

Comment

• dawaro
                      • Feb 2005

Actually that is Chris' (cjd) towers. Curt has done a design for the WWMT to match his design for the WMTW. He is planning on posting the information today. Curt's design uses the RS28.

Dennis has a design for the WMTW that uses the RS28 only at this time. He does however plan to do a design using the Seas tweeter also, when time permits. As for the WWMT Dennis has designs for both the RS28 and Seas tweeter.
                      I am not Dawaro the muslim state in Ethiopia...Just DAvid WAyne ROberts

Comment

• plincoln
                        • May 2006

Originally posted by dawaro
                        Actually that is Chris' (cjd) towers. Curt has done a design for the WWMT to match his design for the WMTW. He is planning on posting the information today. Curt's design uses the RS28.

Dennis has a design for the WMTW that uses the RS28 only at this time. He does however plan to do a design using the Seas tweeter also, when time permits. As for the WWMT Dennis has designs for both the RS28 and Seas tweeter.
                        so much information

any plans for rears in the near future to match the fronts?
                        Stuff for Sale/Trade

Comment

• Hdale85
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2006

Actually he designed it already i believe as its in the zip file i got from curt maybe? i cant remember who i got it from now. But its got a Seas H1212 and RS28A version in it, unless dennis didnt design it?

Comment

• ThomasW
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

Yep if you like i have a zip with all the info on it that i can send you if you pm me your email address. BOM Cut list and everything in it
                            How about sending it to me? I'll upload it to a host and place a link on the main thread.

ttriff at gmail dot com

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Hdale85
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2006

I was thinking about doing a tower version of the modula MT's to match these(for rears). Would they match up very well?

But I just saw that they use different tweeters. Would it need to be completely different to drop in the RS28A or H1212? I'm guessing thats a yes as the one it uses are soft dome and these are metal dome.

Comment

• dawaro
                                • Feb 2005

Actually he designed it already i believe as its in the zip file i got from curt maybe? i cant remember who i got it from now. But its got a Seas H1212 and RS28A version in it, unless dennis didnt design it?

I was thinking about doing a tower version of the modula MT's to match these(for rears). Would they match up very well?
                                That is the design from Dennis. As far as I know he is the only one that has a design for the H1212. The H1212 design was done at the request of Jim Holtz.

Just to clarify things:

CJD (Chris) - WWMTM using the RS270, RS180, and RS28.

Dennis Murphy, CJD, Jon Marsh, Curt Cambell - WMTW using the RS225, RS150, RS28.

Dennis Murphy and Curt Cambell - TMWW design using the RS225, RS150, RS28.

Dennis Murphy - TMWW using the RS225, RS150, Seas H1212

The Modula MT should work well for surrounds since the voicing of the RS drivers are pretty close across the board.

Comment

• dawaro
                                  • Feb 2005

But I just saw that they use different tweeters. Would it need to be completely different to drop in the RS28A or H1212? I'm guessing thats a yes as the one it uses are soft dome and these are metal dome.
                                  Look further in the thread. There is a RS28 version as well. That is the one that I built.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Jan 2006

Ah my bad Well then i think thats what I'll do for the rears and if i do 7.1 then i may use just the standard modula mt's and then a set of modula mt towers. Then again mayne i'll just use all towers as then i wouldnt need to mount them on the walls or on stands or anything.

Comment

• plincoln
                                      • May 2006

Ah my bad Well then i think thats what I'll do for the rears and if i do 7.1 then i may use just the standard modula mt's and then a set of modula mt towers. Then again mayne i'll just use all towers as then i wouldnt need to mount them on the walls or on stands or anything.
                                      the cutlist pdf files you sent me...I dont see the side panels on either pdf
                                      Stuff for Sale/Trade

Comment

• Hdale85
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Jan 2006

Look at the bottom where it says bill of materials. (look at the one in the seas version thats where im looking) It has under there Front/Rear Baffles, Side Panels, Top/Bottom Pannels, Bracing.

Comment

• plincoln
                                          • May 2006

Look at the bottom where it says bill of materials. (look at the one in the seas version thats where im looking) It has under there Front/Rear Baffles, Side Panels, Top/Bottom Pannels, Bracing.
                                          ok i was looking at the cutlist pdf files for the RS28. its not in either one of those pdf files. Clearly it should be 20x42...whipping up a 3d model of th enclosure right now
                                          Stuff for Sale/Trade

Comment

• Hdale85
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Jan 2006

Image not available

See here? Anyways time for work
                                            Last edited by theSven; 11 July 2023, 21:53 Tuesday. Reason: Remove broken image link

Comment

• plincoln
                                              • May 2006

Originally posted by Hdale85
                                              Image not available

See here? Anyways time for work

OK..so now I am a bit confused... The panel dims that are in the RS225-RS150-RS28 3-way folder do not match the Murphy Blaster RS (Seas H1212 version) 3-Way folder...

Which cut least should be used?

The RS225-RS150-RS28 3-way has a cabinet depth of 21.5" outside. The Murphy Blaster RS (Seas H1212 version) 3-Way is only 13.5" deep
                                              Last edited by theSven; 11 July 2023, 21:54 Tuesday. Reason: Update quote
                                              Stuff for Sale/Trade

Comment

• dawaro
                                                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by plincoln
                                                ok..so now I am a bit confused...the panel dims that are in the RS225-RS150-RS28 3-way folder do not match the Murphy Blaster RS (Seas H1212 version) 3-Way folder...

which cut least should be used?

the RS225-RS150-RS28 3-way has a cabinet depth of 21.5" outside
                                                the Murphy Blaster RS (Seas H1212 version) 3-Way is only 11.25" deep
                                                As there are multiple xovers there are also multiple cabinets

Jim built a smaller sealed version (Murphy Blaster RS). The other is ported.
                                                According to Dennis the sealed version is the better sounding design.

Look here:
                                                Sealed & Ported Layouts
                                                Last edited by theSven; 11 July 2023, 21:55 Tuesday. Reason: Update htguide url

Comment

• kgveteran
                                                  • Oct 2005

so much information

any plans for rears in the near future to match the fronts?
                                                  I plan on building these. Probably three. I only use one rear center. I like the bigger woofer(180) over the (150). Can't wait!

Last edited by theSven; 11 July 2023, 21:56 Tuesday. Reason: Update htguide url
                                                  Here is my LCR "Trio". Way to go guys !

Comment

• plincoln
                                                    • May 2006

As there are multiple xovers there are also multiple cabinets

Jim built a smaller sealed version (Murphy Blaster RS). The other is ported.
                                                    According to Dennis the sealed version is the better sounding design.

Look here:
                                                    Sealed & Ported Layouts

OK... Gotcha. Are there two version of the Murphy blaster? One with The RS28 and the other with the Seas? The cabinet would be the same I presume. Since I am going to go with the RS28 in the center ... it should naturally be in the Towers.
                                                    Last edited by theSven; 11 July 2023, 21:57 Tuesday. Reason: Update quote
                                                    Stuff for Sale/Trade

Comment

• plincoln
                                                      • May 2006

ok..here is the ported version of the TMWW:
                                                      OVHcloud accompagne votre évolution grâce au meilleur des infrastructures web : hébergement, nom de domaine, serveur dédié, CDN, Cloud, Big Data, ...

here is the sealed enclosure:
                                                      OVHcloud accompagne votre évolution grâce au meilleur des infrastructures web : hébergement, nom de domaine, serveur dédié, CDN, Cloud, Big Data, ...

here is the sealed center channel:

I'd ask that someone double check these. Some of the dims were tough to make out. Also if someone wants to provide me with the correct counterbore depth, I will update the drawings.

I can provide model files to anyone that wants them. The counterbore for the drivers needs to be double checked since I dont have one in front of me to measure.

Anything else?
                                                      Stuff for Sale/Trade

Comment

• dawaro
                                                        • Feb 2005

ok ..gotcha. Are there two version of the Murphy blaster? One with The RS28 and the other with the Seas? The cabinet would be the same I presume. Since I am going to go with the RS28 in the center ... it should naturally be in the Towers.
                                                        You got it!

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by ThomasW
                                                          How about sending it to me? I'll upload it to a host and place a link on the main thread.

ttriff at gmail dot com
                                                          Hi Thomas,

I'm the one that created the zip file with all of the desgns that Dennis created plus cutlists, construction pictures etc. I can send it to you this evening if you like.

Jim

Comment

• dawaro
                                                            • Feb 2005

ok..here is the ported version of the TMWW:

here is the sealed enclosure:

I can provide model files to anyone that wants them. The counterbore for the drivers needs to be double checked since I dont have one in front of me to measure.
                                                            Any chance of getting you to do one of these for the sealed version and the center?

Comment

• plincoln
                                                              • May 2006

Any chance of getting you to do one of these for the sealed version and the center?
                                                              can do! I will update that post with the correct link in a bit
                                                              Stuff for Sale/Trade

Comment

• plincoln
                                                                • May 2006

Originally posted by kgveteran

I plan on building these. Probably three. I only use one rear center. I like the bigger woofer(180) over the (150). Can't wait!

https://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13154
                                                                ​

I know in your center thread, you had to relieve the back of the midrange on the inside panel of the baffle...what size was that? and I will update the drawings for the cabinets.
                                                                Last edited by theSven; 11 July 2023, 21:58 Tuesday. Reason: Update quote
                                                                Stuff for Sale/Trade

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                  • Jan 2006

I emailed thomas the zip already. And i do remember you sending it to me now

Comment

• dawaro
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Feb 2005

I know in your center thread, you had to relieve the back of the midrange on the inside panel of the baffle...what size was that? and i will update the drawings for the cabinets.
                                                                    This is done with a 1/2" - 3/4" roundover or chamfer bit to open the backside of the panel so the speaker is not masked (it can breathe).

Comment

• plincoln
                                                                      • May 2006

This is done with a 1/2" - 3/4" roundover or chamfer bit to open the backside of the panel so the speaker is not masked (it can breathe).
                                                                      well all i need now is the dennis murphy center shopping list for the xo and Im ready to roll.
                                                                      Stuff for Sale/Trade

Comment

• FlashJim
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Apr 2006

Do we have a link for the zip file yet? If space is needed, I have a webserver.
                                                                        Jim

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                          • Aug 2000
                                                                          • 10933

Didn't know anyone was waiting for them I sent them to you in an email.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• FlashJim
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Apr 2006
                                                                            • 145

Just got back from lunch. Got 'em! Thanks Thomas.
                                                                            Jim

Comment

• dawaro
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Feb 2005
                                                                              • 263

#39
                                                                              well all i need now is the dennis murphy center shopping list for the xo and Im ready to roll.
                                                                              I am in the process of doing one for both DM & CC's designs right now.

I have loaded the design in LspCAD and I am changing some of the odd values to reflect available values. Before I post anything I want to make sure there are no ill effects from the changes.

Comment

Working...
                                                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                              Search Result for "|||"