X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jim Holtz
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Cap Tests at Tony Gee's..

These are very subjective evaluations so I expect a lot of the total "objectivists" to come in with guns blazing but that isn't the reason I've brought this up. The reason I've posted is because of the Clarity caps. They tested very well. E-Speakers has them priced at very, very reasonable prices.

Any feedback on Clarity caps?

Jim
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Might be fun to play with some Vishay Roederstein MKP1837. Unfortunately Mouser has a min order of 1000pc @$.50ea. for the value Tony used. So just bit $pendy even for a group buy. I'll chat later today with Jon. I bet some of the other Vishay Roederstein values Mouser has in stock would work just fine...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Brief chat with Jon about using the Vishay Roederstein caps. The short of the conversation was that tiny caps like that used as bypass, would only be working in range much higher than humans can hear.

Since the Arvo XO's are naked in the family room and have the SS9800 tweeter with Theda AudioCaps, I'll add a few Vishay Roederstein's to my next Mouser order, and see if I hear what Tony claims.

The Clarity caps aren't that outrageously priced. Next time I need some caps for a passive project I'll grab some and compare them against the Theda's.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Jim Holtz
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by ThomasW
        Brief chat with Jon about using the Vishay Roederstein caps. The short of the conversation was that tiny caps like that used as bypass, would only be working in range much higher than humans can hear.

Since the Arvo XO's are naked in the family room and have the SS9800 tweeter with Theda AudioCaps, I'll add a few Vishay Roederstein's to my next Mouser order, and see if I hear what Tony claims.

The Clarity caps aren't that outrageously priced. Next time I need some caps for a passive project I'll grab some and compare them against the Theda's.
        Thomas,

Thanks for responding. I've used small value film bypass caps around elecrolytics in electronics but never in speaker crossovers. Playing with caps in electronics makes a significant improvement but I've had a tougher time hearing the differences in crossovers. I am interested in the Clarity caps though. My projects are done until early winter. I may try some in the next project.

BTW, I believe your friends with a gentlenman named Pat back here in Iowa. We've visited every year he's attended the DIY events. Pat is a nice guy. I've enjoyed visiting with him.

If you play with the Clarity Caps, I'd like to hear about it.

Best regards,

Jim

Comment

• Steve Goff
          • Feb 2002

A friend who manufactures high-end two-channel audio gear used the Roederstein caps for many years, but in power supply regulators and as bypass only. We tried them as coupling caps, but they were not very good compared to others. Unfortunately, I can't tell you what the good caps are, other than that they are extremely expensive and very unusual (for audio applications, at least), and only come in small sizes.
          Last edited by Steve Goff; 06 May 2006, 20:11 Saturday.
          Steve Goff

Comment

• cotdt
            • Oct 2005

Where is the link? To Tony Geege's site?

Comment

• Rudy Jakubin
              • May 2005

Tony Gee;
              Humble Homemade Hifi - Very high quality loudspeaker kits, components, upgrades, modifications and custom solutions.

Clarity Cap;

Comment

• cotdt
                • Oct 2005

Why do the Mundorf Silver/Oil sound better than the Mundorf Supreme when the Mundorf Supreme measures better on the oscilliscope and should have lower distortion? I don't think his tests are 100% objective, although they do seem to be useful as a general guide.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"