X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FlashJim
    • Apr 2006

Buttkicker BKA1000-4A

While researching amps, I stumbled across this fanless model. Any thoughts on it? Does anyone know of anyone using it?

Buttkicker BKA1000-4A
    Jim
  • Jack Gilvey
    • Aug 2001

I'm using two of them, one of which is powering my dual-15 IB and the other a pair of LFE transducers. I don't have any measurements on it, but it's quiet (electrically and acoustically), dynamic, and stable into 2 ohms. It "sounds" pretty much the same as the big BASH unit I was using previously. Since I wanted two shaker units, I bought two LFE kits as part of a special deal offered for a while, so the amp cost me ~$100.
    This review has the only measurements I've seen, and even those are sparse:

home theater, high fidelity, high end, amplifiers, receivers, projectors, movies, vcrs, cds, laserdiscs, stereo, surround sound, dolby digital, dts, subwoofer, speakers, reviews, video, audio, dvd, digital audio, tubes, consumer electronics, home entertainment, preamplifiers, processors, cables, TVs, AC line conditioners, velodyne, monitor audio, sunfire, paradigm, meridian, nordost, exact power, redgum, osborn, m&k, mirage, perpetual technologies, anthem, sonic frontiers, htdv, dss

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Jack's our official beta tester for the BK amps.... :T

If you need a fanless (passively cooled) amp they're probably the best choice.

For less money the Behringer EP-2500 are the choice if you can live with the fan. After investing in a low cost, low noise PC replacement fan, the Behinger's noise is decreased but not eliminated.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• FlashJim
        • Apr 2006

Thanks for the info!
        Jim

Comment

• Inu_Yasha
          • May 2006

Sorry to bring this thread out of the grave, but I'm looking to get a buttkicker and was looking at the kit that included the amp. I'm wondering though, is it ok to power both a sub (RL-p15) and a buttkicker with the buttkicker amp, or would it be wiser to get the ep2500 and hook the sub to one output and the buttkicker to another?

Comment

• Jack Gilvey
            • Aug 2001

The problem I see with using the BK amp for both Buttkickers and a sub is that you are using the same level adjustments, eq, infrasonic filter, etc, for both. Also different impedances, etc.
            While you could certainly use each channel of the ep2500 separately, a BK amp will provide more power into the 4 Ohm load of an LFE unit (1000w vs. 650w).
            In addition, the entire LFE kit (transducer, amplifier, mounting kit) is ~$350 total. That's only about $20-$30 more than the ep2500 alone. If you bought an LFE unit by itself, it's ~$200...so the BK amp is really only about $100. I would use the LFE kit, and treat the sub amp separately.

Comment

• Inu_Yasha
              • May 2006

I was actually thinking of either getting the two ohm version of the bk. I didn't know if I could wire the sub and bk to make it into a 4 ohm load and then hooking it up to the amp. Or as another possiblity, I could get a 4 ohm bk and a 4 ohm RL-p15 and make it into a 2 ohm load.

I do see what you're saying about equilization and that makes a lot of sense. If I did go with the ep2500, can I use the Behringer Feedback Destroyer on the sub and bk separately?

Comment

• Amphiprion
                • Apr 2006

What's the CFM and size of the fans typically used in pro audio amps? (EP-2500, RMX-850, etc).

Comment

• kesa32
                  • Jun 2006

the fan from memory is 80mm x 25 mm /24volt.........good amps btw

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"