X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mazeroth
    • Nov 2004

Help me select some inexpensive drivers for a dipole

I have the drivers already for my "final" dipole, which consist of the following:

(4) Dayton RS315HF
    (4) Dayton RS180
    (2) Dayton RS28

My woodworking skills are pretty pathetic so before I go all out and try to build a nice cabinet for my dipoles I was wanting to build a cheap set of dipoles to practice woodworking on and give them to my brother when I complete them. Crossover duties will be handled by the KX project and his SB Audigy soundcard, which he already has in his HTPC. Right now all I have laying around that I would consider using are a pair of Adire Shiva subs and some 4 7/8" Vifa JBL buyouts that PE had about a year ago. I know two of the JBLs still wouldn't be sufficient in a dipole so I was looking for a recommendation on a cheap mid that could be used in an MT or MTM and I would be needing a tweeter as well. I was thinking one of the Seas 27 series but am not sure I want to put that much cash into them. Any other hidden "gems" that run $15-$20 for a tweeter?

This will not be used for high volume listening so I'm thinking the single Shiva will be more than sufficient. I will probably put a filter on the sub to cut out anything under 30hz from it to help guarantee it doesn't get destroyed, just in case he decides to get cute.

Thanks!
  • Dennis H
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2002

I'd do like Jon and Thomas and you can get a "two-fer". Build a "test mule" with raw MDF and your final drivers. You can work out the crossover design and baffle shape on the mule and you'll also get plenty of woodworking practice. Once you've got the crossover and baffle worked out, you can do the real thing with a nice finish.

Comment

• BobEllis
      Super Senior Member
      • Dec 2005

What Dennis said. Why waste time and money on a system that you're just going to scrap as soon as you build it?

I was going to recommend the drivers you've chosen or RS225s and 27TDFC, thinking you were looking for inexpensive relative to the Orion driver set.

Comment

• Mazeroth
        • Nov 2004

Well, the thing is my brother is looking for a set of speakers and I thought this would be a great way to get some practice and hook him up at the same time. He's a great guy and I was just going to give them to him so I didn't want to drop a few hundred bucks on drivers.

Thanks for the input so far :T

Comment

• Paul W
          • Oct 2004

Since he is actively looking, maybe straight-up ask your brother if he'd like to chip in for a driver upgrade. If he is going to live with them for a while, he would probably appreciate it in the long run. The RS drivers are too good a deal to pass up.

Another possiblity is to build 'em so you/he can upgrade drivers later.
          Paul

Comment

• Mazeroth
            • Nov 2004

I just remembered. I have some Vifa TC18 series woofers lying around that I could use as well. What do you guys think? I'm thinking of a TMM up top crossed to a Seas 27 series and the single Shiva at the bottom. I'd go MTM but with 7" drivers I don't think that would fair too well.

Thanks.

Comment

• Paul W
              • Oct 2004

TMMW should work well. Consider doing the lower M as a .5 and leave room for a 15" woofer later...maybe just insert a mounting ring for the Shiva (Shiva is a 12"?)
              Paul

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"