Any reason to roundover internal bracing?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonW
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Any reason to roundover internal bracing?

In general, I'm thinking about a speaker. Let's say ported, but it doesn't have to be. As the drivers move in and out, air is moving around the inside of the speaker. And there are braces holding the cabinet together. I would think that rounded over bracing would make the air flow a little better. But when people show pics of their speaker internals, almost no one rounds over the bracing. So should I bother? I can think that it would make a difference theoretically. But I have no idea if it makes a difference in the real world. I've been reading too many books and making too few speakers.
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Well one reason is that every bit of wood you shave away from internal braceing adds to the internal volume of the enclosure which is a good thing.

Comment

• JonW
      Super Senior Member
      • Jan 2006

I'm not too concerend about volume. I'm building my own cabinets. So whatever volume I add for the braces, I can just add to the rear of the speaker, to compensate.

Comment

• BobEllis
        Super Senior Member
        • Dec 2005

Jon, I agree with your thinking on all counts. It probably doesn't make a noticeable difference and just get out there and build speakers! While you're at it, build two sets of otherwise identical speakers one set with rounded brace cutouts and without. Swap them several times and see if you can tell which is which. Then report back

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Better yet use some measurement equipment and see id there really is a difference

Comment

• cjd
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Dec 2004

Because when you round-over the braces, you know you've left no detail un-attended.

It's nothing but a pride in work thing. It also takes away some of the scraped knuckles and whatnot when you're trying to wedge crossovers in, stuffing, padding, etc.

C
            diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• dyazdani
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Oct 2005

I just did it because it looked cleaner. Not that you can see it once it's built, more for peace of mind that I did a professional job.
              Danish

Comment

• Al Garay
                • Jan 2004

I like to round-over the braces as well. Compared my 1801 with a friend's who didn't, we could not hear a difference. If it's there, we couldn't tell.

Comment

• JonW
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006

OK, this sounds like a thing to do for the obsessive compulsives among us. Which means I might do it.

Comment

• Hdale85
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

Well look at it this way. It certainly doesnt hurt performance

Comment

• MarkR
                      • Jan 2005

Hi Jon, time to put down those books and pick up some tools.

I consider myself living proof you don't need to know everything to build a decent pair of speakers. :B

Comment

• chasw98
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Jan 2006

If anything, you will get some hours on the router that isn't visible on the outside in case you make a mistake

Comment

• JonW
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by chasw98
                          If anything, you will get some hours on the router that isn't visible on the outside in case you make a mistake
                          Yup, I could use the practice. I'm finishing up my first real piece of woodwokring- some shelves for my stereo gear. That is giving me practice with the table saw and router. After that, I'll tackle the speaker project.

Originally posted by MarkR
                          Hi Jon, time to put down those books and pick up some tools.
                          Indeed!

Originally posted by MarkR
                          I consider myself living proof you don't need to know everything to build a decent pair of speakers. :B
                          OK, that's good proof for me to have. Part of the appeal of building some speakers is all that I'm learning, in terms of very basic electronics and woodworking.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"