X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dmanindfw
    • Apr 2006

Sub to replace damaged Tempest?

Just a couple of months ago finished my first DIY sub using a Tempest with 500w PE plate amp. Unfortunately I didn't take the necessary steps to protect the driver and my ferret decided to put some large holes in the surround.

Now I am looking for a good replacement driver. Considering a Dayton 15" Titanic. Is this what you would recommend or is there something else I should consider? Seems like there really aren't many good choices available right now.

Specs of box:
    approx - 115 liters
    sealed

While I really enjoyed the Tempest and it was very solid for HT, I felt that it was a bit muddy for music. Not that it was bad mind you, but I kept comparing with my previous sub (M&K V125) which was very accurate although lacking real solid deep bass for movies.

BTW, I would like to stay around $200 or below.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I don't know any other driver for $200 than the Titanic 15"

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• dmanindfw
      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by ThomasW
      I don't know any other driver for $200 than the Titanic 15"
      Do you think the Soundsplinter is really worth the extra money at $270?

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Well its been said to be the best 15 sub they've tested...I beleive thats the case or maybe that was just the 12" version regardless its a very popular driver. And so is the AV-15 I believe it is.

Comment

• Paul H
          • Feb 2004

Originally posted by dmanindfw
          Just a couple of months ago finished my first DIY sub using a Tempest with 500w PE plate amp. Unfortunately I didn't take the necessary steps to protect the driver and my ferret decided to put some large holes in the surround.

Now I am looking for a good replacement driver. Considering a Dayton 15" Titanic. Is this what you would recommend or is there something else I should consider? Seems like there really aren't many good choices available right now.

Specs of box:
          approx - 115 liters
          sealed

While I really enjoyed the Tempest and it was very solid for HT, I felt that it was a bit muddy for music. Not that it was bad mind you, but I kept comparing with my previous sub (M&K V125) which was very accurate although lacking real solid deep bass for movies.

BTW, I would like to stay around $200 or below.

I have a tempest I'm considering parting with, and others may have options/drivers as well - Where are you located?

Paul

Comment

• Brian Walter
            • Sep 2005

I would suggest having the speaker surround replaced, or DIY. Then if you want to part with it, you can sell it and put those funds towards your replacement sub.

Brian Walter

Comment

• dyazdani
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Paul H
              I have a tempest I'm considering parting with, and others may have options/drivers as well - Where are you located?

Paul
              I'm guessing he's in Dallas/FW by his cryptic name.
              Danish

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

I've heard plenty of Tempests and never thought they were inherently 'muddy'. That term is usually associated with the interaction of the sub and the room (aka a placement issue).

If you want a technically superior, higher output driver, the RL-p15 is a great choice if it's in the budget.

For $210 you can get the preorder Ascendant Acoustic 15". I'm not sure how it compares to the 15" Titanic.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Scott Simonian
                  • Nov 2004

I'd say if you want a "direct" replacement. Go down to Parts Express and look at the Dayton DVC 15. It is (almost) the same woofer. Fits in the same boxes for the same alignment.

I have one Tempest and want to upgrade to four. Since they are OOP now I will have to get the DVC. Very nice subs and they go for about $150.
                  My Sound Splinter 18's each in 25cuft boxes w/ EP2500

Comment

• Tommythecat
                    • Nov 2005

TomW, I believe thats an Ascendant Arsenal not an Acoustic.

Comment

• ThomasW
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Posting before AM coffee is a bad thing, I meant to put Ascendant Audio's 15"

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Exocer
                        • Feb 2006

AE's site is up again, does anyone know if this means the AV15's are available?

Comment

• ThomasW
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

No they're not. It's going to be a couple months for the new ones.

He's got most of the parts to build ~50 of the older ones, but the parts he needs to complete them require custom machine work = $$$
                          Last edited by ThomasW; 01 May 2006, 19:21 Monday.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• dmanindfw
                            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by dyazdani
                            I'm guessing he's in Dallas/FW by his cryptic name.
                            You are absolutely correct sir.

Comment

• dmanindfw
                              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by ThomasW
                              I've heard plenty of Tempests and never thought they were inherently 'muddy'. That term is usually associated with the interaction of the sub and the room (aka a placement issue).

If you want a technically superior, higher output driver, the RL-p15 is a great choice if it's in the budget.

For $210 you can get the preorder Ascendant Acoustic 15". I'm not sure how it compares to the 15" Titanic.
                              As usual you are probably correct on the placement. Maybe muddy isn't necessarily the correct term, but the Tempest didn't sound as tight as the M&K. With the current box the Tempest is in (Adire Mid-q) box I assume that actual q of the system is above .7 since the internal volume is somewhat smaller (due to amp displacement) . Kyle Richardson modelled the Titanic for me and concluded that it would have a q around 0.67 in my current box. Generally how will this affect the sound? Do I assume correctly that this should provide more "accurate" bass than in the higher q system I had with the Tempest? What other pros/cons do I get with this alignment?

Comment

• ThomasW
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

With the lower "Q" alignments (0.5 for example) you don't get an overly boosted bottom end when room gain does it's thing.

The nice thing about low "Q" alignments is that you can easily make them sound like higher "Q" aligments with the addition of a bit of EQ. It's physically impossible to make a higher "Q" alignment sound like a lower "Q" one.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"