X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nox9colt45
    • Apr 2006

Driver suggestions

I'm lookin to build a MTM design. Crossover was targeted to be around 2k or so, but hard to say with out having a speaker selected. My sub will be able to handle up to 100hz or so, so i am looking for a speaker that is flat as can be from 100-2k. Also want it to be somewhat good off axis, like 30deg is enough. I also want a 4ohm driver, so i can run 8 ohm load. This has made my selection A LOT SMALLER, which sucks.

Price range im looking to spend is UP TO $60. My real target is $40, but if the 20 bucks gets me a much better speaker, its worth it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
  • derekbannatyne
    • Jan 2006

Is that $60 for the whole speaker?

Comment

• KeithM
      • Oct 2005

Look at the Daton 7" RS woofer. There's proven designs stickied on this forum.

Comment

• nox9colt45
        • Apr 2006

lol no, $60 per driver, I have looked at the Daytion RS, and i do like them. It just started to drop before 100hz according to the partsX response graph, and just a little less steady at the 2k crossover (if i decide to go with that).

I should ask however, does anyone have any experiences with an Onkyo TX-SR502 stable to 4ohm? I would run 4ohm (2X 8ohm drivers then), but i dont want to build the Xover, and have it not work, or possibly fry my receiver.

Comment

• cotdt
          • Oct 2005

The Parts Express graphs don't have a crossover to add BSC, and I think they use an infinite baffle or something like that. In actual use the FR remains flat until much deeper.

In my room, even the single-RS180 ModulaMT goes much deeper than 100Hz, so the MTM version should go even deeper. Besides, the ModulaMT (and MTM) are a little low-end heavy which give us the perception that the bass goes even deeper than it actually does.

Comment

• nox9colt45
            • Apr 2006

Thats really good to know. My first idea was to use the Dayton RS's. thanks

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Besides, the ModulaMT (and MTM) are a little low-end heavy which give us the perception that the bass goes even deeper than it actually does.
              We prefer the term 'robust' or better yet Rubenesk'....:wink:

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"