X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nox9colt45
    • Apr 2006

Which Drivers do you use

Just starting a thread listing what drivers people use in thier speaker designs, and maybe a quick something if ya like em or not.

For myself, still in process of deciding, but looking to buy the

Peerless Exclusive 830882 5.5" woofers

Not sure which tweeter yet.

EDIT: This is a post for everyone to just see what other people are using. If they are new to DYI, they can get a good idea of what people like to use on this forum. If they decide not to go with already designed speakers.
  • TacoD
    Super Senior Member
    • Feb 2004

On this board many use Dayton RS series.

There are a lot of good drivers, you can't go wrong with Peerless Exclusive. If you want to do a 2-way with 5" drivers, I would suggest a d'Appolito.

Comment

• Jed
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Apr 2005

I'm in the early stages of designing a 3-way using the Accuton C12, Peerless 830881 4" midrange, and Dayton RS225. I've heard the Accuton and Dayton and both are amazing. I hope the 881 is a good match. From what I understand, the 881 has very low distortion across much of its FR.

Comment

• cotdt
        • Oct 2005

I'm interested in the 830882 for use as midrange after really liking the 830883. I've tried a lot of hi-end domes, now I want to try the ribbon tweeter route, and crossing high. I've had better success with 2-way/sub than 3-way. Crossing over between 100-400Hz seems to bring in problems, although I'm experimenting with time alignment and it seems to fix the problems.

Comment

• Jed
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by cotdt
          I've tried a lot of hi-end domes, now I want to try the ribbon tweeter route, and crossing high.
          Depending on how high, you might be better off with the 881. Very low distortion according to tests I've seen. Although, same goes for the 882- just can't go as high. Let us know what you decide. I decided that the 881 would work well because I plan on crossing over around 3K to the C12s, and CTC issues become an issue if going much higher than that. With the 881's truncated frame, mounting the square diameter flange tweeter closer to the midrange center is one design consideration on my part. I've also started playing around with some of Jon's crossover topologies he developed for the Opus clone. Some interesting things are to be learned from it - even when substituting RS225 for the C220 and the 881 for the C79 while juggling different component values.

Jed

Comment

• cotdt
            • Oct 2005

How's your project coming along Jed? Seems like your tastes mirror mine, except I'm making computer speakers that will be up against the wall, and the woofers will be separated. The 881's truncated frame seems useful, and it can cross over at 3kHz which is my target.

I think you're right Jed. Looking at the 882 tests, it's just barely good to 3kHz meaning I would want to cross over a lot sooner... it's not high enough for a ribbon tweeter. Although maybe crossing it over at 3kHz won't be so bad after all, I don't know. Maybe I should go with the 881 instead, I would have to cross at 200Hz or higher. I'm thinking either a pair of RS225's (my favorite) or a pair of RS 12" HF subwoofers. For woofer to mid, I'll use active (analog) crossover with time alignment and the inherent recessing of the ribbon tweeters automatically take care of time alignment, so for mid/tweeter I'll just use a passive. My opinion when it comes to passive versus active (digital) is that when passive uses nice expensive capacitors, the passive is noticeably better. I don't have any opinions on analog active yet, maybe it depends on the opamp and capacitors used.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"