X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ski_merlin
    • Apr 2006

Ported Sub Help

Hey all,

I'm pretty sure most of you have seen the "Dorm/Party Speakers" thread where I finally decided on building a pair of speakers using Eminence Beta 10CX's and Eminence ASD1001's. It should be a great project and I want to thank everyone that helped me come to my conclusions. Mark said he will be working on a project using those drivers sometime, so I'm going to wait until I can get a crossover plan, box layout, etc. to start building (I'm guessing late summer). But until then, I'd like to take care of the two things that I can get out of the way in early summer...my receiver and subwoofer/plate amp.

If you weren't following my first thread, this system is for a small "listening" room...our music room for parties. It's about 20'x20' (if that) so it's not huge at all. We will be using a playlist from an MP3 player exclusively, so CD player isn't necessary. I've been going with the Sony STR-DE197 stereo receiver (100Wx2 RMS) from the beginning because iit's cheap (will be in a party environment). Now with the sensitivity of my speakers I know it'll drive them fine, my only question is how to get a signal to my subwoofer plate amp (I've never hooked up anything like that, so I don't know what kind of output I'm looking for...RCA, etc.). If this won't work for me, are there any other cheap receivers (I've been looking at used H&K ones on eBay) that will work for me?

And for the subwoofer, I really like Mark's suggestion for the Dayton DCS380-4 classic 15" and 250W RMS PE plate amp combo from PE. At under $200 for both, it's what I'm looking for. Now I'm using the WinISD Pro beta to look at box parameters, but being a noob, it's difficult to understand what the graphs are showing me. Can anyone suggest some box volume parameters and port tunings (and round port dimensions)? Being an idiot, I just can't get the response as flat as some of the graphs I see on here. Oh, and the reason I want a ported design (I usually like sealed) is because it's going to be used mostly for loud music (rap/rock/pop whatever) and the "boominess" factor is what the people like...I suppose.

Thanks again guys...along with JeepForum.com, HTGuide has been the most useful website I've ever experienced, and it's all because of the people that frequent the forums...so just thank you!

~J
    Last edited by theSven; 01 October 2023, 19:44 Sunday. Reason: Update url
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I think you'll run out of excursion quickly with that particular driver. The Quatro 15" or better yet the DVC 15 IMO are better choices.

It's best to have a receiver with a sub output. I don't follow that world so others will have to lead you there...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Dotay
      • Oct 2004

Originally posted by ThomasW
      I think you'll run out of excursion quickly with that particular driver. The Quatro 15" or better yet the DVC 15 IMO are better choices.

It's best to have a receiver with a sub output. I don't follow that world so others will have to lead you there...
      What about using the DVC driver in the horn enclosure Adire designed for the Tempest since they're supposed to be nearly identicle drivers? That should make for a pretty good "party" sub right?

Comment

• ski_merlin
        • Apr 2006

I don't think I'll be able to afford the DVC design (~$130), but the Quattro design (~$86) is a definite possibilty. Just waiting for more people to tune in before deciding...I'm just looking for thoughts an a ported subwoofer for ~$200. Nothing special needed. Just a little low-end fill. I really want to start this project in 3 weeks or so.

Thanks,
        ~J

Comment

• SteveCallas
          • Aug 2005

Just waiting for more people to tune in before deciding
          I agree, get the Quatro 15. Many have built a Quatro/240 watt plate amp combo in the past and have been pleased.

Comment

• WillyD
            • Feb 2006

Originally posted by SteveCallas
            I agree, get the Quatro 15. Many have built a Quatro/240 watt plate amp combo in the past and have been pleased.
            Yeah, for what he needs this sub for, that combo should work just fine.

Comment

• ski_merlin
              • Apr 2006

Just brainstorming a bit. I never really seen anyone utilize the speaker outputs from a subwoofer plate amp. Could I just run my Beta 10CX's off of this amp too, along with my Quatro 15...just get rid of a reciever all together and plus the mp3 right into the amp for parties.

Comment

• joecarrow
                • Apr 2005

Originally posted by ski_merlin
                Just brainstorming a bit. I never really seen anyone utilize the speaker outputs from a subwoofer plate amp. Could I just run my Beta 10CX's off of this amp too, along with my Quatro 15...just get rid of a reciever all together and plus the mp3 right into the amp for parties.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=300-804

Hey Ski, here's how that works-

You take the speaker level input from another amp and put the speaker wires into the input terminals, then run another set of speaker wires out of the output terminals to your speakers. The subwoofer amp just passes the power right through without adding any power to the speakers. It just takes the signal passing through as the input for the subwoofer output.

I don't know if I consider this to be "optimal", and someone else would need to speak up about if it's "good enough". One problem, however, is that I don't think it puts a high-pass to your main speakers. A high pass will keep them from playing the low notes, and they'll be able to go louder and cleaner.
                -Joe Carrow

Comment

• ski_merlin
                  • Apr 2006

ohhh ok, i get it now. i'm trying to apply the car audio knowledge to home audio and it's so different. just high-level inputs..gotcha!

i'm goin to build the sub first..i just need a ported box with this combo..the quatro 15/dayton 240W. i've tried gettin some dimensions and port designs through WinISD with..well. unpromising results. still not a master at it, imagine that lol.

can anybody recommend a design for me...it seems there's so many version of the quatro design that i don't know which to go with lol. and which are finals versions/revisions.

thanks again
                  ~J

Comment

• SteveCallas
                    • Aug 2005

How about 170 liters with a 6" diameter, 28" long port? With this design, one dimension of the sub will have to be pretty long to account for the port.

Comment

• ski_merlin
                      • Apr 2006

since space is an issue...i looked at Dayton's recommended parameters.

ported = 5.5 ft^3 (about 155.7 L)
                      F3 of 24 Hz
                      4" x 12.5" port

when i run the numbers through WinISD though, it says the port will need to be 4" x 7.72" ...oh well. any help?

thank you
                      ~J

Comment

• ski_merlin
                        • Apr 2006

so a 20" x 20" x 24" box would work for me? that 5.55 ft^3. i gotta take out the volume for the driver and the braces i guess too.

Comment

• ski_merlin
                          • Apr 2006

hey guys.

i'm buying the dayton quatro 15 subwoofer and dayton 240W RMS plate amp at the end of the week. i'm gettin two of each, because i'm building one for my townhouse party music application, and building another for my dad's HT/music setup.

did some research and found that a lot of people are using Adire's allignment design (214L, tuned to 15.4 Hz, overdamped with 64oz of polyfill, down firing driver and dual ports). so far this is my plan to follow (more info on the link), i just want to know if that's what you think?

VentedTempestApplications.PDF

~J
                          Last edited by theSven; 05 July 2023, 09:43 Wednesday. Reason: Attach PDF

Comment

• ThomasW
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

The Quatro is a weird driver, it doesn't do well in a ported box. That's why the plans on the PE website specify a sealed box.

If you want a driver to put in the Adire Alignment buy the PE DVC15, it's virtually a clone of the Tempest, and is a much, much, better driver than the Quatro.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• ski_merlin
                              • Apr 2006

thank you thomas. DVC it is...

Comment

• PaulC
                                • Feb 2006

I have been an avid reader of this forum for a year or so, but this is my first post. This forum is a first class operation in every way.

Ski, what you are looking for is essentially a PA machine and not a home music reproduction device. The advice you have received has been utterly first rate and the project is good as is, but....

Something more PA oriented may be more to your taste. I hesitate to make suggestions in this forum, but are you familiar with Bill Fitzmaurice?

You may find his "Omni 15" design is what you are looking for.

His plans include crossovers and full parts lists and any advice you might need is thrown in. Several persons I respect find Fitzmaurice credible; I have a little PA experience myself and find Fitzmaurice believable. His forum is

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"