X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Exocer
    • Feb 2006

Rythmik Servo ported.

Hey guys,
    I've already tried the Rythmik servo in a sealed allignment and am happy with the results. My next step is to try it in a vented enclosure. RA's site recommends an enclosure size of 3ft^3 for a vented allignment. I would like to use PE's precision 4" port/s if possible, but am not sure how to enter the measurement for ports into unibox. If i used an inside port diameter of 4" (or 10.16cm) How does this take into account actual port length?

Click image for larger version

Name:	VBResponseRythmikAudioDs126iportven.gif
Views:	27
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	943023

Edit: the above graph is with 6" port.
    Edit: Can someone explain that 1db boost @ the tuning point? Whenever I remove it, the FB changes to 18hz automatically. There is definitely something not right.
    Last edited by theSven; 25 June 2023, 22:33 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
  • Jack Gilvey
    • Aug 2001

the above graph is with 6" port.
    Pretty long port.

Can someone explain that 1db boost @ the tuning point?
    The FR graph is a product of the driver specs and chosen Vb/Fb. I don't get that hump when I sim the same driver/alignment, though. Can you list the specs you're using?

Whenever I remove it, the FB changes to 18hz automatically.
    Typically, lowering Fb will get rid of such a hump, so that's probably what the program is doing if you optimized Fb for a 0dB peak...is that what you did?

Comment

• Exocer
      • Feb 2006

yeah, i did optimize fb for a 0db peak, to try and get rid of the 1db hump. When i get back from work/school i will post the specs I used for the driver. Must get to work now :T be back

Comment

• Exocer
        • Feb 2006

Heres what I used.
        Fs : 26
        Re : 2.80 Ohm
        Qms : 7.42
        Qes : .53
        Sd : 530cm^2
        Vas 88L
        X max : 19.3
        Le : 1.00mH

When I mention using a 6" port, this is the inside port diameter I inserted.AKA, i dont know how to determine port length from the data.

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Just enter the box size, the tuning frequency, and the diameter of the port. The program calculates the length of the port.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Exocer
            • Feb 2006

It seems that with "walls covered" damping, I get the 1db peak. When I choose "heavy fill" The peak disappears.

I've since switched to two 3" ports but it says "min port dia!" of a size larger than 3". What does this mean?

Edit: i was looking at the port diameter min for the standard design...oops

The problem was in "external components" re was .5ohm...that caused the hump.
            Last edited by Exocer; 26 April 2006, 19:20 Wednesday.

Comment

• Exocer
              • Feb 2006

Latest graph attached. 5cu.ft enclosure with 32" long 6" port (anyone say sewer pipe or sonotube? )

Name:	VB Response Rythmik Audio Ds125cu6inchport.gif
Views:	182
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	845453
              Last edited by theSven; 25 June 2023, 22:34 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• derekbannatyne
                • Jan 2006

How are you gonna fit a 32" port in a 5 cubic foot box/sonotube? That would be really long and skinny.

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Heavy fill isn't used for ported boxes, it's used for sealed.
                  I've since switched to two 3" ports but it says "min port dia!" of a size larger than 3". What does this mean?
                  As you've discovered it means the program is recommending a larger diameter port to lower the Mach numbers. You can ignore it or switch to a single port that has a larger diameter.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Exocer
                    • Feb 2006

Originally posted by derekbannatyne
                    How are you gonna fit a 32" port in a 5 cubic foot box/sonotube? That would be really long and skinny.
                    You're right. Probably fugly as well...

Thomas, would it be the worst thing in the world if I used a port diameter just slightly smaller than what Unibox suggests? It seems that going with a larger port diameter exponentially increases port length as well.

Comment

• Scott Simonian
                      • Nov 2004

Exocer - Would you be able to post the same graph with "FR affected by Le, Le2, Re2" checked? Don't forget to check the "include effect of port resonance" too!

It would show a more accurate picture of alignment.
                      My Sound Splinter 18's each in 25cuft boxes w/ EP2500

Comment

• Exocer
                        • Feb 2006

Here

Name:	VB Response Rythmik Audio Ds12fb20res.gif
Views:	154
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	845455
                        Last edited by theSven; 25 June 2023, 22:34 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Amphiprion
                          • Apr 2006

A 4" port should be fine for a 12" driver with that kind of excursion. Alternatively you could use three 3" ports like SVS does. I personally do not like ports much over 18" in length (I tried a 28" port one time, and it had a weird sound to it. Shortened it down to something like 22" and it fixed it).

If you are using the PP flared ports, I believe you need to add about an inch to account for the flare's effect. I think they come with a formula sheet that tells you how to do the correction, but it's been a while since I've ordered one.

You should use light fill for a ported box. I did some measurements of stuffed ported boxes a while back, up to 50% fill. I have the impedance curves somewhere. If you know how to calculate Ql from an impedance curve, you can see that stuffing totally screwed it to hell. It did kill out all the standing waves in the box though (large box, 9cf or so).

ETA: .5ohms may be a little high for series resistance.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"