X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shawn Solar
    • Apr 2005

AA Avalanche 15 sealed

Hello All,

I have just recieved 2 avalanche 15 subs and I plan to build a couple of sealed subs. I plan 3ft^3 to 3.5ft^3 each with about 500watts to each sub. These will replace a single BP1503 in a 5.5ft^3 tuned to 22hz.

I previously tried two av12's sealed and although they sounded great they lacked output. I was just looking to confirm that the two avalanche subs will be on par with my single ported sub as far as output is concerned. I know an Ib is best :P but that is not a possiblity at this time(maybe 6 months from now :E ) Thanks guys
  • Jman
    • Apr 2005

The av12's are about 2.5L displacement each, the 15's are 4L each. So 5L vs 8L. Should be similar to the Blueprint ported, maybe a couple dB under but more extension and better group delay and impulse response.

Comment

• Bent
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2003

Shawn, what are your plan's for the '1503?

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

They won't have the same output at 22Hz, since the sealed design will be rolling off. With EQ you should be able to reproduce much of what the ported design does.....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Shawn Solar
          • Apr 2005

Thanks guys.

I really like the SQ of a sealed. I figure for the most part I have never clipped my amp with the ported 1503. Even when i used it to dj my wedding and 3 stag and does. But I do like headroom just in case 8) If the two sealed subs are within a couple db's I think I should be fine.

Whats everyone opinion on XBL^2 split gap. Its kind of why I chose this woofer. I figured it would help being that I'm going sealed and coming closer to xmax limits. that and the lower fs. I figured xmax and sd being equal between these and the 1503 the avalanche would have an audible advantage with the split gap coil and all. Not sure if that will equate to higher output but we will see :E

Bent

The 1503 will probably sit in a corner and collect dust. Much like my Av12's and two "shiva" like subs are collecting dust.I would not mind selling it but it has been damaged. It has not affected the mechanical or electrical ability of the sub or sound quality. The lip by one of the screws cracked off when it fell out the box. I epoxy'd it back in place and have been able to get a tight seal but I would have to sell discounted 8O

Comment

• opt-e
            • Nov 2004

Shawn, you have a PM.

Comment

• Dotay
              • Oct 2004

Check out my thread about my Avalanche 15". I have a bunch of measurements towards the end of the post. I made mine out of 18" sonotube that is 24" high. I have two layers of 3/4" material inside for each end cap so the total internal height is 21" so my volume is almost exactly 3 cu/ft. Here is the nearfield response I measured using a RS meter with correction values.

I'm not sure quite how accurate it is but I'd imagine it's relatively close.

It sounds really good in room compared to the subs I've owned in the past (Infinity BU-2, Dayton mini 10") but I can't compare it to a quality driver in a ported alignment.

I just received the necessary materials I'll need to EQ the sub using a BFD and room eq wizard so hopefully I'll be able to smooth out my in room response a bit and maybe pick up a little boost in the low end.

Comment

• Shawn Solar
                • Apr 2005

Nice work Dotay,

I plan to do a box design.I have built two sono's now and need the practice for boxes and veneer. I would actually do large ported boxes but the wife would like to keep the box under 3ft tall lol. better keep on her good side as I got the ok to buy one and I bought two :T

I can't wait. I just got to get time to put it together. I'm working for about three companies now :E

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"