X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HMenke
    • Feb 2006

Subwoofer workout - DVDs with Seismic Bass

With all the new subs being completed in the last few weeks, I thought it might be fun to find out what DVDs people have found to shatter the plaster. When I built my sonotube, I never intended to induce seismic tremors - but have since found out DIY earthquakes are fun!

My favorites so far:
    • Finding Nemo (Darla tapping on fish tank)
    • Titan A.E. (most of it, but especially the ice field and the planetary synthesis)
    • War of the Worlds (machine emergence and death rays)
    • Master and Commander (under attack)
    What is amazing to me is the added experience having deep, impactful bass can bring to these films. I was completely missing all this before!

As a side note, my wife now calls my old Paradigm PS-1000 box subwoofer "the little one". :B
  • Nathan P
    • Mar 2006

I'll add the opening scene of SW EII, that thing kills my little 10 inch, of course, that is good because now my dad wants a new one

Comment

• HMenke
      • Feb 2006

Cool, I'll have to try that one out. One of my previous favorites had been the asteroid field in SW EII, but it doesn't have as much deep bass as you'd think.

Comment

• Joe L.
        • Aug 2005

Try "Flight of the Pheonix," or "Batman Begins," or the DTS version of "The Haunting" or any of the "Lord of the Rings" DVDs.

They will all give your sub a workout. It does not need to crack the plaster to add to the movie experience.

I'm constantly amaized at the low frequency content on a lot of movies out there put to set the mood. Subtle tremors, heartbeats, vibrations are equally important as the major seismic events in my opinion.

Comment

• kgveteran
          • Oct 2005

We've been watching "Zethura".Towards the middle where the Astronaut enters the plot.It's a cool movie also.
          Here is my LCR "Trio". Way to go guys !

Comment

• HMenke
            • Feb 2006

Joe, I'll definitely check those out. Just finished "King Kong" and it had tons of sub action, including subtle mood setting as you talked about.

kg, "Zathura" is one of our favorites - haven't tried it with the new sub but now it's also on the list!

Comment

• howburger
              • Jul 2005

My vote is definitely for WOTW for non-subtlety and Batman Begins for subtlety. There is a thread over at AVS with some more.

Harold
              Because I'm the man in black.........

Comment

• khellandros66
                • Apr 2006

Jurrasic Park DTS
                Saving Private Ryan DTS
                Band of Brothers
                Phantom of The Opera (scene where the phantom says "DID I NOT INSTRUCT THAT BOX FIVE WAS TO E KEPT EMPTY!!!")

Music Wise
                Nine Inch Nails With Teeth
                The General's Daughter
                anyhting AK1200

~Bob

Comment

• Habs4life
                  • Apr 2006

U571, the depth charges are nasty.

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

Perhaps we could move this thread over to the Home Theater section so everybody can participate?

Some good stuff here.
                    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                    - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"