X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nathan P
    • Mar 2006

Parts Express Boxes

Okay, I have been looking at the parts express prebuilt boxes and I was wondering what you guys think of them? How much cheaper is it to build your own? How muck does veneer cost and how hard is it to handle? The box I'm looking at is the 1cu ft box and it is 100, can I build a 1 Cu Ft box for less than that?

Thanks,
    Nathan
  • WillyD
    • Feb 2006

Yes, you can build cabinets for a good bit less, but what you have to figure is how much time it will take you and how skilled you are.

Some prefer to build the cabinets themselves to save money, others because they are skilled carpenters/or they want the cabinet to be a specific size or style.

I suggest that if you are a busy man, you don't have much experience with building speaker cabinets, and you like the looks of any of the PE cabinets, then get those.

However, if you are short on cash or you want to build a different style cabinet, then by all means build them yourself.

FWIW - I am very impressed with the PE cabinets. I have the .75 cuft cabs and they are excellent. The $85 each was worth it to me because I couldn't have made a cabinet of equal quality without spending a lot of time I didn't have. This also allowed me to concentrate on the crossover more...

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

:agree:

Well, if you're asking this question at all, than the answer probably is that for the money and effort, you can't match the PE boxes. That's why I chose them for some of these projects.

If you're experienced with veneering and finishing, and you have spare time and sweat equity to devote, then you can build your own and be more flexible about size (more LF extension for the MTM's), etc. But don't kid yourself that you're saving money. Unless you value your time below minimum wage.

~JON
      the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Nathan P
        • Mar 2006

Good point. I'll just save a little more and save myself some trouble and use the PE boxes, the cherry stain I think it is called is especially purty.

Comment

• Nathan P
          • Mar 2006

Oh, PE says the 1 CU box is for an mtm. Can you use it for an MT?

Comment

• khellandros66
            • Apr 2006

IDK I started messing around trying to make a box after I ordered mine for my sub, and uhhh yeah, I need alot of practice. The PE box I ordered weighs about 30lbs so its no slouch.

~Bob

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Oh, PE says the 1 CU box is for an mtm. Can you use it for an MT?
              As long as you don't tell the box it won't know....:wink:

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Nathan P
                • Mar 2006

lol I didn't know if it had different bracing etc.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"