X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vanders
    • Apr 2006

What to build, I need help!

Hi all,
    I'm a babe to this speaker building thing, but I love the passion you guys have for this obviously addictive hobby.

I've been searching post after post trying to find the right speaker for my first build. The more I look the more frustrated I get so now its time to just pick one & start...........but which one?

I'm looking for a dual purpose speaker, music & HT.
    Amp is a Yamaha RX-v650 7.1 Channel
    2 impedance switch options.

1 - 4 ohm front speakers
    6 ohm other speakers

2 - 8 ohm all speakers

Which option should I build to?

What helps decide 2 or 3 way?

Short list: Modula MT, Modula MTM, Natalie P (bookshelf or tower), Dr K's MTM 2.5

I'm also looking at a setup that I can add (build of course) all the other surround speakers to complete the overall project.

At the end of the day I'm no audiophile, I'm a half deaf tradesman (not really half deaf) but enjoy building, & I figure if your going to build something why not get the most from it.

The other reason to sound good is that the 'Chief of Finance & War' (wife) is a part time musician, so if the first ones sound great she make not put the brakes on further projects.

Anyway you are the guys I know can set me straight. ;x(
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

Natalie P mains (RL), Modula MT surround.

If you can swing it, go with the 3-way WTMW center. And if you've the budget and space, (only another ~150-200 I think?) go with the matching 3-way TMWW's instead of the Natalie P's as mains. I would consider the Modula MT for center over a horizontal MTM but the Natalie P may suffice as center.

If you need more confusion (say, lower budget, smaller), we can oblige. Plenty of other really good options out there.

C
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Dan B
      • Feb 2005

And maybe this to go with...

Dan B

My Projects

Comment

• WillyD
        • Feb 2006

Originally posted by cjd
        Natalie P mains (RL), Modula MT surround.

If you can swing it, go with the 3-way WTMW center. And if you've the budget and space, (only another ~150-200 I think?) go with the matching 3-way TMWW's instead of the Natalie P's as mains. I would consider the Modula MT for center over a horizontal MTM but the Natalie P may suffice as center.

If you need more confusion (say, lower budget, smaller), we can oblige. Plenty of other really good options out there.

C
        He is most correct. :T

Comment

• Vanders
          • Apr 2006

Is impedance an issue?
          As I said in my post my amp with 95W/ channel has two options for impedance: 4 ohm mains & 6 ohm centre & surrounds. OR 8 ohm all channels?

Comment

• gimpy
            • Sep 2004

Vanders, I have the RX-V630. It has the same two options as your 650 as far an impedance switch. I have it set on 4 ohm. I have two Adire 281's (4 ohm) and a Triune center (not sure if it is 4 or 8 ohms). It seems to do fine in my system. As far as I know, it's never clipped or done anything. I generally play it at around the -40 mark on the volume (about half way, I think). That's fairly loud. Wife is always asking me to turn it down. I have taken it down (up?) to about the mid -20's a time or two for a short period of time, but that is getting a little loud for even me in my room.

The 281's seem to be power hungry and my 281's don't seem to play as loud as the Triune when I play 5.1, but it just probably needs recalibration (been awhile since I have run my Avia disk).

I was even told on another forum that a Yamaha tech had told this person that even with 4 ohm speakers, the impedance switch should be kept at 8 ohms, but I did not follow that advice.

Hope this helps some.

Frank

Comment

• Vanders
              • Apr 2006

Thanks Frank, thats what I was planning to do, just not sure how to build all other speakers (except mains) to run using 6 ohms.

Comment

• gimpy
                • Sep 2004

Vanders, I (I think most of us) go through the same dilemna (sp), especially when you are new to the hobby/addiction. My 281's aren't even a year old and I want new ones (hopefully better ones). I've waffled back and forth on my decisions the last couple of months.

Like you, I had settled on either the nat p's or the mod mtm's. Then I went and listened to a friend's 3-way system. Now, I've changed my mind again. I am now looking at the 3-way design by Dennis Murphy ("dawaro's" sticky) and also the MBOW1 3-way on Dennis Murphy's web site. I guess I had better hurry up and decide and start or I will change my mind and look at 4,5 or 6 ways, if they even make something like that.

Anyway, I am not going to let the impedance question really enter into the decision process for me. I was concerned when I first built the 281's, but, since I have had no problem with it, I have pretty much forgotten about it. But, rest assured, my next purchase will have the ability to run 4 ohm with no problem. I also plan to eventually do the mt's as rears, but that may be awhile (next year?).

From all I've read, most people have not had problems pushing the 4 ohm speakers as reasonable listening levels. But having said that, there is always the chance that something could happen (am I waffling again?).

BUT, that is just my opinion. In the end, it is only money. You can't take it with you.

I hope you all the best with whatever decision you make/speakers you go with.

Frank

Comment

• cjd
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Dec 2004

FWIW it is 100% safe to run speakers with *higher* impedance than suggested.

So, you can run 8ohm surrounds, not 6ohm.

Running lower impedance speakers means more heat, more distortion (more likely to clip the amp)... so running 4ohm and the amp set to 8ohm is plain silly.

C

Comment

• Vanders
                    • Apr 2006

No what I will proberbly do is run on the 4ohm/6ohm setting, meaning I will run the mains/front speakers at 4 ohms & the others being designed for 8ohm but amp giving impedance of 6ohm.

Comment

• Vanders
                      • Apr 2006

Is there a big difference in performance between th MT, MTM & Natalie P?
                      What are the different characteristics between them?

Comment

• TacoD
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Feb 2004

The MTM has an extra woofer this means more dynamics and less distortion. Also the x-over filter is more high-tec (also more expensive) allowing for a smoother transition. This is the best performing option, looking at raw specs.

The Natalie P in comparison to the Modula MT has different filter topology. Choose MT for the more neutral/ precise sound and the Natalie for more output and a fuller presentation of the bass.

I think both the MT and the Natalie P are perfect candidates for the surround channels (your amp is capable of driving these). As fronts you can do a MTM (bookshel or floorstander) or one of the bigger designs.
                        Last edited by TacoD; 23 April 2006, 10:54 Sunday. Reason: made a mistake, thought the NatalieP was the small bookshelf with Hivi 6"

Comment

• cjd
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Dec 2004

The Modula MT will also be more limited on how loud it can play.

And, the amp impedance ratings are simply the limits on what *speaker* impedance should be no lower than. At any rate, don't worry too much about it.

Run 4/6 and you'll be safe no matter what. My guess is that setting lowers the power supply voltage to prevent overheating the circuits.

For a first project, the Modula MTM may be pressing luck a smidge on the tweeters. Natalie P is a "safer" design for those that like to crank it up. And a better match (or so I have heard) for the Modula MT.

C

Comment

• Vanders
                            • Apr 2006

Thanks guys! Thats what I needed to hear.
                            Does anyone actually have the latest drawings & design specs for the Natalie P (cabinet & x over). Are there different combinations of drivers used?

This is a great pool of knowlege to draw from. I love these forums.

Comment

• ThomasW
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

The first post of each sticky design thread is kept up to date.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"