X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GMorris
    • Jan 2006

Still in planning stages of home theater room

I'm still in planning stages for a home theater design and was hoping to get some input on a couple of ideas:

1. Planning on having a 5-6' tall 18" diameter sonosub in corners to the left and right of projector screen. My idea that I have not seen done anywhere (not that it hasn't been done) is to wrap the sonosubs in 4" fiberglass so that it will double as a bass trap. Endcaps will also extend 4" out from sonotube. Still haven't figured what to cover the fiberglass with though. Good idea/bad idea? Might as well?

2. Room will be in an unfinished basement. Portions of the to-be-built wall will have fabric surface with 6" of fiberglass behind to absorb reflections. I'm also thinking a speaker with baffle-step compensation could be placed closer to this fabric wall than a normal one...correct? Does anyone know how sound absorbing material affects bsc? Could I potentially even recess the speaker a bit if it is surrounded by enough fiberglass?

Thanks for any thoughts,

Greg
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

They won't work as bass traps since traps need to be hollow. 4" of damping isn't thick enough to absorb any bass.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• GMorris
      • Jan 2006

So just leave the fiberglass off the tube and put it in the corner?

Comment

• dyazdani
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by GMorris
        So just leave the fiberglass off the tube and put it in the corner?
        The corner IS a good place to put a bass trap, but a sonotube wrapped in fiberglass won't work as a bass trap.

You could leave some space for a bass trap in the corner and put your sub a little inward if you want. That's what I did, though I don't have any sonotube subs.
        Danish

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

If you've seen the sand filled so called bass trap on the DIYnetwork, that's not a bass trap. That's a diffuser regardless of what they call it.

Corner bass traps are usually thick, mine are 1/4th wire mesh cylinders filled with fiberglass. The radius of the cylinder is 24"

Here's a link to get you started

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Jim Griffin
            • Apr 2006

Planning Home Theater

Greg,

I would suggest that you read Earl Geddes' "Premium Home Theater" book (www.gedlee.com) which summarizes what needs to be done in building a home theater.

Jim

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"