X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • A Reef Scene
    • Apr 2006

? about speakers

I'm looking at some speakers for my towers. The speaker is going to be a 3 way type. The tweeter is a Vifa D27TG-35-06. My ? is, are morel speakers better then daytons for a mid and a woffer in 3 way speaker. Both look like great speakers but one might have a draw back I dont know about. Any info would be great.

Thanks
    A Reef Scene
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

These towers, they're built already?

You going to toss a junk stock crossover in there, or custom?

Some Dayton stuff is top notch, some is far more budget oriented. Morel, depending on the particular component, falls somewhere in that range. Both companies have an awful lot of drivers available, so I really can't answer the question accurately.

But, depending how you go with crossover, it may not matter.

C
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• A Reef Scene
      • Apr 2006

I'm going to build a custom crossover for the system. The towers are not built yet just looking to replace what I have now.

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Since you're creating a system from scratch, be prepared to have testing gear and software to measure the drivers you're going to use in your chosen baffle. (the mfgr's published specs shouldn't be trusted)

Then import that measured data into a crossover design program and optimize the transfer functions. (Note the XO design programs don't not design the XO for you. You must know how to design a XO in order to use the program.)

Once you have the first pass of the XO built, you'll need to go back and remeasure what's been created, then adjust any and all values in the crossover to optimize performance.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• cjd
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Dec 2004

Which Daytons and Morels were you looking at?

Comment

• A Reef Scene
            • Apr 2006

Would the Dayton woffer tester be a good choice to get all the proper values?

Comment

• cjd
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Dec 2004

not really. It gets you some, not all.

You really need a computer with appropiate sound card, measurement mic (not just any mic is adequate) and possibly a phantom power supply for the mic.

C

Comment

• A Reef Scene
                • Apr 2006

IS there a good set up? And where can I get one?

Comment

• cjd
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Dec 2004

I use Speaker Workshop (free), M-Audio Revolution sound card (~$50), Behringer Mic and UB802 mixer (~$100). Plus stand and wires and measurement jig for SW, which ignores the complexity of getting good and accurate measurement data.

If you don't have Windows, it becomes more complex I think.

C

Comment

• ThomasW
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Surprising as it may be this forum has a very good search engine.

DIY (Do it yourself): Cabinetry, speakers, subwoofers, crossovers, measurements. Jon and Thomas have probably designed and built as many speakers as any non-professionals. Who are we kidding? They are pros, they just don't do it for a living. This has got to be one of the most advanced places on the net to talk speaker building, period.

DIY (Do it yourself): Cabinetry, speakers, subwoofers, crossovers, measurements. Jon and Thomas have probably designed and built as many speakers as any non-professionals. Who are we kidding? They are pros, they just don't do it for a living. This has got to be one of the most advanced places on the net to talk speaker building, period.
                    Last edited by theSven; 27 May 2023, 10:26 Saturday. Reason: Update htguie urls

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• A Reef Scene
                      • Apr 2006

My computer is in a snit and locked up using the serch. But I think it fixed now, Thanks for the links

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"