X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jtt
    • Feb 2006

Subwoofer Line Array

After looking over the advice on this forum I've ordered up 4 Sound Splinter RL-p 15's.

For the sake of simplicity and hoping to be able to carry the enclosure with less then 4 people I was planning on building 4 separate boxes (7 cubic foot vented boxes tuned to 18hz via 6" aeroports) and just setting them all next to each other. I was planning on wiring them up outside of the boxes in series-parallel to my Crown K2.

I can't guarantee that all 4 boxes will be exactly the same size, but I'm sure I can get them close.

I'm worried that a size mismatch (or some other unforeseen problem with this configuration) may cause some issues and am wondering if I'd be better off trying to figure out how to build a mega cabinet in which all 4 drivers and their ports can fit and share the same space.

Thank you
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

But individual cabinets. Small differences in size aren't going to make a significant difference.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• jtt
      • Feb 2006

Thanks Thomas.

Does anyone know if it's better to run the Crown K2 bridged @ 4 ohms or to run each channel @ 2 ohms?

Comment

• Mark Seaton
        • Aug 2001

You get the same power output and the amplifier sees the same load in both of your cases. If you can bridge it, then you can freely adjust the input attentuation/gain of the amp and not worrying that the channels are outputting the same level & signal.
        Mark Seaton
        "Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." - Daniel H. Burnham

Comment

• chasw98
          Super Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by jtt
          Thanks Thomas.

Does anyone know if it's better to run the Crown K2 bridged @ 4 ohms or to run each channel @ 2 ohms?
          If you run bridged, you will double the distortion and the S/N ratio compared to 2 individual channels. I run my amp as 2 channels and the gain controls wide open (that way no one can turn it up) and then use the pre amp or processor gain controls to adjust the level.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"