X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • A Reef Scene
    • Apr 2006

router bit choice

What is the name of the router bit used to make speakers flush mount?
  • dyazdani
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Oct 2005

You'll need a 1/4" solid carbide upcut bit and a straight bit (I use a 3/4"). The straight (flat bottom) bit is called different things at different retailers I think.

I bought mine at MLCS Woodworking - here's a link to the flat bit (they call it a plunge cutting straight bit).

I use the upcut bit to make the first (outer edge) cut - my Jasper jig is calibrated to a 1/4" bit so that is easy. I then rout a "trench" for the driver flange with the straight bit. Finally, cut through the inner circle with the upcut bit again. Obviously, you need to do the first two steps at the desired depth.
    Danish

Comment

• noah katz
      • Dec 2005

You can do it in one shot with a rabbeting bit it matches the amount of rebate you want
      ------------------------------
      Noah

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

The problem with using a rabbeting bits is that frequently they aren't sized properly for the drivers. So that means buying an assortment....

A larger diameter flat bit 1/2-3/4" combined with the Jasper jig provides the greatest flexibility. If you're only doing a few speakers a double cut bit with carbide inserts will work fine.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• opt-e
          • Nov 2004

What is the benefit of using the upcut bit to make the outer edge cut as opposed to just using the straight bit?

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

The benefit of using an upcut anywhere is that it pulls the cut wood out of the slot. And the Jasper jig is indexed to it, that makes it quick and easy to get an accurate outside diameter cut.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• opt-e
              • Nov 2004

Thanks Thomas!

Comment

• A Reef Scene
                • Apr 2006

Thanks for all the help

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"