X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • poneal
    • May 2024

"Aegis" 3.5 way Drivers in Box ***PIC***

This will be the last time that you will see these before I am done. Going to start measuring and modeling and listening over and over and over again. But you know what, it’s air conditioned inside so it will not be bad at all. As you can guess, I’m tired. For those who don’t know this is my dual RS225, MDM-55, and 27TAF/G “Aegis” 3.5 ways.

Also notice the bi-amp terminals. I have a tweeter to one and the mid to the other. I can take the bi-amp bar out and be able to easily measure each speaker. Also notice the wire hanging out the ports. Those are labeled to indicate which is top and which is bottom. This is the easiest way I’ve found to do it.

Overall, I think I did an outstanding job considering this was scrap wood from work. The wood had some nicks and rough spots in it but it was free and it adds that air of lore about it. Well some of you know what I mean. I have to be at a party of a local businessman’s house and drink up some of his $200 cognac--so later. I’m off to enjoy the evening.

Have a good one all, DIY YA!!!

Edit image changed to a hyperlink since the image (a collage of 7 pics) is 1.67megs
    Last edited by Guest; 17 April 2006, 14:18 Monday.
  • poneal

Thanks ThomasW

After posting, I noticed it took awhile to load. Not bad if you have DSL or Cable but at 56k that would bother me. Thanks, Paul

Comment

• cjd
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Dec 2004

Look nice!

Are you planning to play with wool felt any? Might help diffraction oss the edges.

Those 225's are superb drivers, I must say! Really like the 270's too. Ahh heck, all of 'em.

This project is going to be fun to watch.

C
      diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• poneal

Thanks for the compliment...

Yes, I'm going to email Dave Ralph and ask him a few questions on felt after I peruse his writeup on that topic. I'm thinking putting it all around the edges of the grill once I get it made. I'm thinking oval shape from top to the bottom of the bottom woofer leaving the bottom wood exposed.

I couldn't wait. After the party, I wired the woofers in parallel and ran an impedance check to see if I cut the ports right. Right at 25hz--Bingo--just what I wanted. Not much use, but the impedance ran about 4.2 ohms on both woofers. I also ran some low level music through them only and it was very clean. Voices sounded very clear and articulate. I think this is going to be a winner if I can manage to get the midrange integrated properly. The bass was an absolute killer. No boom just whoa nelly what the hell was that type of bass. Can you imagine this guy 6" from the back wall. So it seems as the box desing worked out--thank god. I've cut boxes wrong before and that sucks when you do everything manually.

Cheers, Paul

Comment

• cjd
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Dec 2004

The guys here have done some felt studies as well. Not sure which threads go into detail at this point. I was surprised (well, not really) how much difference just a strip on either side of the tweeter made on my big 3-ways.

C

Comment

• poneal

I think it worth my time to invest in some felt treatment just to see what it does do. Thanks, Paul

Comment

• cjd
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Dec 2004

Hit up a flooring shop and see if you can get some scrap felt left over from a floating floor install. Or a shop that might have scraps from gasket work.

C

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"