X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nathan P
    • Mar 2006

Xmax vs rated power

Okay, if a speaker is rated at 50W RMS, 75 Max, but doesn't exceed xmax when pushed at 100W crossed over at say 90hz, will it be able to handle it, or will it smoke the voice coil. I know it won't blow it out in the literal sense (Xmax exceeded), but will it smoke the coil even though it's not going over xmax?
  • derekbannatyne
    • Jan 2006

Why would you want to cross over at 90hz? I thought you were supposed to cross over at <80hz, since frequencies below 80hz aren't supposed to be able to be localized by human ears. If you're putting in 100w, the single driver isn't going to be using all that power, it will be shared by the other drivers as well.

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

The RMS rating is related to voice coil heating, don't exceed it.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Nathan P
        • Mar 2006

It is going into an MT design, so it won't be split up that much will it? I thought the tweeter didn't get as much?

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

You said "a speaker" I assumed that meant a single driver

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Brian Bunge
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2001

It's highly possible that his receiver has a fixed 90Hz crossover. I'd like to try 60Hz when I have the option. Until then, I believe my receiver is fixed at 80Hz.

Comment

• Nathan P
              • Mar 2006

Sorry Thomas, that was in response to Derek

Comment

• DarrenE
                • Mar 2006

Originally posted by derekbannatyne
                Why would you want to cross over at 90hz? I thought you were supposed to cross over at <80hz, since frequencies below 80hz aren't supposed to be able to be localized by human ears.
                Don't assume that an 80 Hz crossover is going to be best. You have to try it in your room to find out for sure. My Ascend 340's are very capable of being crossed over at 80 Hz but in my room sound MUCH better when crossed at 100 Hz. If the sub is up in the front stage and you carefully calibrate everything including having the sub EQ'd you may not have too much trouble with localizing a 100 Hz crossover.
                Last edited by DarrenE; 17 April 2006, 07:57 Monday.
                Darren

Comment

• BobEllis
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Dec 2005

OTOH, if you are asking the age old question, "Is it OK to drive my 50W speaker with a 100 W amp?" the answer is yes. As long as you keep to sane listening levels and don't do 100W sine wave testing, you'll be fine. Music's average power is signifcantly lower than its peak.

Comment

• Nathan P
                    • Mar 2006

Okay, that was my main question, as I wanted to hook my 50W rated speakers up to our ht reciever when they're done just to compare them to the PSBs we have.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"