X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nick77
    • Apr 2006

Anyone use Crown to power sub?

Hey I am thinking about a RLP15 in a sealed appliciation with a Crown amp XLS602. I believe its roughly 1500 watts at 2Ohms. Would this amp work and how loud are they? Thanks
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Yes it will work, you can save money by getting a Behringer EP1500 or 2500 instead.

You can model the anechoic output using your box design in Unibox

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• nick77
      • Apr 2006

It is second hand light use minor scratches for only $200 shipped. I think its a deal? Does the fan run all the time and do you guys just leave the power on? Do you know if i can switch out the fan for a panaflow? It only has XLR is that a problem? Thanks

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Don't know much at all about those amps, we always recommend the Behringer given it's lower retail price.

Look at the online owner's manual to find out about running it single ended.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• nick77
          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by ThomasW
          Don't know much at all about those amps, we always recommend the Behringer given it's lower retail price.

Look at the online owner's manual to find out about running it single ended.
          Single ended? Sorry noob here.

Comment

• dyazdani
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by nick77
            It only has XLR is that a problem?
            You can run them single-ended aka "unbalanced" you'll obviously have to make or buy a cable. Pins 1 and 3 go to ground/shield, Pin 2 goes to signal (+).

$200 sounds like a good deal, less than half of the street price - I bought an EP2500 new for just a little more. The fan can be slowed down by using a resistor, there is another thread around here that describes how.
            Danish

Comment

• dyazdani
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Oct 2005

Single ended? Sorry noob here.
              An explanation resides here.
              Danish

Comment

• nick77
                • Apr 2006

Its not as easy as buying an rca to xlr connect? Glad I am asking. Thanks

Comment

• dyazdani
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Oct 2005

Its not as easy as buying an rca to xlr connect? Glad I am asking. Thanks
                  Actually, that is exactly what you need, just need to make sure that the pins are like I said above. I believe that is the most common arrangement though.

The only difference is that the "outer" contact ("sleeve" maybe) on the RCA connector will be connected to BOTH the (-) signal (pin 1) and the ground (pin 3). The center pin will be connected to pin 2 on the XLR side.

You can also buy adaptors that look like an XLR termination but have an RCA jack on one side. It is cheaper to build a cable though. Doug (CAT Cables) could probably make you a very nice one quite resonably. Otherwise, you can buy the parts and wire and make your own.
                  Danish

Comment

• bobgpsr
                    • Feb 2006

Sometimes it is better to leave pin 1 & shield unconnected at the destination (pro amp) end. Possibly may help to avoid a ground loop.

Bob
                    Last edited by bobgpsr; 15 April 2006, 21:26 Saturday.

Comment

• chasw98
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by dyazdani
                      The only difference is that the "outer" contact ("sleeve" maybe) on the RCA connector will be connected to BOTH the (-) signal (pin 1) and the ground (pin 3). The center pin will be connected to pin 2 on the XLR side.
                      Not to nitpick, but pin 1 is shield and pin 3 is the "-" pin. I usually wire mine as center conductor "+" on the RCA to pin 2 on the XLR and shield "-" on the RCA to pin 3 on the XLR.

Comment

• whoaru99
                        • Jul 2004

$200 is not fabulous for the Crown, but it's not bad - i.e. worth it as long as it's not too beat up.

Lots of people using them for main amps and sub amps.

The fans do run all the time and from what I've heard they are fairly noisy. The mods run from eliminating the fan(s), to putting in a resistor, to replacing with a quieter fan.

Since you are talking 2 ohms, I'd say to refit a quieter fan of similar CFM and to be cautious about eliminating or slowing the stock fan.
                        There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• SteveCallas
                          • Aug 2005

As has been mentioned, Crown XLS doesn't have variable speed fans, and fan noise has been measured as ~72db at 1" - that's very loud. In addition, response is already down ~3db at 15hz - that may be low enough for your needs, but what does that say as to how it will be performing in the 15-25hz range? Damping factor seems kinda low too to be powering a 15" sub. I don't think these amps are suited too well for subs, better to leave them for speakers.

Comment

• dyazdani
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by chasw98
                            Not to nitpick, but pin 1 is shield and pin 3 is the "-" pin. I usually wire mine as center conductor "+" on the RCA to pin 2 on the XLR and shield "-" on the RCA to pin 3 on the XLR.
                            You are right, I looked at the wrong label on the diagram.
                            Danish

Comment

• nick77
                              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by SteveCallas
                              As has been mentioned, Crown XLS doesn't have variable speed fans, and fan noise has been measured as ~72db at 1" - that's very loud. In addition, response is already down ~3db at 15hz - that may be low enough for your needs, but what does that say as to how it will be performing in the 15-25hz range? Damping factor seems kinda low too to be powering a 15" sub. I don't think these amps are suited too well for subs, better to leave them for speakers.
                              So I need to look for a high end plate or the Behringer 1500 for the 15"? Is there a reason alot of people use the 2500? Does it have better output down low or something?

Comment

• ThomasW
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

They use the 2500 because it's BIG power for $300.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• dyazdani
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Oct 2005

Originally posted by ThomasW
                                  They use the 2500 because it's BIG power for $300.
                                  That's basically my take on it... the 2500 is only about $50 more, so why not?

If you only plan on one sub, you could bridge the 1500 and have a bunch of power. I'm possibly going to use my 2500 for two subs, so I wanted more Wpc just in case.
                                  Danish

Comment

• SteveCallas
                                    • Aug 2005

It also has variable speed fans and seems to be a little better suited for lower frequencies.

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"