X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BretH
    • Feb 2006

First DIY project - What I learned

Finished my Dayton Home Theatres today.

Since this was my first real attempt at DIY speakers I thought I'd share some of what I have learned:

1) It's good to try a less-critical project before attempting a larger one. These speakers are my computer speakers, and I already had the drivers that I had put into some ugly boxes I had built from shelf material with a generic crossover. I figured I had nothing to lose from repackaging them in nice cabinets with a real crossover. (The speaker project writeup is here: http://www.partsexpress.com/projects...dht/index.html)

2) Nice speakers can be assembled without a table saw, planer, etc. I used a sawboard and a circular saw and got accurate enough cuts for a not-critical project. I did buy a router for the job and I think that it was well worth it for the quality of finish it makes possible.

3) When figuring costs, don't forget to factor in tools like my router and bits (although once purchased of course it is available for other projects like the larger speakers I am going to tackle next.) Also figure in veneer, glue, foam or fluff, sandpaper, steel wool, and whatever finishing product you cloose.

4) Flush-trim router bits are your friends.

5) Tung Oil is an easy, fast and almost foolproof way to get a great finish, at least on the light Ash veneer I chose.

6) For adhering veneer, Titebond and an iron works quite well, and is great for a first-timer in a house without an exterior workshop. Keep a good eye on seams in your veneer, although they show up far more in photos than in real life.

7) Once you have put all the work into the project you may well wish that you had sprung for nicer drivers. Unless you have a home shop and lots of time, building and finishing the cabinets takes up a disproportionate amount of time and effort - so that the extra $10 or $20 per driver really may be worth it. Mind you, I am perfectly satisfied with what I have, and since I already owned the drivers it would have been a shame to waste them, but if I were really serious about getting the best product I would have planned for something more high-end from the start.

8) This forum is a wonderful place, with so many helpful and knowlegeable folks with great attitudes. Thanks to all who answered any direct questions I had and to those whose posts kept me from having to ask more questions.

9) This is addicting!
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Congratuations, nice looking cabinets, and glad you're enjoying the forum! :T
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Nathan P
      • Mar 2006

looks great, I bet they can beat the pants of any reasonably priced computer speakers out there.

Comment

• Paul H
        • Feb 2004

Originally posted by BretH

... 7) Once you have put all the work into the project you may well wish that you had sprung for nicer drivers. Unless you have a home shop and lots of time, building and finishing the cabinets takes up a disproportionate amount of time and effort - so that the extra $10 or $20 per driver really may be worth it. ...

I very much agree, actually even if you do have a home shop.

Paul

Comment

• wrz0170
          • Jan 2006

Bret, good first outing! :T They really look sharp. #4 I learned really quick. The flush trim bit is indeed your friend.

Comment

• cotdt
            • Oct 2005

good work! how's the sound?

Comment

• chasw98
              Super Senior Member
              • Jan 2006

Beautiful enclosures. They look great!

Comment

• BretH
                • Feb 2006

Thanks all, for the compliments. They sound pretty good, but I'll have to hold a real comparison until I build the project these were a warm-up for - MTs with the RS150 & 27TDFC.

I will say they sounded a bit harsh when played even a bit loud until I realized that the T-Amp I was running them with probably doesn't have the guts to push these even to moderate levels without strain. I hooked back up the old Nikko receiver I had been using and they sounded MUCH better. I'd have to say for now that they sound a bit bright, but we'll see once I can really compare them to something else.

For now, at the risk of sounding smug, they bring a smile to my face just looking at them as I am working on the computer .

Comment

• Paul H
                  • Feb 2004

Originally posted by BretH
                  .... For now, at the risk of sounding smug, they bring a smile to my face just looking at them as I am working on the computer .

Don't worry about sounding smug - we understand Nice work on those :T

Paul

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"