X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dyazdani
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Oct 2005

Sander Question

I am trying to finish up the work on my sub cabinet. I'm getting pretty close on the Bondo stage, but I need to sand everything smooth.

What type of sander is recommended? I included two examples of my current choices.

One like this with a round pad...

or one with a rectangualr pad...either 1/4 or 1/2 sheet

Thanks!
    Danish
  • poneal

Random Orbital sander is the way to go IMHO. I would look into porter cable, dewalt, and some higher end sanders if you plan on keeping it for many years. If you just use it a few times a year then the sears model will probably be fine. I have noticed that the quality sanders actually sand smoother than the el-cheapo orbital sanders. The el-cheapo ones leave marks whereas the better quality ones don't.

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Fully agree with Paul. Have had the best luck with a small Bosch, though if you're on more of a budget, Ryobi makes a nice small one too. For speaker projects, the square pad ones are more usefull, IMO.

~Jon
      the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Round pads are more expensive in the long run since you have to buy special sheets.

The 1/4 sheet rectangular ones (I have a Makita) work fine for smaller and detail work. They're cheap feed since you can buy large sheets of paper and cut them.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• dyazdani
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by ThomasW
          The 1/4 sheet rectangular ones (I have a Makita) work fine for smaller and detail work. They're cheap feed since you can buy large sheets of paper and cut them.
          That's what I was thinking as well... now if I can find one. I may have to make a special trip, we only have a Sears and Walmart here. The local hardware store probably has one, but for 50% higher price.

Thanks for the help, guys.
          Danish

Comment

• PMazz
            • May 2001

For flat sanding, a belt sander is best. Of the 2 you show, the random orbit sander is much more efficient at removing material. Either one really isn't a flat sander tho each will do a good job of smoothing. For small amounts of flat sanding I make sanding blocks ~4" x 8" and use the 3M stik-it rolls that come 4 1/2" wide x 10 yards long. 80 grit makes for quick leveling on edges. After that a smoothing sander can be used effectively.

Pete
            Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

I inherited a weird wooden sanding block from my stepfather. It's spring loaded, flat on one side, curved on the other. It uses standard 3" belt sander belts. I use it more than any powered sander in the shop.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• dyazdani
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Oct 2005

Originally posted by PMazz
                For flat sanding, a belt sander is best. Of the 2 you show, the random orbit sander is much more efficient at removing material. Either one really isn't a flat sander tho each will do a good job of smoothing. For small amounts of flat sanding I make sanding blocks ~4" x 8" and use the 3M stik-it rolls that come 4 1/2" wide x 10 yards long. 80 grit makes for quick leveling on edges. After that a smoothing sander can be used effectively.

Pete
                I just need something to smooth out the joints on cabinets. I'd like to get something that is sort of multipurpose, just in case I need it for something else.

I can only "afford" one sander if you know what I mean... :roll:
                Danish

Comment

• RobP
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Nov 2004

The cheapest and best way is a long sanding block like you would use in automotive bodywork. I have both orbital and a air powered DA sander, and i always seem to go back to the hand sanding for finishing.
                  Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• heebee-jeebee
                    • Dec 2005

yeah, a block will get you a smooth joint, because it will remove the high material, and leave the low. a 1/4 sheet will flex enough that it takes longer, and it will usually develope a low spot where the joint is, if you arent careful. start with a decent 80 or 100 grit, and work you way up to about a 220 or 250. anything much higher than this will clog real easy and be a PITA to work with. i use a ryobi 1/4 sheet and buy drywall sandpaper and cut them in half.

chris

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by dyazdani
                      I am trying to finish up the work on my sub cabinet. I'm getting pretty close on the Bondo stage, but I need to sand everything smooth.

What type of sander is recommended? I included two examples of my current choices.

One like this with a round pad...

or one with a rectangualr pad...either 1/4 or 1/2 sheet

Thanks!
                      The 1/4 sheet Craftsman sander in the picture looks nearly identical to the Rigid sander I bought from Home Depot which replaced a Porter Cable that I really didn't like. I still have it and it works fine but sits in it's case. I did a little research before purchasing the Rigid and found that it was one of the more highly rated sanders. Dust collection is excellent and it walks through sanding jobs with ease. Ultra smooth results too. I paid $40.

My $.02 worth....

Jim

Comment

• dyazdani
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Oct 2005

Our local hardware store has a DeWalt 1/4 sheet for $55 and and Makita for $50. I'll make a run by Sears later and see what they have - the other half may frown on another $60 tool purchase.
                        Danish

Comment

• ---k---
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Nov 2005

Just think of something that you can build for her with your new tools, and it will all be good.
                          - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                          CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                          CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• dyazdani
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by ---k---
                            Just think of something that you can build for her with your new tools, and it will all be good.
                            Trust, me - that's always on my mind. She wants a rope swing, so I guess I'll build that - shouldn't take 30 minutes. She did find plans for a bench swing, it didn't look very difficult at all.
                            Danish

Comment

• poneal

Originally posted by ThomasW
                              I inherited a weird wooden sanding block from my stepfather. It's spring loaded, flat on one side, curved on the other. It uses standard 3" belt sander belts. I use it more than any powered sander in the shop.
                              Definitely agree there. I have a hand sanding block that gets used a lot. I do all my finish sanding with a block.

Comment

• dyazdani
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Oct 2005

This is the one they have:

Danish

Comment

• engr_dave
                                  • Dec 2005

I agree with Pete. A belt sander is a great tool. It will remove large amounts of material quickly when needed (with a coarse belt) but can also do fairly fine sanding with a 120+ belt. I've gotten so comfortable with my little 3x21 Craftsman that I can safely sand paper-backed veneers with it.

Comment

• RobP
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Nov 2004

Just a little tip for you Danish on the final sanding, to make sure your bodywork is flat spray a guide coat of black paint on the areas that you are working on, just lightly spray the area with one pass and let it dry, you can then block sand and the paint will show you your high and low spots.
                                    Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• dyazdani
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Oct 2005

Got stuck late at work :M

Made it to Sears 5 min before closing, they didn't have much - just a cheap $25 model.

Looks like I'll be going back to the other store for the DeWalt.
                                      Danish

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"