X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MarkR
    • Jan 2005

Bass Bin vs Subwoofer

Can someone please tell me, what is the difference between a bass bin and a sub?
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

When I use that expression, I'm referring to a drive cabinet designed to cover a range from ~200Hz or higher on down, LF cutoff arbitrary, but usually designed more around music requirements than home theater.

Most subwoofers do not have the driver characteristics to be used above 100 Hz, due to a combination of rising voice coil inductance causing inductivity modulation and higher distortion just where the distortion should be dropping, and often due to cone issues. The Le of most sub drives actually causes their frequency response to start rolling off above 70-75 Hz, and they may require equalization to play high enough for a 100 Hz crossover.

Drivers like the RS315HF straddle that boundary, having both extended travel and good upper range response.

For an example of an outstanding 12" driver for a "bass bin", look at the Aurasound NS12-513.

the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

A bass bin contains woofers not subwoofers, and is used to augment the main speakers.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• MarkR
        • Jan 2005

Mmmm, so it seems there might be a bit of a grey area at which point a bass bin becomes a sub. I kind of had an idea this was the case but sometimes I do need things spelled out for me. :roll:

I am happy with the bass from my MTM's for 2ch music BTW but I have designed the internal bracing in the towers so they can be used to seal them of as 3/4 boxes for future integration with a sub.

Given the prohibitive shipping cost's for me I will probably go with a 12" XLS Peerless (which I will still have to source from Australia). I have found a local shop that sells Behringer products (CX2310 NZ$300 8O ).

But this is all a little way of as I have parts on order to build one of Chris's RS150 MTM for use as a centre channel.

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

One can certainly build stereo subs and place them under the mains. Subs vs bass bins is basically dependant on the choice of the drivers. Don't use a driver designed for a sub if you want a higher XO point.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"