X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • frazzled
    • Apr 2006

Modula MTM or Eros

Well, I wanted to build a tower speaker. Which would you suggest, the Eros or Modula MTM in a tower design. This is my first time to this site but I've heard good things about the Modula. Is there an easy to follow plan for this in tower form without searching through a hundred messages? I'm pretty new at this so I would need easy to follow instructions. <--I'm good at working but bad at electronics. Oh I have a Rxv-1400 receiver and have a 15" sealed DIY Dayton Sub. I posted this on another site so I'm sorry If I'm boring anyone Budget is $500.00 or lower not including wood.
    Thanks!!!
  • wrz0170
    • Jan 2006

Hey there,

Not to muddle your field of choices, but for $500, you can make yourself a killer pair of towers.

I know it's lot of reading, but try to key in on the tower version. When you had enough reading let me know and I can get all the plans, schematics, etc to ya.

Just finished the center mentioned on this thread, waiting to get it painted and will start in on the towers soon.

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

The Modula MTM is a more sophisticated speaker than the Eros. The Modula will be more revealing and detailed. Might not have quite as much bass but that's not an issue with a sub.

All the info needed to build it is in the first post. Several people have built them as towers.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• frazzled
        • Apr 2006

Modula MTM

After going through the posts (fairly quickly) I couldn't find any ideal measurements for a tower version. I really don't have a size restriction because it's going into the "man room."
        These would be set out from the wall about 3 feet with a heavy curtain behind them in a mid-sized room.
        With my limited knowledge on speakerbuilding, I don't quite understand a lot that is posted.
        Thanks for the help!

Comment

• JoshK
          • Mar 2005

You want to keep the baffle width the same as the stand mount and just change the height so that the internal volume is 50L. Down firing port.

Comment

• frazzled
            • Apr 2006

Down firing port

Originally posted by JoshK
            You want to keep the baffle width the same as the stand mount and just change the height so that the internal volume is 50L. Down firing port.
            Thanks Josh. What advantage is there to a down firing port?

Comment

• frazzled
              • Apr 2006

sealed or ported

Originally posted by wrz0170
              Just finished the center mentioned on this thread, waiting to get it painted and will start in on the towers soon.
              It looks like a lot of people like the sealed version. Which will you build? When it came to subs, I liked my current sealed version a lot better than the ported Hsu VTF-2 I had before. I'm not sure if it's a fair comparision though.

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

What advantage is there to a down firing port?
                No performance advantage. It makes it easier to put a longer port in a narrow tall box.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• JonMarsh
                  Mad Max Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

Actaully, there is some advanatage, both due to boundary loading and the fact the cabinet acts somewhat differently- it's akin to Martin King's TQWT TL concept, which is ported. That's why the M8ta is built that way.
                  the AudioWorx
                  Natalie P
                  M8ta
                  Modula Neo DCC
                  Modula MT XE
                  Modula Xtreme
                  Isiris
                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                  Minerva Monitor
                  Calliope
                  Ardent D

In Development...
                  Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                  Obi-Wan
                  Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                  Modula PWB
                  Calliope CC Supreme
                  Natalie P Ultra
                  Natalie P Supreme
                  Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                  Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• ThomasW
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Right, that's if people understand the design principles involved and implement them....:wink:

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• frazzled
                      • Apr 2006

Down firing port

Originally posted by ThomasW
                      Right, that's if people understand the design principles involved and implement them....:wink:
                      8O AND, that wouldn't be me!

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"