X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JoshK
    • Mar 2005

"Bass Bin" idea

I had an idea (uh oh) for a bass bin for the Modula MTM (or conceivably the Nat P). In my case, I am using them for my HT mains and eventually they will be augmented with the dual Avalanche 15s I have, once they get built. However, I think that filling out the bottom end a tad even when I mean to augment their bass with subs isn't a bad thing. So I was thinking...

What if one were to build a box that was a stand for the MTM like most bass bins but keeping the narrow nice profile of the MTM. Put two RS180's in a box with the same horizontal cross section as the MTM and tall enough to be a stand, ported out the bottom and stuff the port of the MTM. I know this won't give you a whole lot more bass simple because of the limited displacement, but I was thinking it might have some benefits.

If the additional 2 RS180s were wired as .5's as in a 2.5 way then maybe the baffle step wouldn't be needed (not sure, but seems like it could work out). This might raise the system sensitivity a bit, yeah? Fill in the midbass some more in the process. It also keeps the wife-friendly slim profile.

Thoughts?
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Thoughts?
    As you've noted 6" drivers don't a bass bin make unless you plan on using 4 or more per side.

Side firing 10"-12" make more sense to me

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• JoshK
      • Mar 2005

Well it would be more midbass than none at all.

I've just never really cared much for the couple of side firing setups I have heard. In my room, my side walls are >8ft from the speakers, and in one case non-existant, so the bass wouldn't be reflected back in very efficiently. I could point them in instead but that might create its own problems.

I could try for 4 RS180s, but I am not sure they would have the appropriate volume in that case.

Comment

• Brian Bunge
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2001

Originally posted by JoshK
        Well it would be more midbass than none at all.

I've just never really cared much for the couple of side firing setups I have heard. In my room, my side walls are >8ft from the speakers, and in one case non-existant, so the bass wouldn't be reflected back in very efficiently.
        This seems like an even better reason. My future father in law has powered towers with side firing subs. Unfortunately, the right one is within 2' of the corner and the boundary gain is so great it's almost impossible to balance the sound out in the room. I had to turn the gain down all the way on the amp on that speaker to get any kind of balance.

Comment

• JoshK
          • Mar 2005

Thanks for the responses, guys. I'll take it into consideration. Of course, I am not going to persue this project for a little while, not at least until I've built the Arvo's. But I am always planning ahead.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"