This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rolyasm
    • Dec 2004

I hope I don't get in trouble for asking another dumb question. I am purchasing the ECM-8000 to use with an M-AudioMobile. My question is about the calibration. Is the mic good enough to use straight from Behringer, or do I need to get it calibrated like many here have talked about? I am not an audiophile, but I do want to get the best sound for a reasonable price and plan on learning a lot over the next few months with calibration. The local store clerk thought I was an idiot for asking about the calibration. He told me I was absurd for thinking of caibrating a mic that was sent with a flat response already calibrated. Thanks.
    Roly

Comment

• Rolyasm
      • Dec 2004

By the way, nice setup Ergo. Maybe you should market that device. What was the cost on it?
      Roly

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Rolyasm
        By the way, nice setup Ergo. Maybe you should market that device. What was the cost on it?
        Roly
        There's a link to the retail product in his post.

I am purchasing the ECM-8000 to use with an M-AudioMobile. My question is about the calibration. Is the mic good enough to use straight from Behringer, or do I need to get it calibrated like many here have talked about? I am not an audiophile, but I do want to get the best sound for a reasonable price and plan on learning a lot over the next few months with calibration. The local store clerk thought I was an idiot for asking about the calibration. He told me I was absurd for thinking of caibrating a mic that was sent with a flat response already calibrated
        The clerk is the idiot....only very expensive mics are shipped with a .cal file.

There are generic cal files for the ECM-8000 many places on the net. Yes it's a good idea to use one. Here's a link to the one I use Or you can pay $40 to get your mic calibrated and have your own a custom cal file.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• ergo
          • Mar 2005

I have been using a "EMM-8 cal" mic from

It comes with calibration data 10Hz - 20kHz and for 65EUR. I consider it a very good value for money especially DIY-ers in Europe.

So this is not much more expensive than the Behringer uncalibrated mic....

Ergo

PS. Rolyasm, at some point I plan to actually calculate how much it was and if I can get some small changes done on PCB-s that would make them better to assemble I will post the full project data. At the moment - no time - moved in to a new house and even the listening room is yet to be built.

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

So this is not much more expensive than the Behringer uncalibrated mic....
            With shipping to the US it would be almost exactly the cost of the Behringer with Kim Girardin calibration file.
            The ECM-8000 or it cheaper twin the Nady CM-100 are inherently so flat a generic cal file is all most people will ever need.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Rolyasm
              • Dec 2004

Wow, did I just get lucky. I went to Bukoos, a local place, and they had 2 M-Audio MobilePres on clearance. I picked mine up for $85.00. Opt-e, if you want I will get the other for you and ship it to you, no cost. Everyone on this forum has helped me a great deal and it would be nice to give something back. I would send you the receipt as well, just in case you don't trust me. hehe. Or if you know of anyone else that could use it, please let me know. List price was 139.00 and it was 40% off that. I asked about their return policy and they said if it doesn't work, bring it back. I would only charge you for shipping and if you wanted I would open it and plug it in to make sure it works to avoid shipping if DOA for some reason. Or I would leave it sealed. Let me know. Should I post this somewhere else?
              Roly

Comment

• FlashJim
                • Apr 2006

Nice find, Roly.
                Jim

Comment

• opt-e
                  • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Rolyasm
                  Wow, did I just get lucky. I went to Bukoos, a local place, and they had 2 M-Audio MobilePres on clearance. I picked mine up for $85.00. Opt-e, if you want I will get the other for you and ship it to you, no cost.
                  Wow, I appreciate the generous offer! :T I already have a soundcard though and all I really need is the mic pre-amp and phantom power which I'll be able to get for less than $85 even at regular price. I'm sure someone else here will be glad snap it up though! :B

Comment

• Rolyasm
                    • Dec 2004

Sure thing. Also, they have a BLUE mic cable, retail $40.00, but 40% off. Are cables worth spending x-tra cash on for sub calibration applications? I see PE has them for $10.00.
                    Roly

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"