X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kgveteran
    • Oct 2005

XO schematics

I've noticed that some schematics are all inclusive, meaning the hipass/lowpass/bandpass are on the same plan.

Some are separated.

Can I take a schematic that is all together and divide it up so the hipass is on one board,the bandpass is on one board and the lopass is on another.

Is a XO ever designed to be a unifided filter or all together for another reason.
    Here is my LCR "Trio". Way to go guys !
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Which one do you want to split?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• cjd
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Dec 2004

Originally posted by kgveteran

Is a XO ever designed to be a unifided filter or all together for another reason.
      A series crossover should be split with care, if it is split at all. So, Modula MT is such.

A parallel XO can be split with no trouble.
      diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• kgveteran
        • Oct 2005

Here is the XO design http://home.stx.rr.com/poneal/pdfs/RS150RS28.pdf

I wanted to use separate binding posts for the midwoofer and tweeter.

Comment

• cjd
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Dec 2004

You can split that one. Some interesting choices made in his design now that I look more closely at it.

C

Comment

• kgveteran
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by cjd
            You can split that one. Some interesting choices made in his design now that I look more closely at it.

C
            And those choices that are interesting are..............

Comment

• cjd
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Dec 2004

Tweeter response looks to be shaped at the top end - not something I think sounds as good, probably because it pushes the higher frequency breakup up in dB (though I am not entirely sure that's what I dislike about it). At any rate, it takes a metal tweet I find smooth and turns it into the metal tweeter sound I don't like. But, I seem to be unusually sensitive to this issue (I don't care for the excellent Seas 27TBFC for example)

I haven't looked at the transfer function but it looks steeper than this driver pair needs too.

Should sound good, I'm just being picky. You know, the "Well, I would do it differently" and since I DO my own, I can get away with that. :P

C

Comment

• poneal

Originally posted by kgveteran
                Here is the XO design http://home.stx.rr.com/poneal/pdfs/RS150RS28.pdf

I wanted to use separate binding posts for the midwoofer and tweeter.
                Yes, you can break it into two. You can buy one of those bi-amp speaker terminals and connect the tweeter to one and the woofer to the other. Those are really nice for measuring because you just take out the little bar that merges the terminals together and then you just connect the speaker wire to the one you want to measure. When your done, put back the metal bar back and your set. This also allows you to put one circuit on the bottom of the box and the other one on the top of the box.

As far as the notch filter on the tweeter goes, it bumps up the response where the RS28 starts to dip. You can try it with or without it IIRC. When I get home I'll model it without to see if the phase is still aligned. It's really more of a personal preference than anything else as my hearing really doesn't go that high. Cheers, Paul

Comment

• kgveteran
                  • Oct 2005

IIRC ? ops:

Comment

• ThomasW
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

One can find virtually anything using google. For example....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• kgveteran
                      • Oct 2005

If I recall correctly I thought it was a technical term ops: .Ya gotta love it.

Comment

• cjd
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Dec 2004

Paul - I think it would be good to have both versions in your writeup.

C

Comment

• poneal

Good idea cjd

When I model that this evening I will update my writeup. Thanks, Paul

Comment

• Marzen
                            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by cjd
                            I haven't looked at the transfer function but it looks steeper than this driver pair needs too.
                            C
                            Could you expound on this some? I've been heading down this same path using Jon's elliptical topology to severely attenuate the out of band freqs. Should I be concerned with anything beyond summing flat & phase response?
                            Ward
                            What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?

Comment

• cjd
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Dec 2004

You can always, I think, go steeper than needed without much risk (though at this oint I can't say how the sound might change).

It does, however, add cost and complexity and more parts in the signal path. For thid driver combo, there is plenty of overlap where both play happily with the selection of a lower crossover point.

Regardless, this is again a personal choice for the designer and not something "wrong" by any means. More a discussion of philosophy.

I think my problem is I come across as criticizing a lot when I am merely thinking out loud, so to speak.

C

Comment

• Marzen
                                • Jul 2005

Originally posted by cjd
                                You can always, I think, go steeper than needed without much risk (though at this oint I can't say how the sound might change).
                                I'm beginning to recognize the advantage I have with Sound Easy's filter emulator. I've only recently been playing with that feature using an old Boston Accoustic 2 way for testing simulated xo's.

Originally posted by cjd
                                Regardless, this is again a personal choice for the designer and not something "wrong" by any means. More a discussion of philosophy.
                                I think my problem is I come across as criticizing a lot when I am merely thinking out loud, so to speak.
                                Understood. I didn't take this or any of your comments personally. I have rough mental notes on most everyones personal tastes & temper their responses in comparison with those; but I'm always curious as to why they lean in a particular direction. As with your dislike of the 27TBFC for example which you've explained. Once I've figured out what I 'really' like and 'really' don't like, then I'll know who has similar tastes as myself.
                                Thanks -
                                Ward
                                What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"