What effect does a baseplate have on a downfiring driver?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bent
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2003

What effect does a baseplate have on a downfiring driver?

Most of you here know what I have planned for my next HT subwoofer, and a few have already beaten me to it...

I have a pair of Soundsplinter RL-p 15's (dual 4 ohm version), and a Adire ADA 1200 plate amp, I'm about to start building a new sub to replace my AS-15 klone (another DIY sub I built 1.5 years ago). This new one will be a sealed design though.

I want to have the two drivers firing downwards from a 22"x22"x46" outer dimension enclosure (mdf is doubled up 3/4 inch, and is already cut - including most braces).

I know I'll likely need to create a base plate for this subwoofer, as it just might "walk" on me, being a downfiring design. What are the tuning effects of a base plate ala SVS's box subs?
    (without knowing why, I'd think it would raise system Q, but I may be talking outa my hat...).
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

The effects depend on the size of the 'slot' (opening).

When optimized for a sealed system, slot loading reduces distortion by equalizing inward/outward resistance on the cone. This results in more linear performance (lower distortion).

In addition the slot functions as a mechanical low pass filter, augmenting the effects of the crossover.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• noah katz
      • Dec 2005

Seems to me a baseplate would just make it easier for the box to "hydroplane".
      ------------------------------
      Noah

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Having a baseplate keeps the sub from 'walking', if that's what you're referring to when you say 'hydroplane'

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"