X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ilkka
    • Mar 2006

Preliminary IMD measurements for subwoofers

There has been a lot of discussion about intermodulation distortion (IMD) over various Internet discussion boards, and since very few IMD measurements have been done for any subwoofer, most of the discussion has been basically guessing and making overly generous assumptions related to linear excursion of the woofer etc. I'm not a fan of assumptions, I'm more facts and measurements type of guy. I and Ed Mullen have been working around this IMD subject for a quite some time now and have been trying to find some common ground concerning many different questions relating its measurement and calculation. We are not sure yet whether to include this new test into the already quite wide battery of tests we take.

Theorizing can only go so far, but to get further we need some measurements and actual data so that we can see if our theories and hypothesis were correct. Since we still have a quite thick layer of snow here in Finland, I had to do my testings indoors, but that don't necessarily mean unrealiable results, especially when one is only comparing two different systems and knows the limitations of such way.

Hypothesis: Subwoofers with high excursion woofers suffer from higher levels of IMD than subwoofers with lower excursion woofers.

There has been also discussion about the relevance of the weight of the cone, weight of the amplifier and some other variables. In order to prove or disprove our hypothesis, we need two subwoofers, other equipped with a high excursion woofer, heavy cone and light amp and another equipped with not so high excursion woofer, lighter cone and heavier amp. I haven't actually measured a single one of these parameters, they are just assumptions based on some highly educated guesses made by several self-educated members of the AV community. And the test products are...Axiom EP-600 and SVS PB12-Ultra. If someone doesn't know if by now, Axiom is the one with a heavier amp.

In order to exclude the effects of room, one has to go as close to a subwoofer as possible. But not too close, because as we all know, SPL rises 6 dB everytime we half our measuring distance (if there is no reflective field, so it doesn't apply 100% when indoors), and because my microphone is only good up to 120 dB. My own hypothesis was that there is not much IMD at low sound pressure levels, so I needed to use as high levels as possible. After making some frequency response measurements with both subs, I decided to use 4" measurement distance. Using that distance FR curves were as close to each other as possible and there was still a good amount of distance for that high excursion driver to move before hitting the tip of mic. More info about my gear and how I calibrate them can be found from here.

Intermodulation distortion: Nonlinear distortion characterized by the appearance, in the output of a device, of frequencies that are linear combinations of the fundamental frequencies and all harmonics present in the input signals. Note: Harmonic components themselves are not usually considered to characterize intermodulation distortion. When the harmonics are included as part of the distortion, a statement to that effect should be made.

When we measure total harmonic distortion, we use only one fundamental frequency at a time. Already then there are some amounts of IMD present, because the fundamental and the numerous harmonics interfere with each other, but that is not the correct way to produce IMD. In order to produce measurable levels of IMD, we need to use two fundamentals at different frequencies. There are some stardard frequencies for measuring for example IMD of an amplifier (for example 19 kHz and 20 kHz), but there are no standards for subwoofers. In the discussions with Ed Mullen, we decided to use fundamentals at 30 Hz and 70 Hz frequencies. At the moment we use only one pair of frequencies, but it is possible that we use more in the future. There are numerous reasons why spesifically these two were chosen, but that discussion will happen another time. The frequencies of the two-tone intermodulation products can be computed by the equation:

M f1 ± N f2, where M, N = 0, 1, 2, 3, ...

The order of the distortion product is given by the sum of M + N. The second order intermodulation products of two signals at f1 and f2 would occur at f1 + f2, f2 – f1, 2f1 and 2f2. We decided to calculate IM components up to 6th order, because that means the highest frequency of measured IM component is already as high as 380 Hz and the amplitude of components above that frequency is so small, it won't affect on total IMD value. As it was said before, harmonic components aren't usually included as a part of IMD, so we had to exclude every matching IM and harmonic component. Here is a screenshot of the IMD spreadsheet I used to calculate the results to be shown later in this thread. The needed equations can be found from the Internet, so you can make your own if you like. Although it needs some research and hard work, so no, unfortunately I won't share that spreadsheet. That is a proprietary Rissanen/Mullen spreadsheet.

In order to measure the IMD for these two subwoofers, I removed the base plate from the Ultra and placed both subs on the floor of my room (one at a time of course), so that the cones were exactly at the same place and the distance to the microphone was 4" from the level of upper surrounds (During this operation, I noticed that taking off the base plate actually changes the tuning frequency of the subwoofer just a little bit. With the base plate on, Fb of the Ultra was around 21 Hz and around 21.8 Hz sans base plate (20 Hz native tuning frequency i.e. without any port plugs). This could be one explanation for some people reporting differenced after tilting the subwoofer on its side and removing the base plate. Higher tuning frequency changes the FR profile just a bit, which can be heard as an added emphasis in the mid bass range.) I measured also the tuning frequency for the EP-600, and it was exactly the same ~21.8 Hz as for Ultra sans base plate. These measurements were done using a 1" distance. The frequency responses at 4" won't be similar, even with identical tuning frequencies, because Axiom has its vent right next to its woofer, when SVS' vents are located on another side of the subwoofer. Used 30 Hz and 70 Hz fundamentals are therefore good, because neither one of them matches with the tuning frequency of these subwoofers. That means the place of the vent doesn't cause a large difference/error here.

Here are the measured frequency responses using 4" distance. Naturally SVS has still a dip at Fb and Axiom will roll off sharply below 20 Hz and above 100 Hz due its almost brickwall filters, which can not be bypassed. But still the FRs are within +/-1 dB in 30-100 Hz range, which is really good.

I tested both subwoofers for IMD and THD (calculated for both 30 Hz and 70 Hz fundamentals) using three sound pressure levels: 110 dB, 115 dB and 120 dB. Both subwoofers could have gone even higher, but unfortunately my microphone started to clip at higher levels, so I couldn't measure them. There won't be this problem outdoors, when one can use 2 m distance. The output spectrum for each subwoofer and level was recorded and evaluated with S/T SpectraPro, and later manually calculated using the showed spreadsheet. Also the THD was calculated manually using a spreadsheet of its own. Output for each frequency pair were first calibrated at 100 dB level and then rised respectively. Axiom suffered from around 0.5-1 dB of compression at 120 dB test level, so adding input level by same amount was needed. SVS didn't exhibit from compression at used test levels. Since the maximum IMD and THD levels were around 10%, the total SPL (total power) showed by Spectra is basically only the output of two fundamentals at 30 Hz and 70 Hz. The relative levels of two fundamentals weren't adjusted, although they were naturally affected by the FR profile of each subwoofer (also by compression if there was some).

Next series of graphs and tables show the IMD and THD levels for both subwoofers at three different levels. I also calculated the sum of IMD and THD, which naturally can not be done by a simple plus operation, but using the (a^2+b^2)^0.5 formula instead.

Here are the IMD spectrums at 115 dB SPL for both subs. You can self calculate the IMD and THD levels, if you have the needed formulas/spreadsheets.

Previous spectrums overlaid (only a link due large size of the graph).

Conclusion: High excursion woofers don't seem to suffer from excessive IMD. It can be also seen that IMD isn't a large problem with either subwoofer, combined THD levels are higher at every tested SPL. Also it seems that THD and IMD are quite strongly connected to each other. Subwoofer with a high THD levels will MOST LIKELY suffer from high IMD levels as well. Naturally much more subwoofers must be still tested, but I won't believe things would turn upside down.

The next question will naturally be, do we even have to measure IMD levels or does THD tell us the same information? Does measuring IMD add something we already don't know by measuring THD?

-Ilkka Rissanen

PS. I posted this first on AVS, but David Bott deleted it right away and then banned me. The reason was: Marketing on the site is not welcome and we believe that is why you are now here. Your account is now closed.

Yeah, thanks for nothing. ;s@
    Last edited by Ilkka; 05 April 2006, 01:28 Wednesday.
  • SteveCallas
    • Aug 2005

Interesting results, though not unexpected. You seemingly went to a lot of work, so I would probably test a few more subwoofers before stating:

Conclusion: Using a high excursion woofers doesn't add any excessive IMD. In fact it seems to REDUCE it instead
    This may very well be the case, but I'd test a few more before reaching a firm conclusion.

Comment

• Ilkka
      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by SteveCallas
      Interesting results, though not unexpected. You seemingly went to a lot of work, so I would probably test a few more subwoofers before stating:

This may very well be the case, but I'd test a few more before reaching a firm conclusion.
      Yeah, that is true. That's why it wasn't a FIRM conclusion.

We know more after my 3rd round of subwoofer tests around early May. Very nice list of subwoofers lined up for testing already.

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Interesting, certainly doesn't look like marketing to me. And I like seeing this stuff.... :T

I noticed that taking off the base plate actually changes the tuning frequency of a subwoofer just a little bit.
        Right, prior to the formation of SVS, TV posted on HTF that he was loading the woofer to the base plate, but declined to go into specifics. Anyone that knows anything about this concept understands his using it to boost the output.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• bobgpsr
          • Feb 2006

Very nice and very interesting work Ilkka. Thanks! You have PM from me.

Bob

Comment

• Brian Bunge
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2001

Yeah, we all know that Ilkka is an SVS fanboy , but even I don't see the above post as marketing at all.

BTW, welcome to HTG! Nice of you to join us!

Comment

• Ilkka
              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Brian Bunge
              Yeah, we all know that Ilkka is an SVS fanboy , but even I don't see the above post as marketing at all.

BTW, welcome to HTG! Nice of you to join us!
              Only because they make really good subwoofers for the price they want for them.

And thanks!

Comment

• ---k---
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Nov 2005

Interesting. Your conclusions seem very fair. Do you know the excursion distance for the two drivers?

But, probably where the problems at AVS would come from, some would use these to "prove" the SVS is better (which it does appear to be in these measurements), and then go the step further and put the Axiom down. And then there will be some who will just want to argue over silly details of the test method. And then the silly name calling. I'm sick of it, and unfortunately can't take my eyes off the train wreck, so I'm glad Bott deleated it.

But the fact of the matter is, until you get over 110db, even the Axiom isn't hitting 10%, so does it really matter? The differance between 10.4% and 3.5% is very very small. I know you sort-of said this, I'm just repeating it, because I didn't catch it the first time, and in case this place gets infested with those who want to argue.

Can you get Ed to chim in here? Give his stamp of approval or any insite he might have?

BTW, I thought you had an Ultra?
                - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Ilkka
                  • Mar 2006

Originally posted by ---k---
                  Interesting. Your conclusions seem very fair. Do you know the excursion distance for the two drivers?
                  Like I said, I haven't measured either one. TV12 (Ultra's driver) has said to have more than 2" peak to peak Xmax. I haven't seen any promises for Axiom's driver. But when using only my eyes and max excursion the DSP allows, I'd say it's not more than maybe 1.2" peak to peak.

But, probably where the problems at AVS would come from, some would use these to "prove" the SVS is better (which it does appear to be in these measurements), and then go the step further and put the Axiom down. And then there will be some who will just want to argue over silly details of the test method. And then the silly name calling. I'm sick of it, and unfortunately can't take my eyes off the train wreck, so I'm glad Bott deleated it.
                  I don't understand why this kind of "scientific" study with as many detailed measurements as possible (I can even post more screens if someone wants) would be any worse than those numerous flawed measurements and comparisons we have seen in the last few months, especially regarding these two subwoofers? There are also currently much more suspicious "comparisons" going on at other forums, which could be much easily considered "marketing" than my small study. Maybe it depends who posts them?

But the fact of the matter is, until you get over 110db, even the Axiom isn't hitting 10%, so does it really matter? The differance between 10.4% and 3.5% is very very small. I know you sort-of said this, I'm just repeating it, because I didn't catch it the first time, and in case this place gets infested with those who want to argue.
                  You have to remember that the distance used was ONLY 4". I didn't measure it, but I would suspect one has to reduce around 15 dB from that number in order to get the SPL at LP say 8-10 ft away. Meaning the highest level of 120 dB would be around 105 dB at LP. That level can be exceeded during high level movie listening.
                  Can you get Ed to chim in here? Give his stamp of approval or any insite he might have?
                  No, I can't. But he has already gave his stamp of approval through email. That's enough for me.
                  BTW, I thought you had an Ultra?
                  Yes, I have it. Umm?

Comment

• Dennis H
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Aug 2002

No big surprise. SVS uses TC Sounds drivers, a favorite on this board. DIY types can check Soundsplinter and O-audio to buy the drivers. SVS's boxes/tubes and amps are just basic DIY good engineering. Nothing wrong with them, nothing we can't do as well.

Comment

• chasw98
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jan 2006

Illka:
                      Wonderful work here. I do not view it as marketing. I am familiar with the effects of IMD in amplifiers and preamps, but not in speakers or subs. I do not know how this could be done, but it would be interesting to figure out how to "induce" IMD into a sub and hear the difference it would make in the final output with all other factors being equal. As you stated that you are not sure that these measurements are needed or useful with all the other measurements being taken, this would be a way to judge the effect on the output of the final sound of a sub and correlate to real world listening. That could lead to the conclusion, for example, that 25% IMD did not affect the sound very much or that 25% IMD made a large difference. Obviously any change in the final output from the original input is not desired, but what is audible? It appears the Axiom has a 50% higher IMD figure than the SVS. How does that figure into the final listen of the sub (yes, they are 2 different models so there are other factors). Also, what weight would be given to IMD in the overall testing versus FR, THD, and Output Level? Thanks for the work you have done. I enjoy seeing the numbers. (Hope somebody is underwriting your efforts so you don't starve in the cold)

Chuck

Comment

• ---k---
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Nov 2005

I needed to sleep on this! As soon as I got in bed, I realized my comment about 10% at 115db was a little off, because like you said, that is at 4". I know from my testing a while back, I was measuring 120db at 2", but only 96db at my seat. So yeah, big change.

Question about the FR response graph. You said that these were taken 4" from the cone and the Plus is in 20hz tune. Did you also mic the port and add them, or what? I'm curious where the below 20hz info is coming from. I guess this isn't a GP test, so it could be reflections, but I would have thought that would have also filled in the dip at ~22hz. And those graphs look pretty smooth, so I can't imagine there is any room reflection.

Another question, why no dip at the tunning frequency of the Axiom? Maybe is that because of the front port?

When we going to get the data from the Ultra?
                        - Ryan

Comment

• Dotay
                          • Oct 2004

While I'm not Ilkka I believe he was testing the ultra.

Originally posted by Ilkka
                          And the test products are...Axiom EP-600 and SVS PB12-Ultra.

Comment

• ssabripo
                            • Dec 2005

Good work Ilkka....

the feathers are ruffled at the other forum(s) when this info was posted. Ed Mullen just wrote me some follow ups, and is good stuff. I wonder where Joke-man stands on this issue :rofl:
                            My simple HT setup
                            4π using LMS, anyone?

Comment

• ---k---
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Nov 2005

Okay, I'm an idiot. I for some reason thought this was the SVS Plus. But it clearly states "Ultra". So. All me.
                              - Ryan

Comment

• Ilkka
                                • Mar 2006

I needed to sleep on this! As soon as I got in bed, I realized my comment about 10% at 115db was a little off, because like you said, that is at 4". I know from my testing a while back, I was measuring 120db at 2", but only 96db at my seat. So yeah, big change.
                                Yep, I suspect one gets a pretty good feel of the level at LP by deducting around 15 dB from those dB numbers.
                                Question about the FR response graph. You said that these were taken 4" from the cone and the Plus is in 20hz tune. Did you also mic the port and add them, or what? I'm curious where the below 20hz info is coming from. I guess this isn't a GP test, so it could be reflections, but I would have thought that would have also filled in the dip at ~22hz. And those graphs look pretty smooth, so I can't imagine there is any room reflection.
                                No, I didn't mic the port. Only one mic and it was located at 4" distance from the driver (right in front of it). Below 20 Hz info is of coming from the driver itself. It's not that driver doesn't have ANY output below the tuning frequency.
                                Another question, why no dip at the tunning frequency of the Axiom? Maybe is that because of the front port?
                                Yes, the port is right next to the driver, so one needs to go really close to exclude the port output. I can induce the dip (although not that deep as with SVS) if I use 1" distance. And like I said, both subs have almost identical tuning frequencies, ~21.8 Hz.
                                I tested SVS PB12-Ultra and Axiom EP-600.

Comment

• Ilkka
                                  • Mar 2006

Originally posted by jokeman at AH
                                  The general term "intermodular distortion" actually is a catch word for several different difficult to measure distortions including amplitude MD, frequency MD, doppler MD, time induced MD and so forth. Needless to say this is a highly complex area of acoustical physics and to reduce these various phenomena to a single measurement is well...misleading.

From what I can tell from a quick read the basis for the procedure is something called a CCIF test devised 30 or 40 years ago and rarely used today, where 2 frequencies closely spaced are applied to a device and the distortion products are measured often as the difference in frequencies. The test is long out of favour for being too simple to catch all the distortion artifacts created though even when used decades ago the tests were done in close relative spacing at higher frequencies like 15kh and 16kh.
                                  Oh boy... :rofl: :rf

Comment

• Mark Seaton
                                    • Aug 2001

Originally posted by chasw98
                                    Illka:
                                    Wonderful work here. I do not view it as marketing. I am familiar with the effects of IMD in amplifiers and preamps, but not in speakers or subs. I do not know how this could be done, but it would be interesting to figure out how to "induce" IMD into a sub and hear the difference it would make in the final output with all other factors being equal.
                                    Hi Chuck,

As with most systems, the problem really lies in that qualifier of "all other factors being equal." It's very difficult to isolate HD and IMD, as they have shared root causes. The simple listening test I have wanted to do with a few subs is pretty simple. On a sub with L/R inputs, or by some external mixing method, simply put the music/movie input to one input, and then add in a 5-15Hz modulation signal on the other input. The complication is to not induce amplifier clipping or too much audible distortion from the modulation signal. You would probably want to first determine a modulation signal by playing just that with the goal of selecting a frequency and level that is mostly in-audible, but still generates some significant driver excursion. This frequency will differ from subwoofer to subwoofer. You can then vary the level of the modulation signal and listen for how the sound changes subjectively. Personally I think this would be a very interesting test which *might* offer some insight into the "character" change of a sub as it is overdriven, without needing to listen at maximum output levels. Of course that's just my wacky idea...

Since there is both good and different discussion going on here and at HTF, here was my response last night to Ilkka's posting of the same info on HTF:

Great work here Ilkka,

I too am baffled at the "excuse" for the actions taken at that other forum.

In any case, I know I've exchanged more than a few e-mails with Ed on the possibilities of such testing. This example of what you both settled on here is interesting. As Dave mentioned, it could very well take some further comparison, particularly of some poor performers before much correlation is seen. In reality, THD and IMD are intertwined as both are the result of system non-linearities, although there is more possibility of IMD rising at some faster rate than THD.

While there are certainly a variety of factors to consider, one curious comparison is that there is not a direct correlation between the ratio of THD to IMD. While I'm sure many will want to look to boil this down to a single number, the screen captures you've included will probably prove more enlightening than the chart of % distortion.

One thing is pretty well certain and clear... Once THD starts rising, you can expect to see a simultaneous rise in IMD. It will be interesting to see if testing more products there may be differences observed in how fast one rises with respect to the other.

We should also note that the Ultra and Axiom used here are interesting examples. As I understand it the Ultra driver is an underhung design with a copper sleve, which both serve to lower inductance modulation and eddy current distortion. The Axiom, while obviously not having the same excursion capability or output near tuning, is another interesting animal based on what was noted in a recent review at 6 moons. While the wording on Axiom's site is somewhat cryptic in what they are doing with their amplifier to linearize things, the observed feedback suggests that there is some form of current monitoring or similar, which *could* also help the end result while in it's operating range.

Some stuff to ponder there...
                                    Mark Seaton
                                    "Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." - Daniel H. Burnham

Comment

• Jack Gilvey
                                      • Aug 2001

I don't understand why this kind of "scientific" study with as many detailed measurements as possible (I can even post more screens if someone wants) would be any worse than those numerous flawed measurements and comparisons we have seen in the last few months, especially regarding these two subwoofers? There are also currently much more suspicious "comparisons" going on at other forums, which could be much easily considered "marketing" than my small study. Maybe it depends who posts them?
                                      And on who reports them.

Great work, again. One learns more about a man from his enemies than his friends.

Comment

• chasw98
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Jan 2006

Mark:
                                        Good "wacky idea".

As with most systems, the problem really lies in that qualifier of "all other factors being equal." It's very difficult to isolate HD and IMD, as they have shared root causes.

Obviously the components that affect IMD and THD are the amp and speaker/enclosure. To me, it would be simple to eliminate the amp by using an external one with very low to no IMD or THD at all, thus leaving only the speaker with enclosure interaction to be the cause of the THD or IMD. Now, what makes a mechanical device produce the distortion is another thought.

The simple listening test I have wanted to do with a few subs is pretty simple. On a sub with L/R inputs, or by some external mixing method, simply put the music/movie input to one input, and then add in a 5-15Hz modulation signal on the other input. The complication is to not induce amplifier clipping or too much audible distortion from the modulation signal.

Wouldn't you want to stick with test tones only to be able to measure the signals?

You would probably want to first determine a modulation signal by playing just that with the goal of selecting a frequency and level that is mostly in-audible, but still generates some significant driver excursion. This frequency will differ from subwoofer to subwoofer.

Yes, it will differ from sub to sub, but I propose creating a baseline if you will so that you know the sound of IMD (as opposed to other types of distortion) when it occurs in large amounts that are audible. But this takes us back to the idea that all factors are linked together and that if you have IMD, there will be THD. Never ending cycle.....

You can then vary the level of the modulation signal and listen for how the sound changes subjectively. Personally I think this would be a very interesting test which *might* offer some insight into the "character" change of a sub as it is overdriven, without needing to listen at maximum output levels. Of course that's just my wacky idea...

This does sound like a very good idea actually, but the possibility of pointing the finger at changes and then defining what caused those changes is. shall we say, fraught with danger Will Robinson!

Comment

• chasw98
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Jan 2006

Oh and BTW, if you really want to drive yourself crazy, how do you measure the IMD of the mic so that you know it is not contributing to the effect when you measure?

Comment

• ---k---
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Ilkka
                                            No, I didn't mic the port. Only one mic and it was located at 4" distance from the driver (right in front of it). Below 20 Hz info is of coming from the driver itself. It's not that driver doesn't have ANY output below the tuning frequency.
                                            I've never been successful at modeling a ported sub in Unibox. (Add that to the reasons I chose to build a sealed sub. ) I was under the impression that you get a lot more output, and over a wider band from the port, than what I think that I'm seeing in that graph. Also, I know that it appears to be -5db at 15hz, quickly looking, I couldn't find the GP results of PB12-Ultra, but looking at the AV Talk results of the PC-Ultra in 20hz, it looks like it is down -7db at 15hz from 20hz, and that includes some port output. This was the 20hz tune, right? Again, seems odd to me. I'm sure it is just the way I'm look at it.

Could you overlay your GP test result, just so we can see how close the GP is matching up to the 4" measurement.
                                            - Ryan

Comment

• ---k---
                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                              • Nov 2005

Mark's wacky idea is getting into stuff over my head. But, how does it differ/compare to the testing performed by Axiom a while back? I can't find it quickly, it isn't in their "newsletter" section on thier website. But, IIRC they took some music and injected some sine waves (distortion) into the mix, and then steadily increased the volume of the sine wave until it was heard. They found that it took a significant amount of distortion to be heard at the very low frequencies. Maybe someone who isn't at work and should be working could post that link.
                                              - Ryan

Comment

• bobgpsr
                                                • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Mark Seaton
                                                ...The simple listening test I have wanted to do with a few subs is pretty simple. On a sub with L/R inputs, or by some external mixing method, simply put the music/movie input to one input, and then add in a 5-15Hz modulation signal on the other input. The complication is to not induce amplifier clipping or too much audible distortion from the modulation signal. You would probably want to first determine a modulation signal by playing just that with the goal of selecting a frequency and level that is mostly in-audible, but still generates some significant driver excursion....
                                                Hmmm, I wired my Tumult DIY with both coils coming out to the external binding posts. And my sub amp is a stereo pro amp (Mackie M1400). So I could feed one channel normally and the other with the test tone (5-15Hz modulation signal) and keep everything separate till merged in the sub's driver motor.

Bob

Comment

• Ilkka
                                                  • Mar 2006

I've never been successful at modeling a ported sub in Unibox. (Add that to the reasons I chose to build a sealed sub. ) I was under the impression that you get a lot more output, and over a wider band from the port, than what I think that I'm seeing in that graph. Also, I know that it appears to be -5db at 15hz, quickly looking, I couldn't find the GP results of PB12-Ultra, but looking at the AV Talk results of the PC-Ultra in 20hz, it looks like it is down -7db at 15hz from 20hz, and that includes some port output. This was the 20hz tune, right? Again, seems odd to me. I'm sure it is just the way I'm look at it.

Could you overlay your GP test result, just so we can see how close the GP is matching up to the 4" measurement.

There are the GP measurements for the Ultra. It was -6 dB at 16 Hz.

But it's virtually impossible to compare GP results with NF in-room results. When mic is very close to the driver, of course the driver output dominates, but there is also some amount of port output and of course everything gets reflected by the room walls. My room has a very good room gain all the way down to ~15 Hz, which can be also seen in the NF measurements. Of course Axiom's response drops at 20 Hz, because it has almost a brick wall HP filter there. No room gain can compensate that.

Comment

• ---k---
                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                    • Nov 2005

Thanks for the link to your test results. You had the link in your sig file for so long, I never bothered to bookmark it. (Same with Thomas!). I got out of the habit of bookmarking so long ago, when the internet got boring, and now I can never find anything!
                                                    - Ryan

Comment

• Ilkka
                                                      • Mar 2006

The links are back.

Comment

• SteveCallas
                                                        • Aug 2005

---k---, the Axiom experiment was a test of noise distortion, which is different from THD or IMD. With a ported sub, port noise and driver self noise would probably be the two main culprits for noise distortion. Bossobass claims he can hear driver self noise with ported designs, yet the facts are clearly against him. The Axiom test results showed that with bass frequencies, the noise distortion would have to be nearly 100% as loud as the fundamental frequency being played before it was noticable - in Ilkka's tests, he has a measurement where he finds max output while staying under 10% THD + N, and you can see with the Ultra for example that when staying under 10%, the max output is virtually the same as max output under no restraints. So unless one has a ported sub that is total crap, or unless one has superhuman hearing, self noise will not be audible through a port.

Feel free to correct me anyone.

Comment

• Mark Seaton
                                                          • Aug 2001

When read the Axiom "tests" a few months back, there were many gaping holes, as the "noise/distortion" injected had no level or frequency relation to what was being listened to.

Driver suspensions (including all of it's moving parts) do make noise. Any sort of noise will tend to manifest itself in higher frequencies, increasing the likelihood of audibility.

If you want an example of 10% limits not correlating to maximum output at all, look up Keith Yates's measurements of the Bag End S21 in the WDD article. Note that not only does 10% THD not represent the maximum output, but there is still minimal compression to higher levels that the 10% THD limit. If you look at his listening comments and relative comparisons, it would suggest that the lack of compression in that particular design was more dominant in his listening than absolute THD. Of course we aren't seeing the spectrum or makeup of the THD, so we can only note that there are parallels, but not direct correlation to THD.
                                                          Mark Seaton
                                                          "Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." - Daniel H. Burnham

Comment

• steve nn
                                                            • Jan 2006

Very informative and great conversation. This must have been the prior measurements you alluded to. The numbers do suggest that your possible conclusion might very well correlate with THD imo, but of course you'll have more to bolster your direction in the spring. Great work Ilkka.

Comment

• Ilkka
                                                              • Mar 2006

We discuss and review all genre of movies, all types of home theater hardware, and maintain one of the longest running active forums on the web!

I will updata both threads regarding measurements, but we are having a rather interesting discussion going on in the HTF thread.

Comment

• Dennis H
                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                • Aug 2002

Well, I called David Bott on banning Ilkka and he explained in a PM. First, he's only suspended for a week, not banned (yet). Apparently that's not the first forum where he's had problems with his SVS "enthusiasm." At AVTalk, he has this in his profile:

Status: Established Talker
                                                                SVS Marketing Department

So, I can understand that David's tolerance is a bit low. If it quacks like a duck.....

Comment

• Tom Vodhanel
                                                                  • Sep 2000

Ilkka has never been related to SVS in any financial way ( or ANY way) and he is not part of any marketing plan. We have never paid him, given him free product or even a free t-shirt for that matter. If he posted a profile like that anywhere it was as a joke.

Tom V.
                                                                  SVS

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • Nov 2001

Tom,

I was about to say that I imagined that was a joke. Nevertheless, I can see where someone not knowing Ilkka could construe that as truth.

Comment

• ssabripo
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Dec 2005

here is what "Bott" had to say about removal of threads over at AVS regarding this IMD measurements:

Originally posted by David Bott
                                                                      Hi...

The thread was removed by mistake I am sorry to say. Several posts were reported in the thread and as the posts were being removed, like a link to a post on another site that was more or less just outright marketing, a click of one option vs another was all it took and the thread, not the post, was removed. (It was on topic for the most part, and that is way it stayed open.)

Mistakes happen. This was not the first such mistake, it will not be the last. Just look what happened with the messed up server time that accounted for over 400 posts to be removed.

As far as the marketing goes...yes, it is sad that we are one again finding ourselfs removing more posts that are made to more or less to promote a product or a line. We will not sit back and allow any company, through it's customers or marketing staff, to use the site for sales. If that is your intent, then please use another site.
                                                                      and his followup, when someone called BS on him:
                                                                      Originally posted by David Bott
                                                                      You know...I did not have to post anything. I could have just removed the thread and moved on. But I did not, I posted what happened. Your choice to believe it or not. I for one know what I posted is correct. That is all that is needed.

And what I love is that Ilka has been banned from a number of forums. Pondering. And even better...He was SUSPENDED here for 1 week with his last warning about marketing and post jumping. Not Banned. Simple as that.

Thread now closed. I will not allow for the abuse from people who care to just pile on. If the only reason you are on this site is to promote or defend a brand of product, this is not the site for you.

I kindly remind you that I also own Twin Ultras and even wrote about them when I was published for my theater in Audio Video Interiors.

this is just freagin comical!!! ...... I guess Bott forgot about the "S" in AVS; perhaps it doesn't stand for "science" anymore!
                                                                      My simple HT setup
                                                                      4π using LMS, anyone?

Comment

• Dennis H
                                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                                        • Aug 2002

Apparently the title was added by a moderator with a sense of humor.

Comment

• Tom Vodhanel
                                                                          Junior Member
                                                                          • Sep 2000

Well, the "owner' Of said forum is a "dealer" for a direct competitor to SVS. So if Illkka made any measurements that showed SVS to perform well...that would probably explain things. When Illkka posted measurements showing our products in a less than perfect light...many of these same individuals all pointed to the data as "strong evidence" that SVS isn't perfect. Then, he posts something that shows us measuring well...and he is mocked as a "SVS marketer". Seems a bit unfair. But whatever gives everyone a good laugh I guess..

Tom V.
                                                                          SVS

Comment

• Ilkka
                                                                            Member
                                                                            • Mar 2006
                                                                            • 70

Originally posted by Dennis H
                                                                            Well, I called David Bott on banning Ilkka and he explained in a PM. First, he's only suspended for a week, not banned (yet). Apparently that's not the first forum where he's had problems with his SVS "enthusiasm." At AVTalk, he has this in his profile:

Status: Established Talker
                                                                            SVS Marketing Department

So, I can understand that David's tolerance is a bit low. If it quacks like a duck.....
                                                                            The status I have at AV Talk is certainly NOT placed by me. Some AV Talk moderator has deliberately went into my personal profile and altered the information. I find that kind of behaviour extremely lowlife and sad. No mod should ever do such thing. One doesn't have to post a lot regarding SVS in there in order to be called "enthusiastic". The forum is owned and moderated by the largest Velodyne dealer in the Europe and anyone supporting SVS isn't welcome there.

And AVS shows this info regarding my account:
                                                                            Ilkka, looks like you broke one or more rules. You were banned on 04-05-06 for forever.

The ban will be automatically lifted never.

There is currently forever remaining.

After your ban time expires you will once again be able to access the forum.

Reason you were banned/suspended:
                                                                            Marketing on the site is not welcome and we believe that is why you are now here. Your account is now closed.

Comment

• Tom Vodhanel
                                                                              Junior Member
                                                                              • Sep 2000
                                                                              • 18

#39
                                                                              >>>No big surprise. SVS uses TC Sounds drivers, a favorite on this board. DIY types can check Soundsplinter and O-audio to buy the drivers. SVS's boxes/tubes and amps are just basic DIY good engineering. Nothing wrong with them, nothing we can't do as well.<<<

Well, you can't but the SAME drivers we use...but you can get very good drivers.. And as long as you don't have enclosure size constrainsts...you can absolutely do as good or better (than SVS) with DIY. We help design new DIYs 2-3x a week still. If you have the time, the tools, and a free weekend or two...don't buy, DIY.

Tom V.
                                                                              SVS

Comment

• Bent
                                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                                • Sep 2003
                                                                                • 1570

#40
                                                                                Ilkka, there is a thread in Curt Palme's new(er) crt projector forum that references profile and signature hacking on AVS - it's quite prevelent in spite of what AVS might insist is true.

Comment

• Ilkka
                                                                                  Member
                                                                                  • Mar 2006
                                                                                  • 70

#41
                                                                                  Originally posted by Bott
                                                                                  And what I love is that Ilka has been banned from a number of forums. Pondering. And even better...He was SUSPENDED here for 1 week with his last warning about marketing and post jumping. Not Banned. Simple as that.
                                                                                  I find this comment pretty strange. I was suspended from Audioholics for a week. It is over now and I have learned my lesson (though the reason for the suspension was pretty weak). I'm not banned from any other forum than AVS. I don't know why he talks about suspension?

Could someone ask him?

Comment

• Ilkka
                                                                                    Member
                                                                                    • Mar 2006
                                                                                    • 70

#42
                                                                                    Originally posted by Bent
                                                                                    Ilkka, there is a thread in Curt Palme's new(er) crt projector forum that references profile and signature hacking on AVS - it's quite prevelent in spite of what AVS might insist is true.
                                                                                    I'm sorry but now you lost me? :?:

Comment

• Ilkka
                                                                                      Member
                                                                                      • Mar 2006
                                                                                      • 70

#43
                                                                                      As I already told before, unfortunately I am out of subs already, so I asked a good friend to bring his high performance subwoofer into my place for some measurements. Since some people felt it wasn't a right decision to tell the brands/models of the previously tested subwoofers, let's just call this third sub a "Sub C". I will only say its driver can be considered more high excursion than low excursion driver. I won't even tell if it's a retail or DIY sub.

Again same 4" distance between mic and cone was used and subwoofer was tested for IMD and THD at three different levels: 110 dB, 115 dB and 120 dB.

I will not bore you with exact numbers, but post only the graphs instead.

It seems that Sub C has quite similar results with Ultra regarding IMD at lower levels, but actually pulls slightly ahead at higher levels. Regarding THD it's only a tad worse than the Ultra, so IMD+THD levels are almost identical. I must admit I was a bit surprised how well this sub scored. I wasn't expecting this kind of performance, but it's always nice to see some surprises. I'm really excited to start measuring these tests outdoors for different kind of subwoofers. I'm also considering weighting higher frequency components differently than those closer to the two fundamentals.

Comment

• Lex
                                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                        • Apr 2001
                                                                                        • 27461

#44
                                                                                        A few observations from me on this thread:

1. Please stay on topic.
                                                                                        2. Avoid discussions about other forums.
                                                                                        3. Avoid URL links to other forums.
                                                                                        4. Please stay on topic.

thank you, and put emphasis on 1 and 4.

Doug
                                                                                        Doug
                                                                                        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                          • Aug 2000
                                                                                          • 10933

#45
                                                                                          Whatever's going on with other forums isn't pertinent to this thread. We're flexible and allowed people to 'vent' their frustrations, and now we all know Ilkka isn't on the SVS payroll....

So let's get back on track......

I think it's a good idea to name all the units being tested. It's not very helpful to have the info about some subs and none about the third. And having a pile of test data about completely unknown sub, makes for a pretty limited discussion, unless we're the only thing to be discussed is the testing process itself.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"