Looking to possibly build replacement speakers...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Taoism
    • Jul 2004

Looking to possibly build replacement speakers...

Hi all,

I'm an occassional lurker here (hence the low post count)

I have a pair of Sony speakers (model SS-C6 10AV), and one of the speakers is starting to have some terrible distortion. I switched it from the A-speaker inputs to the B-speaker inputs and it still distorts pretty badly (so I am ruling out my receiver as the culprit). The other speaker seems fine still.

I have read about building speakers on these forums a few times, and I am wondering how easy it would be to build speakers as "good" (I know it is a relative term) as the Sony speakers I have on a limited budget. Perhaps up to $500 CDN. I don't necessarily need full height like the Sony speakers are. However, I don't own a subwoofer, so I don't know if that is a factor or not.

Actually while I'm at it, I need to also get my hands on 2 side channel and 2 rear surround sound speakers, so if those can be inexpensive to build, I would be interested in tackling them in the next few months as well

Suggestions are greatly appreciated

Cheers,
    Keith.
  • BobEllis
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

The NatalieP should run around $350 US for parts and will likely be a MUCH better performer than your current speakers. The sky is the limit on cabinets, although you could get the very nice ready made Parts Express cabinets and only bust your budget a little. Factor in the cost of a router if you don't already own one.

To really test if the problem is the receiver you need to swap the speakers side to side. If the problem moves with the speaker, that is the problem. If it stay on the same side the receiver is the culprit. Swapping speaker outputs is like changing from the top outlet in your wall socket to the bottom - they both connect to exactly the same thing.

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"