• Jack Gilvey
    • Aug 2001

New Dayton modular flared ports

Saw this in the new flyer:

* Create-Your-Own flared port tube system
    * Selection of flares, elbows, and straight tubes
    * Constructed of high quality ABS plastic
    * Available inside and ouside flaring to minimize port noise

They have 2,3,and 4" parts. Not sure how they compare to the Precison Ports.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Interesting........ unfortunately they don't seem to have the amount of flare as the Precision ports. Maybe it's an optical illusion..... :huh:

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• collo
      • Nov 2005

We'll have to wait for someone to buy one of each diameter to find out the flare radius. :cry:

The need for joining rings is done away with, as the flare accepts the tube directly.

The addition of an elbow to the system seems to be the main advantage :B

Unfortunately they haven't radiused the inside of the bend - it appears to be a sharp 90degrees. :M

An AES paper suggests that the minimum turn radius should be 20% of the port diameter. I would at least be sanding off any sharp edge.

The price for a 4in straight port ends up being similar to the Precision Ports, which they still list. (I did wonder if they're about to change suppliers)

I would guess that PSP would respond with an elbow option of their own, hopefully with a smoother bend. Thank god for free enterprise!
      Ports rule ...

Comment

• Jack Gilvey
        • Aug 2001

You guys get all hung up on performance issues...I just thought they looked cool.

Would've been nice to get a 6"...

Comment

• Valorum
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Jack Gilvey
          Would've been nice to get a 6"...
          According to emails i receive daily, they have all kinds of cures for that...

Seriously though: Do these things connect to plain old 4" PVC pipe you can buy at Home Depot? Or are these all "proprietary"? I wouldn't mind having a nice flare on my ports, but i need ports longer than their 15" pipes...

Comment

• Jack Gilvey
            • Aug 2001

According to emails i receive daily, they have all kinds of cures for that...
            We're on the same mailing list.

Tough to tell, but I think these are proprietary.

Comment

• steve nn
              • Jan 2006

You guys get all hung up on performance issues...I just thought they looked cool.
              ha ha ha...You know it a rough crowd over here Jack. :W

Comment

• thylantyr
                • Nov 2004

Hope they make a 6" that interfaces to PVC pipe,
                8" would be cool too....

Comment

• steve nn
                  • Jan 2006

Hope they make a 6" that interfaces to PVC pipe,
                  No.. they don't! I came across them a few days ago in the flyer and it's the same-old - same-old 4" offerings. What's so hard about coming up with 6" ports and flare options!?

Comment

• ThomasW
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Certainly not difficult to make, more than likely it's a simple matter of low demand.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• poneal

I ordered the 4" outside flare today and

when I get it I will take some pictures at different angles and post here. I will also buy some 4" PVC pipe and see if it slips into the flare or if it will require some manipulation.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"