X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SE-Raider
    • Jan 2006

Best Mini Monitor designs under $300

I plan to order parts this weekend for a small monitor for me and my son to build. I'm leaning toward Roman Bednarek's Microbe design, but might also want to consider a design with the RS150 for a lttle more bass output. I thought I'd give it one more pass through here first to see if anyone had a design they felt was just too good to pass up, o that performed wha beyond what it should.

Thanks for any recommendations.
  • Mudjock
    • Sep 2005

It depends on what you consider small... My RS150-Seas 27TBFC/G MT fits the bill costwise and sounds much better than it has any right to for the cost.

If you build it in a 0.25 cu. ft. box (roughly 7.5" x 12" x 10" externally) ported, the bass extension is only marginally better than the Microbe, but you can push more SPL (still not a huge amount with a 6" cone and 4 mm x-max) without running into trouble. If you can get the box size up to 0.35 - 0.4 cu. ft. (i.e. the next size up Parts Express box), the RS150 can put out a surprising amount of bass. My crossover schematic is attached if you are interested. If you want to discuss port tunings, you can post here or PM me - I have messed around with both box sizes I mentioned above.
    Attached Files
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out...

https://sites.google.com/view/sehlin...solutions/home

Comment

• Dotay
      • Oct 2004

I'm actually in the process of building the Microbe speaker myself right now. I purchased all the parts for ~$150 IIRC. My plan for this speaker is that I will use it as a bedroom/computer speaker and it will be my model for learning things like crossover construction and veneering before I move onto my next project (Modula MT's and either Natalie P's or the smaller RS 3-way).

I just made all the cuts last night and now I need to cut out the holes in the baffles. Depending on your timeline I can give you my thoughts on the design once it's finished.

Comment

• BretH
        • Feb 2006

Wander over to the Rs150 Mt thread. I am in the process of making a MT with the rs150/27TDFC in a .5 cu ft box, ported.Total parts cost is going to be about $210 so I think the total is going to be about $250-$260 with MDF and veneer.

I gave serious thought to the Microbe design as well, but I am shooting for that little extra bass I hope the 150 will offer, especially since we only do stereo & I don't crank my music the way I used to.

Comment

• Brian Bunge
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2001

And I'm building a .29ft^3 sealed enclosure for the RS150/28AS combo. External dimensions will be 12"H x 7.5"W x 10.75". I'm including a shelf brace and 1.125" thick baffles and backs.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"