X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SE-Raider
    • Jan 2006

Dayton Reference Subs; HO or HF

If used in a sealed enclosure, sized for .5 Q, which driver would be best?
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

If it's for a sub use the HO version. If it's for a woofer use the HF version

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Scott Simonian
      • Nov 2004

For the first time, I think I'd have to disagree with you, Thomas. I'd say for sub use ONLY use the HF version. It goes lower and higher. Plays louder. The caveat being that the HF version needs the enclosure to be two to three times bigger. Who needs these <1cuft boxes, anyway?
      My Sound Splinter 18's each in 25cuft boxes w/ EP2500

Comment

• cotdt
        • Oct 2005

yeah i thought it was HO version for tiny boxes, and HF version for larger boxes

Comment

• AutoAudio
          • Mar 2006

I have the HF for sub purposes and I find it to be rather fantastic. It plays deep good and loud. A little bit muddier then my last driver, but less then half the cost. I feel like the biggest drop is after 29hz. Still plenty audible just seems to be where it lops off the most. I'm not sure what the graphs say. I like to test with my ears... I haven't heard the HO version so I can't really say my thoughts in comparison. Three cubes sealed is a little big (if you ask my wife anyways), but a 1 cubic foot box would have looked too wussy anyways. I only run it up to about 65 hz, but when I build the modula's using the peerless driver I'll run it a little higher.

Bruce

Comment

• SE-Raider
            • Jan 2006

Volumes for these drivers

What would be the optimal volume for a Q .50 for these two drivers? Also for the RS180 while we're at it. The Linear Team site I usually use for these calculations defaults to .707 with no option to change. Are there other good sites on-line for enclousre calcualtions? thanks

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

If you download Unibox you can tell it to design the box based your choice of "Q".

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"