X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • poneal
    • May 2024

Which would you choose and why?

Starting the planning stage for my next project. I keep coming back to an MMTMM design in a closed box and crossed over to a sub around 80hz to 120hz. Looking at the RS125, RS150 and possibly the RS180 for the MMMM part. Will the RS28AS tweeter keep up with this? I'm a little concerned since my MDT20 tweeter almost ran out of juice on a TMM design I just completed. I am primarily looking for decent efficiency around 91 to 92db at 1 watt and clean sound. What do you guys think? Also has any tests been done on the 4ohm version of the RS150? It's spec'ed at 91.5db which is pretty good but I don't know how the distortion is on this one. All comments welcome, even from you Thomas--I know you don't care for the RS150--but I do value your judgement. Thanks, Paul
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

I would look to the Seas tweeters actually - they hold a bit more sensitivity than the RS28A. My personal pick is the 27TDFC, but the TBFC would also do exceptionally well.

My personal choice would be to use RS150's near the tweeter and RS180's as your .5.

C
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• poneal

Originally posted by cjd
      I would look to the Seas tweeters actually - they hold a bit more sensitivity than the RS28A. My personal pick is the 27TDFC, but the TBFC would also do exceptionally well.

My personal choice would be to use RS150's near the tweeter and RS180's as your .5.

C
      I had not thought about that (RS180 as .5s). Any negative effects on wiring different drivers together? I think I will use the Seas due to better QC, better sensitivity, cheaper, and from what I hear it's built like a tank. As a matter of fact, I have 2 RS225s that I could also use as the .5 too. That would look pretty cool to I think. Big, Small, Smallest, Small, Big. If I go with the RS225--since I already have them, would 1000hz be a good place to .5 this one? Thanks, Paul

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Paul,

Based on threads where the RS150 was discussed as the midwoofer in a MT config, you've made the assumption I don't like the driver. That's not the case, I simply wouldn't use any driver with that low a Vd as the midwoofer in a MT configuration.

If one is making a large, higher efficiency system, using the 150 as the midranges, my vote would be for a WMTMW with the RS ref 8"-10" woofers.

Since I like metal dome tweeters I'd use the Focal TC120. It's a personal favorite. And with 93dB efficiency, there's no worry about overdriving the tweeter to keep up with the rest of the system.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• poneal

Originally posted by ThomasW
          Paul,

Based on threads where the RS150 was discussed as the midwoofer in a MT config, you've made the assumption I don't like the driver. That's not the case, I simply wouldn't use any driver with that low a Vd as the midwoofer in a MT configuration.

If one is making a large, higher efficiency system, using the 150 as the midranges, my vote would be for a WMTMW with the RS ref 8"-10" woofers.

Since I like metal dome tweeters I'd use the Focal TC120. It's a personal favorite. And with 93dB efficiency, there's no worry about overdriving the tweeter to keep up with the rest of the system.
          Oh, I understand now. Jeez, I feel like a heel. RomanB just shot down the MMTMM idea but seems to think a 3way WMTMW would be good. I would use the 8 or 10 RS for the W's and the RS150 or RS125 for the mids crossed around 2000hz. Should be fairly efficent--trying to get at least 90db at 1 watt. Do you think in your honest opinion that this will work? What crossover freq. would you recommend on the woofer to mid? Thanks, Paul

Comment

• cjd
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Dec 2004

You're moving into the territory I covered in my big 3-ways now Paul

I guess I don't know what your goals are with this, but if you're crossing as high as you say to a sub, the RS180 should be quite up to the task. And easing the bass duties on the RS150 will definitely help it out, as it has excursion issues. Of course, that path gets rather close to what I am considering for my HT.

C

Comment

• poneal

Originally posted by cjd
              You're moving into the territory I covered in my big 3-ways now Paul

I guess I don't know what your goals are with this, but if you're crossing as high as you say to a sub, the RS180 should be quite up to the task. And easing the bass duties on the RS150 will definitely help it out, as it has excursion issues. Of course, that path gets rather close to what I am considering for my HT.

C
              Don't know If I've seen these or not. Did you go MTMWW? or WMTMW? My primary goal is sensitivity (90db or greater) and then low distortion. My AVR only puts out 65wpc in stereo mode and 55wpc in HT mode so I need more sensitivity. So I guess my goal would be good sensitivity and good distortion figures.

Comment

• cjd
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Dec 2004

They're stickied. Page 16 is what you want. Right here.

MTMWW with RS28A, RS180, RS270

C

Comment

• Dennis H
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Aug 2002

Or this sticky thread with WMTW center and TMWW tower using RS28, RS150 and RS225. Center designs at the beginning and tower design near the end.

Comment

• ThomasW
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

The issue with a WMTMW or MMTMM is getting the tweeter at the right height. To do so the box needs to be pretty tall. So I second the MTMWW idea.....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"