X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jdybnis
    • Dec 2004

Anatomy of an RS180S-8

I was testing out capslock's debucking instructions on a dysfunctional RS180. Heating on the stove to remove the bucking magnet worked so well, I decided disassembling the rest of the driver would be fun. Here are the results.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RS180.JPG
Views:	1856
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	868006

From the top left: voice coil and former, copper ring, pole piece and phase plug, magnet, spider, surround, bucking magnet, bottom cap, cone, basket.
    Last edited by theSven; 30 September 2023, 22:23 Saturday. Reason: Update image location
    -Josh
  • Dennis H
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2002

Dude! That's one ugly looking cone! Seriously though, thanks for the anatomy lesson.

Comment

• Nathan P
      • Mar 2006

Let's see how you look when you've been torn to peices :B

Comment

• cjd
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Dec 2004

Hey, is that cone one or two layers?

I've not torn down the broken RS270 yet but I'm fairly sure it's multiple layers. I want to measure it first since it seems to be working far better than a kicked driver re-formed ought to work.

C
        diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• jdybnis
          • Dec 2004

It looks like 1 layer to me. Removing the cone was a bit of a hack job. I used pliers and ripped it off the former.
          -Josh

Comment

• cotdt
            • Oct 2005

you can reuse some of those parts to make your own DIY drivers.

Comment

• capslock
              • Dec 2004

Could you post a sideways view of the pole piece? What are the dimensions of the copper ring? Thanx

Comment

• TacoD
                Super Senior Member
                • Feb 2004

Wow, nice photo :-). How is the phase plug attached to the pole piece?

Comment

• jdybnis
                  • Dec 2004

I'm not sure how the phase plug is attached to the pole piece. I could try heating it again to see if it comes off.

The copper ring is 13mm high, 1mm thick, 48mm external diameter. Dimensions of the pole piece are 37.5mm in diameter, reduced to 35.5mm where the pole is undercut, 32mm tall. That height includes the bottom flange which is 6mm thick. The opening on the bottom is 9mm diameter and 19mm deep. Phase plug is around 45mm.

Click image for larger version

Name:	phase plug.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	845287
                  Last edited by theSven; 30 September 2023, 22:23 Saturday. Reason: Update image location
                  -Josh

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"