What is a good wire to use inside a speaker?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonW
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

What is a good wire to use inside a speaker?

For building these Modula MT speakers, I need to get some wire for inside- connecting the crossover to the drivers, etc. What’s a good wire to use? . I already have some of this wire around the house:

Should I just pull out one of the 14 gauge conduits and use that? Or maybe something else is better?

I'm guessing this is one of those "All wires sound the same!" "No they don't!" "Yes they do!!" "Am not!!" "Are too!!" issues. But I'll ask before I start ordering parts. Thanks.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Everyone has their opinion. I buy the surplus mil spec stuff (Teflon, silver plated copper) from Steve at www.apexjr.com 14 gauge for the tweeters and doubled 12 gauge for the woofers

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• JoshK
      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by ThomasW
      Everyone has their opinion. I buy the surplus mil spec stuff (Teflon, silver plated copper) from Steve at www.apexjr.com 14 gauge for the tweeters and doubled 12 gauge for the woofers
      Funny...that is what I use too.

Comment

• ---k---
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by ThomasW
        Why double 12guage for the woofers? Is that thickness really needed, or is it easy overkill that doesn't cost much and is easy to do?

I guess,I'm most suprised because I've never seen anyone say that more than single 12gauge is needed from the amp to the speaker. That is likely the longer run, so if you're not using double 12ga there, why inside?

You got me thinking I need to open up my subs and add another run of 12ga.
        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• WillyD
          • Feb 2006

Originally posted by ---k---
          Why double 12guage for the woofers? Is that thickness really needed, or is it easy overkill that doesn't cost much and is easy to do?

I guess,I'm most suprised because I've never seen anyone say that more than single 12gauge is needed from the amp to the speaker. That is likely the longer run, so if you're not using double 12ga there, why inside?

You got me thinking I need to open up my subs and add another run of 12ga.
          I don't know if I did it right or not, but when I just built my Modula MTs I used 14 guage all throughout (from a 250Ft Carol roll available at Home Depot).

The speakers sound good to me. :T

Comment

• JonW
            Super Senior Member
            • Jan 2006

OK, an ignorant followup to my ignorant question: Braided or solid wire? I'm guessing it makes no difference.

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

stranded

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"