X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dotay
    • Oct 2004

SVS sonotube covering material?

When I was at DarrenE's house recently to demo our respective subs I got my first look at an SVS sub and I have to say that I really like the material they use on the outside. Does anyone happen to know the fabric they use and know of a source for it?

I saw this stuff from speaker city posted in another thread on the board and they described it as kind of a shiny felt. What I'd definitely like to avoid is the carpet stuff like the carpet that used to come on the premade subwoofers at places like bestbuy. It was kind of a grayish color and looks really cheap IMO.

The other option right now is the short loop indoor outdoor carpet that ThomasW used to finish his tubezilla. We have a Lowe's close by where I live so I'll be checking out how that looks here soon.
  • JonW
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

For what it's worth... I bought some fabric at Jo-Ann Fabrics. It's almost like a t-shirt material, but a little thicker, more durable, stretchy in one direction. I got it in black. I had to have a local seamstress sew it together to make a cylinder to pull and stretch over my tube. I'm quite happy with the results. You can see it when you come over for the preamp test. I'll even let you touch it. :P

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

We've used the T-Shirt material for a couple tube subs. It's real easy to work with. It doesn't have the polished look of the SVS fabric, which is like a thick velour or micro-fiber.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Dotay
        • Oct 2004

Originally posted by ThomasW
        We've used the T-Shirt material for a couple tube subs. It's real easy to work with. It doesn't have the polished look of the SVS fabric, which is like a thick velour or micro-fiber.
        Yeah, a thick velour would be a good way to describe it IMO. Maybe I'll check at Jo-Ann fabrics for something like that.

I went to Lowe's today and I think I saw the short loop carpet that you used on the Tubezilla. They had it in the grey color but not in a black which is what I'd be looking for.

Originally posted by JonW
        You can see it when you come over for the preamp test. I'll even let you touch it. :P
        I don't know if I'll be able to contain my excitement until we get together for that pre-amp test. I might have to schedule a special trip to come feel the fabric (Costanza style). :B

Comment

• JonW
          Super Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Dotay
          Yeah, a thick velour would be a good way to describe it IMO. Maybe I'll check at Jo-Ann fabrics for something like that.
          I've not seen an SVS sub in person but, in general, I think velour looks kind of cheesy.

Before building my sub, I had never been in a Jo-Ann's before. When I went, I was the only guy in the whole place. And for my acoustic panels/room treatments, I've had to go back multiple times. I'm almost embarassed to be in there. Oh, my manliness... :P

Originally posted by Dotay
          I don't know if I'll be able to contain my excitement until we get together for that pre-amp test. I might have to schedule a special trip to come feel the fabric (Costanza style). :B
          :rofl:

Comment

• HMenke
            • Feb 2006

Originally posted by JonW
            Before building my sub, I had never been in a Jo-Ann's before. When I went, I was the only guy in the whole place. And for my acoustic panels/room treatments, I've had to go back multiple times. I'm almost embarassed to be in there. Oh, my manliness...
            I know, but there is so much cool HT-usable stuff in there. I went there to get blackout cloth and black velvet for my DIY projector screen.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"