Modula MTM/Avalanche 18-Good Combination?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lurkalot
    • Dec 2005

Modula MTM/Avalanche 18-Good Combination?

Hello there,

I am consdering building the Modula MTM for the fronts, along with the matching centre channel speaker.

I have an Avalanche 18 to build a sub with, but am not sure if using an MTM with dual 7" mid-woofers is likely to integrate well with a large sub like this -too much bass?? ( I am very much a novice speaker builder).

Any assistance would be gratefully appreciated!!

Thanks,

Lurkalot
  • Paul H
    • Feb 2004

You won't have too much bass. Once you've got everything built and set up you can adjust the sub volume to match the main speakers and all the rest. This is best done using equalization on the sub such as the Behringer Feedback Destroyer (do a search on that for more info).

The only potential problem with integrating a large subwoofer is that an 18" driver doesn't typically play higher frequencies very cleanly. If your other speakers don't play low enough frequencies to transition nicely with the subwoofer you would have a 'hole' in the frequency response - some frequencies such as the lower notes of a bass guitar wouldn't play loud enough compared to the rest of the music.

The Modula mtm's don't appear to have that problem - they play low enough frequencies to crossover to a large sub.

I think this would be a great combination. The typical problem with sub size is that they're too small, and you just can't move large amounts of air with a 8-10" sub.

Have fun,

Paul

Comment

• SteveCallas
      • Aug 2005

Yeah, it will integrate fine. Have you come up with a subwoofer plan for that driver? PM me if there is any chance you might be willing to sell that driver and consider going with something else.

Comment

• Bent
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2003

Steve!

When does it ever stop?
        :ROFL:

Comment

• cotdt
          • Oct 2005

not enough bass! never enough!

Comment

• SteveCallas
            • Aug 2005

Steve!

When does it ever stop?
            :ROFL:
            I'd definitely stop at 4. I figure if I have to buy another tube and amp for sub #3, I'm going to have a spare tube and empty amp channel, so I may as well shoot for 4 :B

Seriously Lurkalot, let me know :T

Comment

• wildfire99
              • Aug 2005

The funny thing is, I thought the same thing when I saw Lurkalot's post. They must make the Ava 18 cones out of some kind of opiate compound, or perhaps all that bass changes your brain chemistry in some way.

I'll outbid Steve by one dollar!
              - Patrick
              "But it's more fun when it doesn't make sense!"

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"