X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • silvercans
    • Nov 2005

Ran out of PE sonic barrier, need alternative

So it looks like I miscalculated on the PE sonic barrier (1/2") and because shipping is probably more then the product, I need to know what you recommend that I can pick up locally?
  • BobEllis
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

How about chopped foam carpet pad? I've used it with satisfactory results, sometimes doubled up. Quite cheap, and you'll have something to use until you can tack some sonic barrier onto your next PE order.

Comment

• EdL
      • Apr 2005

And consider adding peel & stick vinyl tiles ( $0.99 ea. @ your home supply store ) between the case and foam for "mass" damping.
      Ed

Comment

• BretH
        • Feb 2006

I take it that this sort of stuff doesn't reduce the inside dimensions of the enclosure by the thickness of the material? Because the low frequency waves more-or-less go right through the foam?

Comment

• silvercans
          • Nov 2005

I was at Walmart today and noticed they had polyester batting that was ~1" thick, and 24"x24". It looked just like fiberglass batting in terms of stifness and density. What do you guys think? (fyi I can't use the fiberglass stuff because my speakers are ported).

Comment

• BobEllis
            Super Senior Member
            • Dec 2005

give it a shot. I liked the results with carpet pad better, though.

Comment

• eperson
              • Mar 2006

I went to one of those Jo-Ann craft stores, and they have sheets of open cell foam from 1/2" thick to 5" thick that are really cheap. I think I got a 2'x6' sheet of 1/2" for 10 bucks or so.

Comment

• peterS
                Super Senior Member
                • Dec 2005

Originally posted by BretH
                I take it that this sort of stuff doesn't reduce the inside dimensions of the enclosure by the thickness of the material? Because the low frequency waves more-or-less go right through the foam?
                they simulate a larger enclosure actualy by having more give

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Thin material of any kind has little to no impact on the bass or the size of the box. It does absorb any higher freqencies that aren't filtered out by the crossover. With the expanded foams it takes a couple of inches before there's much benefit.

The carpet foam Bob's talking about is much denser than mattress or acoustic foam. With carpet foam one has to be sure that the bonded side is glued against the enclosure walls so the open cell side faces the driver.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"