X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jason_AZ1
    • Mar 2006

Soliciting center channel advice to match my existing system

Hello Gang,

I’ve been lurking for awhile trying to catch up on recent advancements. I built my sub, mains, and surrounds 2-3 years ago. My question is what center channel speaker to build.

The facts:

My setup now is:
    1) 2 Adire Audio Kit 281s transmission line configuration for left and right
    2) 2 Adire Audio Kit 81s sealed configuration for rear channels
    3) 1 Adire Audio Tempest Subwoofer in a sealed box configuration with plate amp
    4) H-K AVR 430 receiver

My room geometry is a travesty. Spousal negotiation is going nowhere. There is a wall down the left side and the left channel is directly on it. The right side is open to the kitchen. The ceiling is vaulted and ranges from 8’ at the left wall to about 16’. Primary viewing position is on a couch parallel to the left wall. ARRRRR I get nauseated just thinking about it.
    I have a dream that someday I’ll get a bigger house and have a dedicated room and do things right.

I have plenty of space above the TV for the center. About 14 inches vertical, 6 feet horizontal, 20 inches deep.

I was going to build an Adire LCC for a complete set but the AV8s seem to have disappeared and been replaced by the Extremis Midwoofers which I haven't read to much about except the literature from the manufacturer and distributors.

I was looking at the Dayton WMTW and the Adire LCR but would be open to consider anything.

I’m quite happy following someone else’s plans with regard to crossover design and cabinet layout.

My listening habits are 90:10 Home Theatre : Music

So to summarize I’m looking for recommendations on center channel plans to grab and follow that would be a good match with my existing equipment.

What do you think ?

Thanks in advance for your input !
    - J
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

You might contact Adire and it's distributors to see if anyone has a pair of AV8's. Then you could build the center that matches your existing speakers.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Jason_AZ1
      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by ThomasW
      You might contact Adire and it's distributors to see if anyone has a pair of AV8's. Then you could build the center that matches your existing speakers.
      I should have mentioned in my post, the Adire rep I spoke with said they aren't making them and they don't have any more and neither do their distributors. Then he recommended the Extremis.

- J

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Options are ............

Gut your 81's use the AV8's from them (combined with a new AV5) to make the LCC. Then replace the rears with something newer

Or..........

Make a completely different center.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"