X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PMazz
    • May 2001

Birth of a Media Center

Well I finally started making some headway again on my Media Center project . Page 2 has the latest doings.

Pete
    Last edited by ThomasW; 22 April 2012, 13:24 Sunday.
    Birth of a Media Center
  • Paul H
    • Feb 2004

No surprise that your cabinetry looks great ... :T

What options are you looking at for a screen?

Paul

Comment

• PMazz
      • May 2001

I tried various laminates ranging from the white/off white to the light grays. I also compared these to Dalite samples I had ordered. The laminate, at least some of them, worked very well. For anyone that wants a fixed screen it would be an easy build, high quality screen for not a lot of money. The other advantage, for folks that have projectors that would benefit from some color tweaking, the range of colors available from all the manufacturers is good.

Of course in my situation I require a roll up screen and laminate is just too brittle and stiff. I may wind up ordering screen material from Dalite and making my own screen.

Pete
      Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• Paul H
        • Feb 2004

I've seen a couple of fold-up screens posted somewhere - if I can remember/find the links I'll post them. They were hinged at the top and folded up to the ceiling when not required - might be a thought.

Paul

Comment

• dyazdani
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Oct 2005

Very nice! Great cabinets and wine bar. So do you live in PA or FL? Both?
          Danish

Comment

• Jack Gilvey
            • Aug 2001

Wow...amazing work.

Comment

• Jason_AZ1
              • Mar 2006

Screen Material

Some of of the DIY projector folks use blackout cloth for screen material and are happy with the results. Available in Joanne Fabrics or the like. Dirt Cheap. Normal use is to make curtains for day sleepers which allow no light through. One side is nice and shiny.

Just a thought,
              - J

Comment

• JoshK
                • Mar 2005

excellent job! :T I love checking out sites like yours where someone clearly loved what they were doing and did an excellent creative job on a project.
                Last edited by JoshK; 17 March 2006, 18:13 Friday.

Comment

• Skynut
                  • Mar 2006

That room looks good, I am going to follow your progress.
                  I am just starting to look into the infinite baffle sub. It sounds interesting.
                  Skynut

Comment

• PMazz
                    • May 2001

Paul: A fold up is not an option as I have recessed lights in the ceiling. I wanted a stealthier approach anyway.

Danish: PA. The 14" of rain and a clogged drainage pipe caused the flooding. We were just in the path of 2 of Floridas leftovers.

Jason: I guess BO cloth could be made into a retractable screen. I'll have to check it out, thanks.

Jack, Josh, Skynut: Thanks. It took me a while to get back to working on this, now I know why . I forgot how tedious line arrays were to put together. The casework is the easy part.

Pete
                    Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• Dennis H
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Aug 2002

Pete, you can get a manual pulldown Dalite High Power for about the cost of the fabric. They're popular in schools, etc., so they don't have the big markup of the "home theater" stuff. Call AVS for a quote on a model C with the HP fabric. I'm told they're about the cheapest around. The HP is very bright as long as you're on-axis and it seems to hide waves and ripples better than most pulldowns. Probably something about it being retroreflective.

Comment

• PMazz
                        • May 2001

My problem with stock screens is their sizes fall in between what I have to work with. As for the Hi Power material, it's something I didn't get samples of as I thought the gain was too high. Another thought along your line of reasoning is to buy one of their larger sizes and take it apart, cut it down to what I need and just mount it w/o the outer case. It's going to be hidden by a valance of some sort so I don't need it. The waves and ripples are what worry me tho. I was thinking of adding some weight to the bottom rail but I need the mechanism in hand to see if that's possible.

The decision of a screen was the major stumbling block for me. I played around with so many goofy ideas and wound up coming full circle. Someone else told me that Dalite will basically make anything you want so I'm checking that out. I probably need to talk to someone from Dalite directly, instead of going thru the distributor.

Pete
                        Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• Dennis H
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Aug 2002

I think Dalite will make them any size and charge you for the next larger stock size. AVS can give you the skinny. They sell a ton of them and know what's up with custom stuff.

Because of its retroreflective nature, the HP only gets full gain if your eye is right by the projector. If the projector is on the ceiling it will be dimmer sitting down, but uniformly dimmer; it's a champ of edge to edge uniformity with zero hotspotting. My friend has one and I think it looks great. We covered half his screen with a white sheet and it was no contest. I'm a fan of bright screens. None of them are as bright as an RPTV so I'll take all I can get.

Comment

• ThomasW
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

Just so we don't get into trouble I'll remind everyone that Carada is a forum sponsor...:wink:

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• PMazz
                              • May 2001

Tom, I already looked and they seem to only have fixed screens available. Sorry tho.

Pete
                              Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• PMazz
                                • May 2001

Here's the before and after measurements of the new LAs. Blue is before, green after 5kHz notch and level matching. Overall I'm pretty pleased with the sound quality (love big boxes!). I may not miss the dipole config after all..... well maybe just a little .

Pete
                                Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• PMazz
                                  • May 2001

Finally done!!!! arty:

Check it out the final pics here or from the beginning here .

Pete
                                  Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• cobbpa
                                    • Apr 2005

Wow...very impressive!

What woofers are in the line array? You gave away those Dayton Alums (thank you!) so I'm curious what went in.

Comment

• Brian Walter
                                      • Sep 2005

Very impressive, We need more people like you to motivate the rest of us. Looks like you really took your time and did an excellent job.

Brian Walter
                                      Last edited by Brian Walter; 04 October 2006, 08:41 Wednesday.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by cobbpa
                                        Wow...very impressive!

What woofers are in the line array? You gave away those Dayton Alums (thank you!) so I'm curious what went in.
                                        RS180's

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• beto
                                          • Aug 2006

Originally posted by PMazz
                                          Finally done!!!! arty:

Check it out the final pics here or from the beginning here .

Pete
                                          Dude, you sure are TALENTED! Hats off to you! man, if I only had your talent... :T

Comment

• ThomasW
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by beto
                                            Dude, you sure are TALENTED! Hats off to you! man, if I only had your talent
                                            That's not his talent, he owns Bucks County Woodworking. So his employees did the building.... :B

Just kidding....

Over the years everything Pete's built has come out looking great, so once again, congrats Mr.M...... :T

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Jim85IROC
                                              • Jan 2005

Outstanding.

I'm also intrigued by your line arrays. Any info on those?

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Aug 2000

There's a thread about them...Do a search for threads started by 'PMazz'

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• PMazz
                                                  • May 2001

Hey thanks guys!

I'd like to take credit for it but my wife is the one who spurred me on (more like cattle prod) . I'd have been happy with raw MDF.

Pete
                                                  Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• PMazz
                                                    • May 2001

Originally posted by ThomasW
                                                    That's not his talent, he owns Bucks County Woodworking. So his employees did the building.... :B
                                                    I can't tell you how many funny looks I got from the guys while building these . They all thought I was out of my mind (probably right).

The good news is the new rig actually sounds pretty good! I still have some acoustic tweaking to do here and there but I'm not too displeased with all the compromises I had to make.

Of course I'd be remiss to thank TW and Jon (and everyone else) for all the help and advice I've received.

Pete
                                                    Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• Dennis H
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • Aug 2002

Great job Pete. Of course we would have expected nothing less. Funny how the wife manages to prod one into taking a bussmans holiday and doing "work" at home.

Comment

• PMazz
                                                        • May 2001

Originally posted by Dennis H
                                                        Great job Pete. Of course we would have expected nothing less. Funny how the wife manages to prod one into taking a bussmans holiday and doing "work" at home.
                                                        Yea, women want silly things like finishes and esthetics and carpeting and new furniture and.....

I was more intent on making the fewest compromises (audio/visual).

So the new carpet is in and the new furniture is due beginning of December. Ain't married life grand? :B

Pete
                                                        Birth of a Media Center

Comment

Working...
                                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                        Search Result for "|||"