X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Exocer
    • Feb 2006

DIY enclosure

This is what i've got so far. I plan to double up on the side walls. First I do want to focus on the inner shell though as suggested. The front will be about 2.25" thick, but the driver will be mounted to only 1.5" of that. I chose the stevenn route and just routed a larger hole for the driver to sit in for a flush look.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SSPX0080.webp
Views:	22
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	944621

Name:	SSPX0079.webp
Views:	24
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	944622

Will it be necessary to do window bracing if i double up on the panels and triple the front baffle?

it will house a rhythmik servo kit.
    Last edited by theSven; 08 July 2023, 13:25 Saturday. Reason: Update image location
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Window bracing is always a good idea.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• dyazdani
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Oct 2005

I would still add the window bracing...

Don't roll out of bed too quickly, might catch a sensitive part on the clamps :rofl:
      Danish

Comment

• Exocer
        • Feb 2006

LOLOL Nice, one.

Comment

• steve nn
          • Jan 2006

Will it be necessary to do window bracing if i double up on the panels and triple the front baffle?
          Hey you made it over! That's the advice I always received and am now passing it on. After building a couple, I'm a firm believer in that advise. Looks like things are coming along just fine...I especially like the way your baffle is firming up! :lol:

Comment

• Exocer
            • Feb 2006

steve! yes things are finally comming along! I looked at your subs, as you can see i think there are some similarities in our front baffles haha. I definitely took your advice, and I like the way it looks with the driver sitting in there...Theres one thing I dont know though, how exactly will i make certain that the driver holes in the other two pieces match up perfectly with everything else?

Also, how will i trim down the pieces that are only 1/4" too large to fit between the sidewalls? These pieces are important, as they will be used for window bracing.

Edit: another thing, Steve I may also copy your braces. The squares look a lot more simpler than making small circles, and I assume it works just as well?

Comment

• steve nn
              • Jan 2006

how exactly will i make certain that the driver holes in the other two pieces match up perfectly with everything else?
              Yours is going to be slightly different but very close. From what I can see, your going to put the other two baffle panels on the inside and they are already glued in place? Please tell me they aren't glued in place yet? If they are.. we'll work around it. Lets get this squared away first before we move on to your other questions.

Comment

• Exocer
                • Feb 2006

They're definitely not glued in place. I thought itd be a better idea to cut those identical holes before glueing them in. :B

Comment

• steve nn
                  • Jan 2006

They're definitely not glued in place. I thought itd be a better idea to cut those identical holes before glueing them in.
                  Most definitely!... After fitting the two inner baffle panels and having them marked off exactly where they go..(looks like maybe you have done this?) take them out and draw a line corner to corner to find the middle. draw a circle 7" out from the middle of the circle. In the middle of that circle drill a small hole so you can approach it from both sides with your router. Be sure to check your router before you make the first plunge as not to go over 7" though. After marking every thing off, go ahead and dry fit it again to make sure everything lines up? If it does..put a couple screws through the two inside panels to hold them together so when you make your cuts everything will keep in line. After routering out the baffles and placing them..you then can take some sandpaper and sand around the cut you just made.

I elected to do one at a time as you could though. Just use the first one you cut out for a guide on the second one. You have to be sure you have them marked off so well that when you use one as a guide it's in the exact position as it was when they were together inside your enclosure. There is a couple other ways that would work out also, but I don't know if you have a trim bit or not for your router? Do you have a jig or are you going to have to make one? A $1 12" wooded ruler will actually suffice for a one time project though.

Comment

• Exocer
                    • Feb 2006

I actually did buy the jasper jig, which i used for the first hole. I dont understand the part where you say make a circle 7" out from the center. Why 7" and not the actual size I need it to be?

Right now, I only have a nice carbide straight bit which i used for cutting the first hole. The two inner pieces are where they need to be, but one of them is slightly too tall on one side, so i have to trim this down before I do any screw gluing or cutting i assume? And exactly what type of bit could be used with my plunge to trim this?

Comment

• steve nn
                      • Jan 2006

I dont understand the part where you say make a circle 7" out from the center. Why 7" and not the actual size I need it to be?
                      I thought you were using a 7" driver? :lol: 7" out from the middle of the circle will give you a 14" circle. You have a jig so this doesn't apply.
                      And exactly what type of bit could be used with my plunge to trim this?
                      Flush trim bits are your freind. http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=11322 You should be able to use your straight bit with a guide though.

Comment

• Exocer
                        • Feb 2006

Thanks for that, I like knowing exactly what it is I need to get!

Also, there was a cutting error at HD which resulted in half of this side being about 1mm lower than than it should be. Look at the gap it creates when the top piece is sitting on top

Name:	SSPX0089.webp
Views:	21
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	944623

Can i just put some wood glue in there to fill up that region?
                        Last edited by theSven; 08 July 2023, 13:26 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Dennis H
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Aug 2002

Bondo (auto body filler) works well. Get it at any auto parts store.

Comment

• Exocer
                            • Feb 2006

Ok progress is key
                            It took me a while to do decide, but I went for circle cutting my braces. I hope this is acceptable?

Name:	SSPX0091.webp
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	944624

Name:	SSPX0093.webp
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	944625

Name:	SSPX0098.webp
Views:	21
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	944626

All that's left is to cut the rectangle for the amp. I guess I'll take a stab at it with the router. I already have the area I need to cut outlined.

Edit by moderator to change the pic to links since the images haven't been resized and are way to big.
                            Last edited by theSven; 08 July 2023, 13:27 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• eperson
                              • Mar 2006

Window braces might have been a bit stronger, but those will do the job.

Comment

• Exocer
                                • Feb 2006

Sweet. Sorry about postng too many pics Thomas.
                                I have the driver screwed into the baffle and things are lining up alright, although they're far from perfect...

Tomorrow I'll be routing out the rectangle for the plate amp and gluing everything up. Wish me luck guys!

Comment

• steve nn
                                  • Jan 2006

I have the driver screwed into the baffle and things are lining up alright,
                                  This is a good thing.
                                  Wish me luck guys!
                                  I wish you luck!

Comment

• Exocer
                                    • Feb 2006

Everything is completed. Unfortunately i got a faulty driver and have to send it back for a replacement, but this is what im getting @ listening position in my 10'x13' room 8' ceilings. @ < 20% gain -5db on lfe channel.

Name:	rythmiknoeq.webp
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	944627
                                    Last edited by theSven; 08 July 2023, 13:28 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• ThomasW
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2000

NICE!

Piece of cake to make a really pretty house curve.... :T

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Exocer
                                        • Feb 2006

yeah, that curvewas completely unintentional. BFD was not used here. thought id share that lol.

Comment

• steve nn
                                          • Jan 2006

Lets see your cross is at 35, right?

Comment

• Exocer
                                            • Feb 2006

lol funny Id say at about 35hz is the point where room gain stops boosting things.

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"