Acoustic Ceiling Tile as cabinet dampening material?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BretH
    • Feb 2006

Acoustic Ceiling Tile as cabinet dampening material?

Was in Home Depot and I did a double-take at their 2x4 sheets of acoustic ceiling tile - hard, thin base of some dimpled white material with about 1/2" of dense fiberglass bonded to it. It looked like it might be great for a cheap cabinet dampening material with the white side glued to the MDF and the fiberglass facing inward. Anyone used this?
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

As cheap if not cheaper and much more effective to use 3.5" fiberglass batts

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• stewfoo
      • Jul 2005

I used auralex
      Attached Files
      Stew

Comment

• Gargoyle
        • Nov 2005

I have used some kind of Rockfon few years ago for my BR floorstanders. Disadvantage is that the majority of the acoustic ceiling tiles has to be suspended for proper function (should not be a problem for tall floorstanders). Those which are not, are rather thick 8-12cm, hard to find and expensive in my eyes (say 25€ per sqm). The advantage is it has its own specification sheet and had cost me nothing in that case. You can choose that with the best absorbtion index in range you need. Of course it has a similar problem with the effectiveness as the other fiber insulations have in a bass region, but there are some deviations. Workability is great, PVA glue is fine. In your case further filling could show to be necessary.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"