X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nathan P
    • Mar 2006

Unpowered sonosub?

How would a sonosub sound if powered by the amplifier in my reciever? I've been thinking about what to do, as I want bigger bass than my PSB alpha subsonic 1 (A good 10" sub, but small, don't get me wrong, I love PSB)

Thanks,
    Nathan
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Depends on the driver used in the sub and the power of the amp in the receiver.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Nathan P
      • Mar 2006

I think it's 100 watts, it's a Yamaha RXV-995. The reason I'm asking is that for my dad to go for this it has to be pretty cheap.

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

100 watts isn't much for a sub. You can buy a 250 watt plate amp for about $100

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Nathan P
          • Mar 2006

Never mind then, if it's that cheap then it won't be a problem. What would be some good starting points for a basic sonosub? I'm thinking maybe 3' high max. All other options are open. but I probably won't want to exceed about $500

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

There are a 1/2 dozen or so sonatube sub threads just on the main page of this forum, and probably 2 dozen more in the archives. Have a look around and see what's there...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Nathan P
              • Mar 2006

Well, the Subsonic 1 is only producing 65 watts, would it be more powerful if I hooked it up so the Reciever was powering it?

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

If you can bypass the amp in the subsonic then yes.

BUT... usually the amp built into a sub is matched to the power limits of the driver.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Nathan P
                  • Mar 2006

I've tried to find this but no luck. Are there any advantages to the sonosubs besides the enclosure being easily made and cheap? What are the disadvantages? I have access to a full woodworking shop so fabrication will not be a problem with almost any design.

Comment

• ThomasW
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

There is no sonic difference between a tube sub and a properly build box sub. As one might expect tube subs are cheap, very lightweight, relatively quick and easy to build.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Nathan P
                      • Mar 2006

Okay then! Sounds like the only downside is trying to get veneer to curve around it nicely.

Comment

• ThomasW
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

The tube is smooth in the inside (remember it's for casting concrete). As a result it has ridges on the outside so using a rigid veneer is problematic.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Nathan P
                          • Mar 2006

I thought that the outside just had the spiral pattern?

Comment

• ThomasW
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

The spiral pattern is bumpy where the layers of paper used to make the tube overlap

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• dyazdani
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Oct 2005

It IS possible to get them smooth on the outside. I'm not sure what "type" people use for their sonosubs (concrete mold type?), but we have hundreds of them here at the plant that would be perfect (as they are not for concrete molds).

The bulk of them are 16" (ID I think) with around 1/2" to 5/8" wall thickness (we change this sometimes, not sure what we currently have). Pretty heavy though, about 95lbs or so for a 102" length.
                              Danish

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"